Honest question what was worse Saturday the coaching or execution? | Syracusefan.com

Honest question what was worse Saturday the coaching or execution?

Alsacs

Living Legend
The coaches deserve legit criticism for the first quarter and game.

However re-watching it the OL was just brutal.
The QB was poor.
The WRs had too many drops.
The RBs until Elmore just ran between the tackles.

Rewatching it the players were really flat offensively. The D played well enough to win. They just had a poor end of the game.

The QB was poor.

Rewatching it the players were really flat offensively. The D played well enough to win. They just had a poor end of the game.

IMO that was about as bad as I've seen players play; the offensive players.

I thought the defense was pretty tough, played well, and then ran out of gas. The punt muff and roughing kept them on the field for a lot more plays than they should've been.

We return that fumble recovery for a touchdown it's a different game. The drips were concerning as we lost 3 first downs due to drops. One would have been a 20 yard gain.

The QB was poor.

I already posted it in another thread but I have to wonder what the hell the scout team defense did all week. Dungey and our O-line looked lost. That's 100% on coaching. They even gave us the ball on their 4 yard line and we went backwards!

You can't use the excuse that it's hard to simulate their talent level. It's MTSU for Pete's sake!

The execution.

• The O-Line can't stop a nosebleed.
  • The unforced errors on special teams. Sean Riley's dropped punt swung the entire game. Syracuse had the momentum and could have created much needed separation. MTSU scored the ensuing possession. Cole Murphy missing another field goal on what is typically a chip shot. Babers should consider recruiting a soccer player for the position. Anything is better than what Syracuse currently has.
  • Countless drops by wide receivers including one by Philips that could have been a big offensive play if he didn't run before he had the ball.
  • The defense was the best it has been in the Babers era. They ran out of gas because the offense and special teams put them in a corner.

Forgot to mention the inability to convert turnovers into touchdowns. Down in the red zone three times and couldn't score six. There's no contest if SU did what they were supposed to do. Even without the offense clicking, at least in the first half Syracuse looked like the better team.

The offensive game plan and preparation in the 1st quarter were terrible, but the players were worse at the worst possible times.

The coaches didn't muff the punt, though they do continue to put a guy in a position he probably shouldn't be in. The coaches didn't drop passes; but if the older guys aren't going to give us anything, maybe we should try some of the younger ones.

The QB was poor.

I think the coaches hadn't seen their O get blown up like that in a long time. They have a lot of faith in the system and rightly so.

I'd go with poor QB play missing reads he normally makes and the drops by WRs who haven't done that since Dino got here.

We did not appear mentally prepared for the game. Thats on the coach in my opinion.

However, there were numerous mental errors that contributed to the loss. Mental errors are on the players.

Also, solid appearance by the student section.

unless we had access to the coaches, who can tell. the oline missed tons of blocks but so did the WR. the QB seemed to have one read most of the game.. The D was fine all but a handful of plays, cant ask for more than that. still waiting for a safety to show up. play with 9 guys on D is the real killer on pass plays.

not sure play calling was an issue once they realized we couldnt block anyone they had to back it off.

We didn't have a sense of urgency. Nobody really seemed to into it.

No heart. Mentally out of it. Making mistakes they don't normally.

Almost like something weird happened. Like the return of a coach who the players respect.

unless we had access to the coaches, who can tell. the oline missed tons of blocks but so did the WR. the QB seemed to have one read most of the game.. The D was fine all but a handful of plays, cant ask for more than that. still waiting for a safety to show up. play with 9 guys on D is the real killer on pass plays.

not sure play calling was an issue once they realized we couldnt block anyone they had to back it off.

Yeah, forced out of the spread formations killed our game plan.

The QB was poor.

Coaching. That game plan was horse and they never were able to adjust correctly. Shafer D allows for many mismatches. Instead we turtled up. Also it is the coaches who decide on personnel. Strickland is not a RB, neither is Neal. Custis drops killed us, we were better when he was out. Riley has been a muff waiting to happen. Was no surprise that it came.

Forgot to add decision to kick a FG

Asked this in the Game Thread, but whoever is in charge of the offensive line either needs to get their act together or it's time to move on. Going on year two with the same mistakes and no pass protection, blocking, etc. Pretty sad.

I think the coaches hadn't seen their O get blown up like that in a long time. They have a lot of faith in the system and rightly so.

I'd go with poor QB play missing reads he normally makes and the drops by WRs who haven't done that since Dino got here.
Their entire system is 10 plays in 20 different formations.

Execution and I don't think it's even close. WR's can't drop that many balls. They catch even just the balls that were gimmies and the whole play calling aspect is a moot issue. The WR's were absolutely terrible. There were other fails in execution; RB and QB in the very least but those drops by the WR's were absolute killers.

Reactions: FAL
I mean the worst part of Saturday was how long that game took.

I don't know how the rewatchers do it. I was kicking myself thinking how much of my life I pissed away watching it live on Saturday.

Re-watchers can skip thru all the regular timeouts, TV timeouts, replay timeouts, injury timeouts, and halftime. The problem with the re-watching was the play of our offense.

I don't know how it gets better. If teams will be "cramping" it will lengthen games. If they are going to replay literally everything (did Ishmael's 100th 2 yard catch actually gain 2 yards?), it will lengthen games. Almost all of the teams' collective 12 timeouts were used.

NCAA can fix things to keep the clock moving, set some better parameters on replay, and shorten halftime by about 4-5 minutes. Every little bit helps. But I don't think they will. And no one is ever going to lessen the amount of TV timeouts.

Re-watchers can skip thru all the regular timeouts, TV timeouts, replay timeouts, injury timeouts, and halftime. The problem with the re-watching was the play of our offense.

I don't know how it gets better. If teams will be "cramping" it will lengthen games. If they are going to replay literally everything (did Ishmael's 100th 2 yard catch actually gain 2 yards?), it will lengthen games. Almost all of the teams' collective 12 timeouts were used.

NCAA can fix things to keep the clock moving, set some better parameters on replay, and shorten halftime by about 4-5 minutes. Every little bit helps. But I don't think they will. And no one is ever going to lessen the amount of TV timeouts.

People complain about attendance at the Dome - and at a lot of other places not named SEC or Oklahoma - and 4 hours of this is a bigger deal than anything else.

I mean the worst part of Saturday was how long that game took.

I don't know how the rewatchers do it. I was kicking myself thinking how much of my life I pissed away watching it live on Saturday.
Win or lose the length of games is impacting the crowds nationwide. The major sports need to recognize and adjust.

Didn't the NFL just cut a TV time out introducing the side ad after scores and before the next kick? Ad revenue will have to get slicker inside the game eventually because people in 2017 are A) used to multi-tasking mentally and B) aren't sitting anywhere for 4 hours that doesn't involve a family member.

I would tell ya but I tried to watch the ESPN replay and the only thing worse than the Dome's sound system is ESPN's feed

Execution and I don't think it's even close. WR's can't drop that many balls. They catch even just the balls that were gimmies and the whole play calling aspect is a moot issue. The WR's were absolutely terrible. There were other fails in execution; RB and QB in the very least but those drops by the WR's were absolute killers.
i think it is both as well as talent. but what i question is will dino go with freshmen and other receivers who have not yet seen the field??? what does he do about the ol??? or do they just need more time???
we at this point have an offens e that is totally one dimensional --that being the side line pass. dungey will never make it through the season given the punishment he took from a MID Major. i do feel they had more speed, better ol, and better skill players than us. they were clearly better coached.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom