Home workouts. What are you doing? | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Home workouts. What are you doing?

i lost it on the rocks around 2:16. I did not do that jump they scoped out just before.
I'm not a mountain biker but that looks a little scary. And video never completely captures how steep a hill is.

Literally went over my bars today. Bruised my right thigh, right shin, scratched up my left shoulder, right elbow, and left ankle. So yeah, it was a roller. But the bike emerged unscathed.

Double red diamond trail called Visceral at Cochran's Ski Area. I took the A line and didn't do it well.
I hope I didn't jinx you. Heal up and be careful, but also have fun.

Crazy...sounds like you dodged a bullet. When you hit 50-52...a switch will probably flip and you'll avoid rough trails going forward

Uh, nope!

I’m beyond that threshold, and riding gnarlier lines than ever. :cool:

It helps to ride with younger, highly skilled riders to make you up your game.

Or die. :p

I'm not a mountain biker but that looks a little scary. And video never completely captures how steep a hill is.

That looks super fun.

Agreed that video always makes stuff look tame. It’s amazing how benign some truly sketchy stuff looks on video, vs from on the actual bike.

here’s something my buddy shot from last year - I’m the guy in front.
(sorry it’s not the greatest video)
This trail doesn’t actually exist, as it’s not on any maps.
Ive been on it with other riders and have seen 2 different guys wreck hard on it.
We average about 19-20 mph on this typically.

Last edited:
I've found Vermonters to be a little different when it comes to risky activities and age. I'm 51 as well and about half of the other competitors in my ski racing league are my age and up.
I got scared enough in my life by 44 -->aviation
I guess I got it out of my system

That looks super fun.

Agreed that video always makes stuff look tame. It’s amazing how benign some truly sketchy stuff looks on video, vs from on the actual bike.

here’s something my buddy shot from last year - I’m the guy in front.
(sorry it’s not the greatest video)
This trail doesn’t actually exist, as it’s not on any maps.
Ive been on it with other riders and have seen 2 different guys wreck hard on it.
We average about 19-20 mph on this typically.

That was awesome. There’s a trail near morrisville that skirts a stream that is similar. Not super steep, but a ton of super fun pops and hits.

I want to get back and ride that trail I fell on today as soon as I can. The climb was a bear, and the first downhill we did was stupid. Super tight old school VT single track with about a hundred sap lines between 4 and 6 feet above the trail. One tried to rip my camelback off.

My goal is 10 workouts a week. Probably average 9. 5 days of road cycling. usually about 20 miles at 15-16 mph. I admire those that go off-road but that is not for me. 5 days in the gym for about 75 minutes each day. I'll be 74 1/2 the end of the month.

Go 'Cuse!

Okay, here's a weird one. Lately, every time I do a set of push-ups, my right tri cramps up immediately afterward. I drink plenty of water, and have a balanced diet and take supplements.

What's going on?

Okay, here's a weird one. Lately, every time I do a set of push-ups, my right tri cramps up immediately afterward. I drink plenty of water, and have a balanced diet and take supplements.

What's going on?

Maybe you’ve been, ahem, over-developing your right biceps during the pandemic? ;)

Could be a muscle imbalance.

When I go into a hammer curl motion, there is a painful pinch at my right elbow. Pretty sure I went overboard on pull-ups/chin-ups and static holds. Been a month since I’ve done anything and there has been only a slight relief.

Approaching 40 blows. Might just hit squats and deadlifts for the next month and do nothing else. Sucks because I love the chin bar and pressing overhead and bench, but I’ve got to adapt to movements that don’t cause pain, at least temporarily.

When I go into a hammer curl motion, there is a painful pinch at my right elbow. Pretty sure I went overboard on pull-ups/chin-ups and static holds. Been a month since I’ve done anything and there has been only a slight relief.

Approaching 40 blows. Might just hit squats and deadlifts for the next month and do nothing else. Sucks because I love the chin bar and pressing overhead and bench, but I’ve got to adapt to movements that don’t cause pain, at least temporarily.
Where on the elbow?

Where on the elbow?
Outside of the right elbow, just above and below. If it were a regular curling moron there is no discomfort. Only slightly at peak contraction.

Oddly enough, if I search my right tricep for trigger points the lower part of the “horseshoe” has a couple knots.

Outside of the right elbow, just above and below. If it were a regular curling moron there is no discomfort. Only slightly at peak contraction.

Oddly enough, if I search my right tricep for trigger points the lower part of the “horseshoe” has a couple knots.
in the same area as tennis elbow? Have you tried wearing one of those tendinitis straps on your forearm? Finding a physical therapist that does dry needling may help.

in the same area as tennis elbow? Have you tried wearing one of those tendinitis straps on your forearm? Finding a physical therapist that does dry needling may help.
Haven’t tried one. If it doesn’t improve in the next 2-3 weeks I’ll check in with my doc.

I don’t have experience with dry needling. Have you had any luck with it?

Haven’t tried one. If it doesn’t improve in the next 2-3 weeks I’ll check in with my doc.

I don’t have experience with dry needling. Have you had any luck with it?
Yeah. I'm a PTA that has worked with a number PTs trained in it. My right levator scapulae likes to knot up from time to time and so I have had in done on me. It feels weird but is really effective for releasing active trigger points. I've seen it work really well with patients that have certain types of chronic pn too. If you have some sort of tendinitis, it probably wouldn't be the only thing you need but would be a great tool to help it.

Last edited:
Fair point.
My doctor told me that after 40, things may hurt and don't work right - but usually for a reason. After 50 ... all bets are off.

I'm not quite 50 and I decided I was going to incorporate a day of hill sprints into my weekly routine ... two weeks later, I have a gimpy hamstring and had to take 10 days off. :(
So I’m back at the gym doing Olympic lifts and while I lost 20 lbs during quarantine boy did I get weaker! My max squat has decreased by about 60 pounds.
Don't worry, I found them.

The max should come back pretty quick.

My doctor told me that after 40, things may hurt and don't work right - but usually for a reason. After 50 ... all bets are off.

I'm not quite 50 and I decided I was going to incorporate a day of hill sprints into my weekly routine ... two weeks later, I have a gimpy hamstring and had to take 10 days off. :(

Don't worry, I found them.

The max should come back pretty quick.
That's the most disconcerting thing about getting old. You get some momentum going with workouts and you get hit with a pain that makes you have to dial back. My wife loves to run, but she's got bursitis in her heels that are just killing her. And when she can't work out every day, we all suffer.

I mentioned that I got in a bike wreck a week ago yesterday. My bone bruises still hurt, and the right quad is still very sore from hitting whatever rock I hit. No more rubbing sand on it and walking it off.