Home Run | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Home Run

Agreed. If Golden falters at Miami for a couple seasons or if Holtz leaves USF for greener pastures, Cristobal is on deck.

Its not just Miami either ... don't be surprised if Dooley is out at UT if they don't produce this season ... hell even Ritch isn't exactly safe down here ... coaching turnover is high and I wouldn't be surprised to see Cristobal at a new school by '14.

Pretty sure Conley was let go well after he decommitted ... but honestly if the home thing was a factor why even bother looking at the Cuse ... but I would agree with the regional and playing time aspects of your reasoning. But the fact is they are not a BCS school .. and their only claim to fame is brawling with the U. Somehow I see Cristobal as a risk .. someone is going to snatch him up real soon is my guess. Especially if he has another good season.

Conley was let go after the season in early December. It doesn't really matter though, the kid stayed home in Florida where he is from. That shouldn't be such a shock but then add to it that Mario Cristobal is a hell of recruiter and probably promised the kid a starting spot this season.

It's not like he's going to Florida Atlantic. FIU is a solid up and coming program and they beat Louisville last year.

Conley was let go after the season in early December. It doesn't really matter though, the kid stayed home in Florida where he is from. That shouldn't be such a shock but then add to it that Mario Cristobal is a hell of recruiter and probably promised the kid a starting spot this season.

It's not like he's going to Florida Atlantic. FIU is a solid up and coming program and they beat Louisville last year.

I'm not disagreeing ... however the moment Cristobal is gone that will more than likely change. I know that for some kids coaching stability is big ... I'm not sure Cristobal is all that secure ... in a good way however.

I'm not disagreeing ... however the moment Cristobal is gone that will more than likely change. I know that for some kids coaching stability is big ... I'm not sure Cristobal is all that secure ... in a good way however.

For sure he's not stable, he was Rutgers first choice but turned them down - he's obviously waiting for a bigger better gig. That said, great recruiters are great for a reason and we're talking 17/18 year old kids.

Its not just Miami either ... don't be surprised if Dooley is out at UT if they don't produce this season ... hell even Ritch isn't exactly safe down here ... coaching turnover is high and I wouldn't be surprised to see Cristobal at a new school by '14.
the fact that Richt is still at UGA is mind boggling to me. Sure he brings in talent, but based on that talent he still can't take the team very far

Pretty sure Conley was let go well after he decommitted ... but honestly if the home thing was a factor why even bother looking at the Cuse ... but I would agree with the regional and playing time aspects of your reasoning. But the fact is they are not a BCS school .. and their only claim to fame is brawling with the U. Somehow I see Cristobal as a risk .. someone is going to snatch him up real soon is my guess. Especially if he has another good season.

Others may know the backstory, but it's interesting that his de-commit came just 1 week after his official visit.

Time will tell, but I don't see Owens as a huge loss. I like Washington (2012) and Hodge (2013) way more at OLB.

the fact that Richt is still at UGA is mind boggling to me. Sure he brings in talent, but based on that talent he still can't take the team very far

Because that talent keeps getting arrested, suspended, and/or kicked off the team.

That being said, UGA is in a position to make some noise in the SEC this year.

Dwight, Floyd, Chandler, Mr Brown, Rob Long ... ACC announcement, team shooting video promo for the Meadowland game against top 3 USC, Gus Edwards in tow, wowed by Ernie Davis exhibit (Heisman), Beautiful weather, a lot of friends from the city ... the staff (and TGD) did everything right and everything went smoothly and without a hitch

From what I hear an A++ effort all around
We put our best foot forward.. It's all you could ask of the staff/school. Hopefully it had a major impact on his perception of the school... "Why not Syracuse?"

Because that talent keeps getting arrested, suspended, and/or kicked off the team.

That being said, UGA is in a position to make some noise in the SEC this year.

Indeed ... plus they did make the SEC championship game which is no easy feat ... but with Crowell in trouble again who knows? They should be good but LSU and Bama are going to be good again ... UF is on the rise ... and only God knows what Spurrier has going on under his visor.

Indeed ... plus they did make the SEC championship game which is no easy feat ... but with Crowell in trouble again who knows? They should be good but LSU and Bama are going to be good again ... UF is on the rise ... and only God knows what Spurrier has going on under his visor.

The schedule sets up very nicely for UGA this year. Their crossover games are @Auburn and vs Ole Miss so no Bama, LSU, or Arkansas until the SEC title game.

They have Aaron Murray at QB and that guy can flat out play. They are going to score alot of points this year, and their defense is plenty capable.

I'll take the winner of UGA @ USC to win the SEC East and Spurrier doesn't have a QB of Murray's caliber to compete with.

Dwight, Floyd, Chandler, Mr Brown, Rob Long ... ACC announcement, team shooting video promo for the Meadowland game against top 3 USC, Gus Edwards in tow, wowed by Ernie Davis exhibit (Heisman), Beautiful weather, a lot of friends from the city ... the staff (and TGD) did everything right and everything went smoothly and without a hitch

From what I hear an A++ effort all around

Like I said elsewhere, one hell of a day.

For sure he's not stable, he was Rutgers first choice but turned them down - he's obviously waiting for a bigger better gig. That said, great recruiters are great for a reason and we're talking 17/18 year old kids.
Wait, wait, someone turned Rutgers down? I thought they were a destination school for coaches.

Rutgers fans are t
Wait, wait, someone turned Rutgers down? I thought they were a destination school for coaches.
They pinnacle of thinking they are the class of college athletics and academics Worked with way too many of them. Every player recruited is going to give them a NC in that player's sport. Surely you must realize that only a coach from Rutgers like Schiano would jump and cheer off the field after luckily beating the Orangemen like they just won a NC or conference title. Who can forget that display from that POS coach.:crazy:

Richt has a winning pct of 73% during his tenure at UGA and has taken the team to a bowl every year he has been there. He has also been in 4 SEC chanmpionship games.

Sure, Richt has done a few dumb things but he is not going anywhere. UGA Athletic Director Greg McGarity has publicly acknowledged talks about getting Richt another contract extension.

Richt has a winning pct of 73% during his tenure at UGA and has taken the team to a bowl every year he has been there. He has also been in 4 SEC chanmpionship games.

Sure, Richt has done a few dumb things but he is not going anywhere. UGA Athletic Director Greg McGarity has publicly acknowledged talks about getting Richt another contract extension.
Richt has underachieved greatly with the talent he has had... How many of those SEC Championship games did he win?

He won four of them in his tenure. This is the SEC and I do not agree that he underachieved with that record. Everybody in the SEC has talent. He is a very good coach and I do not see what anyone could possibly want as an improvement to his record. If he got fired he would get hired in a nanosecond.

I can think of a couple of reasons:

1. Owens is from Palatka, Fla (south of Jacksonville).
2. Owens' position coach and probably his primary recruiter (Dan Conley) was let go right around the time her de-committed (late Jan).
3. Owens may have looked at our LB depth chart and decided his best chance to see the field was at a school like FIU.
4. Mario Cristobal is slowly building the FIU program with Florida talent, which went 7-5 last season (OK, it was a Rutgers-esque schedule), including an appearance in the Beef O'Brady's Bowl.
If I remember correctly, their was also a need for him to be close to family, ailing mother or father I think.

If I remember correctly, their was also a need for him to be close to family, ailing mother or father I think.
I hadn't heard that, but maybe his trip to Syracuse was a reality check about the distance from home, and caused him to have second thoughts about having an ailing parent so far away.

He won four of them in his tenure. This is the SEC and I do not agree that he underachieved with that record. Everybody in the SEC has talent. He is a very good coach and I do not see what anyone could possibly want as an improvement to his record. If he got fired he would get hired in a nanosecond.

UGA fans think he's underacheived. Making the SEC championship game year probably saved his job.

UGA fans think he's underacheived. Making the SEC championship game year probably saved his job.

That is an understatement ... down here half the fans want him crucified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom