Home workouts. What are you doing? | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Home workouts. What are you doing?

When I go into a hammer curl motion, there is a painful pinch at my right elbow. Pretty sure I went overboard on pull-ups/chin-ups and static holds. Been a month since I’ve done anything and there has been only a slight relief.

Approaching 40 blows. Might just hit squats and deadlifts for the next month and do nothing else. Sucks because I love the chin bar and pressing overhead and bench, but I’ve got to adapt to movements that don’t cause pain, at least temporarily.

This happened to me too. I went down in weight that was using and focusing more on time under tension by increasing the eccentric motion. You still get the increased blood flow with the slow movement while not putting as much tension on the pain.

This happened to me too. I went down in weight that was using and focusing more on time under tension by increasing the eccentric motion. You still get the increased blood flow with the slow movement while not putting as much tension on the pain.
I think it was Arnold in his Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding that I read way back in the day as a young lifter... something like how a veteran can get a lot more out of a lighter dumbbell than a younger lifter can get out of pushing heavier weight. Pretty sure what you said is what Arnold was speaking about. I’ve got to dial it down and work smarter.

I think it was Arnold in his Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding that I read way back in the day as a young lifter... something like how a veteran can get a lot more out of a lighter dumbbell than a younger lifter can get out of pushing heavier weight. Pretty sure what you said is what Arnold was speaking about. I’ve got to dial it down and work smarter.

Absolutely. I did a group training class last Thursday and incorporated zero weights besides a band for their legs. Every exercise included isometric work (go to the peak of the movement and hold) and then incorporate the full movement 30-60 seconds after holding. When you put that much work into not only the muscle but the surrounding muscle fibers, it humble you very quickly!

Yes, focus more on the tempo and the form and once you feel healthy and comfortable, move on up!

That's the most disconcerting thing about getting old. You get some momentum going with workouts and you get hit with a pain that makes you have to dial back. My wife loves to run, but she's got bursitis in her heels that are just killing her. And when she can't work out every day, we all suffer.

I mentioned that I got in a bike wreck a week ago yesterday. My bone bruises still hurt, and the right quad is still very sore from hitting whatever rock I hit. No more rubbing sand on it and walking it off.
Have her look at her hip abductor strength. That was the key to a lot of patients that had foot/ankle pn when I did outpatient therapy.

Last edited:
Have her look at her hip abductor strength. That was the key to a lot of patients rhat haf foot/ankle pn when I did outpatient therapy.
Will do! Thanks.

These IMHO are the best adjustable dumbbells out there.

They are an additional 10% off use Promo Code CORE10 for $315 + tax Sale ends Sunday. They do sell out a lot...

These IMHO are the best adjustable dumbbells out there.

They are an additional 10% off use Promo Code CORE10 for $315 + tax Sale ends Sunday. They do sell out a lot...

I’ve been keeping an eye out for something like this, thanks for the recommendation. Not sure yet if I’ll pull the trigger, but I was unaware of this set

I’ve been keeping an eye out for something like this, thanks for the recommendation. Not sure yet if I’ll pull the trigger, but I was unaware of this set
I have them...they are really nice and fast changing weights settings. They only go up to 50lbs but that should be good for most. I like they look like dumbbells and the handles are really nice. Metal underneath with a nice rubber grip. The only downside is the dumbbell plates are about 7.5 inches in diameter and using it for lower weights it feels kinda weird.

Last edited: