Honest rules question | Syracusefan.com

Honest rules question

Timonen

All Conference
If our guys whips the ball and hits buzz while on the court, wouldn't that be a technical on the vt bench? Why don't we ever go for this. It would be simple to just act like we're dribbling past him up court and the hit him like dodgeball.

As much as I would love that and have wished for it, if our players are doing that, their heads aren't in the game.

As much as I would love that and have wished for it, if our players are doing that, their heads aren't in the game.

Disagree. To me it would mean they are more in the game than ever. Awareness of everyone on the court, including a greasy sweat ball of a coach, is paramount.

Disagree. To me it would mean they are more in the game than ever. Awareness of everyone on the court, including a greasy sweat ball of a coach, is paramount.

And it would likely rank high on Sports Center, as well as being recalled/recounted by fans over the years

I did that once freshman year in HS except I just plowed over the coach like I didn't see him. Enter the court at your own risk. I have thought to myself several times that if I was playing against Buzz or someone of his ilk I would certain do something to draw attention to his being on the court. That includes plugging him with the ball.

I did that once freshman year in HS except I just plowed over the coach like I didn't see him. Enter the court at your own risk. I have thought to myself several times that if I was playing against Buzz or someone of his ilk I would certain do something to draw attention to his being on the court. That includes plugging him with the ball.

I remember Steelers' Coach Tomlin's cheating ways(I think it was last season), and sometimes wish the return man had ran him over instead of going further.

We could even pick a scenario early in the game so we know it's not going to make or break things. This is the same as quick snapping while the defense is changing to get a penalty. It would take one time to end that distracting nonsense forever.

If our guys whips the ball and hits buzz while on the court, wouldn't that be a technical on the vt bench? Why don't we ever go for this. It would be simple to just act like we're dribbling past him up court and the hit hi( 770 ) 497 - m like dodgeball.
Do it twice, he's out if the game.

Honestly, who cares about this? He or others aren't interfering with the game in any way and if they do they get T'ed up.

Honestly, who cares about this? He or others aren't interfering with the game in any way and if they do they get T'ed up.
Really? If I'm a player opposing him, I would prefer him 5 feet further away for him. Plus, if he sees an advantage to communicate by getting closer and we can take that away, why wouldn't we?

If this is true, still not a good idea. We would still have to shoot the technical foul shot...
But SU gets to take the ball out of bounds. So even a double miss (Cooney or Rak shooting?) wouldn't be so bad. Here's an idea. Since the T is on the opposing coach, why not let one of the SU coaches shoot the foul shots, say GMac?

If our guys whips the ball and hits buzz while on the court, wouldn't that be a technical on the vt bench? Why don't we ever go for this. It would be simple to just act like we're dribbling past him up court and the hit him like dodgeball.
So that is who Silent G was passing it to !

Some guys worry so much about stuff that just doesn't matter. He's been doing it for some time, and he's hardly the only one. Isn't it fairly obvious by now that the NCAA doesn't want that to be T'd up?

Jason Kidd bumped into Mike Woodson a few years ago when he was on the court to get a T. You could chuck it at Buzz but if he gets out the way you just turned the ball over.

Some guys worry so much about stuff that just doesn't matter. He's been doing it for some time, and he's hardly the only one. Isn't it fairly obvious by now that the NCAA doesn't want that to be T'd up?
Then why have the rule? It is like the deflated balls, everything is great until a butthurt team tattles on you and the official T's up our guy. Either enforce the rules or don't have them.

Then why have the rule? It is like the deflated balls, everything is great until a butthurt team tattles on you and the official T's up our guy. Either enforce the rules or don't have them.

Because basketball is about playing basketball. Everyone comes out to watch the players play. No one (no, not even me :D) comes out to watch fascists - oops, I mean referees - jam arbitrary rules up peoples' asses. Besides, I've already explained it to you: the NCAA doesn't want that T'd unless there's a problem that directly affects the game. And by the way, you realize if they start doing it to one coach, they're gonna have to do it to all of 'em.

Because basketball is about playing basketball. Everyone comes out to watch the players play. No one (no, not even me :D) comes out to watch fascists - oops, I mean referees - jam arbitrary rules up peoples' asses. Besides, I've already explained it to you: the NCAA doesn't want that T'd unless there's a problem that directly affects the game. And by the way, you realize if they start doing it to one coach, they're gonna have to do it to all of 'em.
You know how long that would take? One Saturday, send out a notice that you are going to call, call it on everyone (who didn't get the memo), and boom guarantee coaches would stop immediately.

The coaches box is there for a reason. If there's an advantage to be had, we should take it. On your original point about why people come to games, they don't come to see coaches 4 feet onto the court gesticulating. Maybe coaching doesn't have to happen through every second the ball is in play. Maybe you coach on the sidelines and then mostly let them play (like football, hockey, soccer).

The coaches box is there for a reason. If there's an advantage to be had, we should take it. On your original point about why people come to games, they don't come to see coaches 4 feet onto the court gesticulating. Maybe coaching doesn't have to happen through every second the ball is in play. Maybe you coach on the sidelines and then mostly let them play (like football, hockey, soccer).

The 'coaches box' is there because if the coach has to stay inside it if he's yelling at the refs. Otherwise he has a lot of latitude while talking to his own players, addressing the scorer's table, etc. Every ref and every coach knows this. And there are procedures for dealing with a coach who "crosses the line," and they don't begin with a technical foul.

No. If you do that you'll get T'd and tossed yourself immediately for being a F-ing lunatic, and deservedly so. And you'll probably be suspended for a number of games, by your own coach and AD. This is not TV wrestling. If you're a player, your role is to play. Period. Leave the rules to the referees, I guarantee you they know them much better than any of the fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom