Honest question | Syracusefan.com

Honest question

W'boro'Cuse315

All American
I’ll preface this by saying that I’m not a knee-jerk, “the sky is falling” poster & my post history proves that. I also watch quite a bit of Lax, NEVER miss an SU game, very rarely miss any other ESPNU/B1G Network games, & watch the “condensed game” highlights of basically every game involving an ACC or top 15 team thanks to the Lacrosse Nation YouTube page.

My question is this, outside of Dordevic who’s obviously injured, would any of our offensive starting 6 (3 As & 3 Ms) start for another ACC team? It’s my opinion that none would. Curry would be the best bet & is a very promising young player but I think his talent & production are overblown just a bit by our fanbase because he’s our top middie. To be clear, I’m a huge Curry fan & am excited to see his game evolve over the next 2.5 years but I just can’t say with 100% conviction that he’d crack another ACC starting midline.

Not looking to troll, ruffle feathers, or build toward a bigger point here, just curious if anyone agrees/disagrees.

I think Trimboli could be a possibility. His shot placement can be questionable at times, but he makes plays.

I’ll preface this by saying that I’m not a knee-jerk, “the sky is falling” poster & my post history proves that. I also watch quite a bit of Lax, NEVER miss an SU game, very rarely miss any other ESPNU/B1G Network games, & watch the “condensed game” highlights of basically every game involving an ACC or top 15 team thanks to the Lacrosse Nation YouTube page.

My question is this, outside of Dordevic who’s obviously injured, would any of our offensive starting 6 (3 As & 3 Ms) start for another ACC team? It’s my opinion that none would. Curry would be the best bet & is a very promising young player but I think his talent & production are overblown just a bit by our fanbase because he’s our top middie. To be clear, I’m a huge Curry fan & am excited to see his game evolve over the next 2.5 years but I just can’t say with 100% conviction that he’d crack another ACC starting midline.

Not looking to troll, ruffle feathers, or build toward a bigger point here, just curious if anyone agrees/disagrees.
Voight is a very good crease attackman.

Tough question to pose on a off day for most but I think Trimboli and Curry could start on most other ACC teams.

Trimboli and curry for sure, voigt if they need an offball guy, Solomon the way he's playing this year if they don't have two dodging studs on attack or 3 on middie, which probably applies to every acc team besides UVA. Not sure about rehfuss this year but he would probably crack the top 6 at one or two. Lipka mayyybe not but if not he would see the field consistently on a second line for sure if not the first. Same for buttermore actually. It's a solid top 6. Below average attack and well above average midfield.

Tough question to pose on a off day for most but I think Trimboli and Curry could start on most other ACC teams.
Honestly, I’ve had these thoughts all year, after both the Duke & Hopkins wins. I could hear arguments on Curry & Trimboli. I would’ve been better off asking strictly about our attack. Does anyone think any of our starting As crack another ACC top line? I’ve watched UNC a bunch & I’m not convinced that Nate is better all-around than his younger bro Nicky right now.

Last edited:
Curry would and that’s it. No one else.

Cook would be your next closest but he’s a year away.

Honestly, I’ve had these thoughts all year, after both the Duke & Hopkins wins. I could hear arguments on Curry & Trimboli. I would’ve been better off asking strictly about our attack. Does anyone think any of our starting As crack another ACC top line? I’ve watched UNC a bunch & I’m not convinced that Nate is better all-around than his younger bro Nicky right now.
Attack is harder to answer. Voigt bring specific skills and Solomon an overall game that would fit into the chemistry/lineup of some and wouldn't with others. Meanwhile Refhus was preseason all acc though that view has likely dissipated given play to date. Solomon's bro is a top frosh, quicker with higher upside but when talking present Nate per game productivin surpasses and the intangibles he brings cant be measured. Suffice to say, wish both Georgians were here, fortunate to have one.
As far as starting mids, may lack that big bruising alpha but they are all good and would see significant pt elsewhere, both Curry and Lipka have had a drop-off in shooting percentages that detract some but they also have spurts of brilliance. Meanwhile Trimboli has somehow become underrated and underappreciated . Was unusually sloppy in ND game but also had another 2 goals. He has had 13 goals in last five games since altering shot yet to little applause.
Grass is always greener, we have several very good players who could play for anyone.

Attack is harder to answer. Voigt bring specific skills and Solomon an overall game that would fit into the chemistry/lineup of some and wouldn't with others. Meanwhile Refhus was preseason all acc though that view has likely dissipated given play to date. Solomon's bro is a top frosh, quicker with higher upside but when talking present Nate per game productivin surpasses and the intangibles he brings cant be measured. Suffice to say, wish both Georgians were here, fortunate to have one.
As far as starting mids, may lack that big bruising alpha but they are all good and would see significant pt elsewhere, both Curry and Lipka have had a drop-off in shooting percentages that detract some but they also have spurts of brilliance. Meanwhile Trimboli has somehow become underrated and underappreciated . Was unusually sloppy in ND game but also had another 2 goals. He has had 13 goals in last five games since altering shot yet to little applause.
Grass is always greener, we have several very good players who could play for anyone.

Good point. I think Curry needs to take a page out of Trimboli's book. Way to much sidearm from him lately, go back to overhand shots.

The attack unit certainly lacks star power, but I think Voigt starts anywhere except Duke, provided Danowski is playing Smith at attack. At UVa, Voight would be the third option behind Kraus and Laviano, but he'd still start.

Trimboli and Curry would certainly be in the conversation. At the moment, I'd rather have Trimboli; he's stepped his game up, while Curry is a tad inconsistent.

This thread prompted me to look at some numbers, and ... holy cow, do we allow a lot of shots on cage. Porter & Co are seeing 24 shots/game compared with 18 for Notre Dame and 18.5 for Duke. (UVA's goalies are seeing more shots than SU's, but their team gets a conference-leading 30 shots per game on goal. ) This tells me two things: Porter's having a very good year, and SU's team defense is a significant issue.

Impossible question because the play of other team members has a lot to do with the impression a single player gives. For example, put Lipka with Conrad and Aitken for a couple runs and watch his scoring go up.
Put Ament with Solomon and see the difference. Put me with Krauss and I'll score a couple. Nah. My point is the team is everything. If SU's attack could draw more doubles, Lipka, Carlin etc. would look better. The system determines individual outcomes in the majority of instances. The better the team the better the individual players look. My assertion rests on an arguable assumption. I assume all these players are of similar physical abilities, not equal but all within a close range. Obviously, players with much less ability would not gain much from such teammates.

This thread prompted me to look at some numbers, and ... holy cow, do we allow a lot of shots on cage. Porter & Co are seeing 24 shots/game compared with 18 for Notre Dame and 18.5 for Duke. (UVA's goalies are seeing more shots than SU's, but their team gets a conference-leading 30 shots per game on goal. ) This tells me two things: Porter's having a very good year, and SU's team defense is a significant issue.

To me the shooting is the statistic of the season - specifically the shots on goal. I know Syracuse is trying hard to hit corners, but so many times they just aren't getting the shot anywhere near the cage. Curry is clearly in a slump. Not sure what the team needs to do to improve this, but it has been going on all season. They are placing 58% of their shots on cage as opposed to allowing other teams to place 62%. Last year this statistic was reversed. And while they've had other seasons with low shots on goal percentage, they've never allowed the opponent to have a better percentage dating back to 2014 (as far back as I checked). This really seems like something that needs to be corrected (on both sides of the field) if they want to win more games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom