Hop brought back for next year at UW…. | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Hop brought back for next year at UW….

1 NCAA tournament appearance in 6 years. You hammer Coach Boeheim for the last 2 years.
Hopkins has done a terrible job.
Washington is more out of national landscape than we are.
Hopkins plays primary zone defense and he hasn’t built a complete team in years.
He doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt you won’t give Coach Boeheim and I am ready for coach Boeheim to retire.
I want no part of Hopkins as the next head coach.
I want a winning coach; Sean Miller is my top choice.

Last edited:
Let's end the nonsense. Support the coach, players, university and teams. Support JAB as head coach until he leaves, his players as they play and move forward with their lives paths and the university which is the best force for good in the region. Get behind these ideals and feel blessed that you are a small part of our Orange tapestry.

Last edited:
I've always found it a little weird how the board sometimes seems like we owe more to boeheim assistants than boeheim.

Despite my long leash for boeheim, there is not much about how he runs his offense and defense that I want to continue.

Hop would be a great lead assistant next year for Jason Hart
Coaching in the G League doesn’t make you a head college coach. Case in point is Kenny Payne coming from the pros and crashing and burning at Louisville. The day to day routine is entirely different. He might be a great coach, but it would be a huge gamble that I’m not sure SU can take at this point in the program.

Coaching in the G League doesn’t make you a head college coach. Case in point is Kenny Payne coming from the pros and crashing and burning at Louisville. The day to day routine is entirely different. He might be a great coach, but it would be a huge gamble that I’m not sure SU can take at this point in the program.
Kenny Payne didn’t exactly walk into a great situation.

That’s my point. Do we want MORE scrutiny given our track record?

Well aren't we asking for MORE scrutiny by keeping JB around? So what is the difference.

Well aren't we asking for MORE scrutiny by keeping JB around? So what is the difference.

JB is on his way out. I don’t think the NCAA would be chomping at the bit to hammer an 80 year old coach with a mediocre team.

A new coach with a history of improper benefits provided to players when the NCAA intends to crack down on shady NIL deals is a different story, imo.

I want a winning coach; Sean Miller is my top choice.
Sean Miller is a decent coach with some baggage. By comparison sake, anybody see what Jerome (Wu) Tang is doing at KState? I assume he pounded the portal, has 4 guys from NYC and 2 from VA/DC right in our recruiting territory to go to Manhatten, Kansas. Impressive turnaround.

Sean Miller is a decent coach with some baggage. By comparison sake, anybody see what Jerome (Wu) Tang is doing at KState? I assume he pounded the portal, has 4 guys from NYC and 2 from VA/DC right in our recruiting territory to go to Manhatten, Kansas. Impressive turnaround.
He'd never get a good zone defense with a 5'7" PG.

He'd never get a good zone defense with a 5'7" PG.
Thats true but hes getting wins in the toughest league this year

Do we want wins or just play zone and try to win

Do we want talent or do we want specific height/length for the zone

Do we want to adapt or just keep doing the same even if its holding the program back

Questions...

Well, J Hart was a longtime assistant coach at USC under Andy Enfield, so he knows all about operating a college basketball program.

Jerome Tang also took a chance on Keyonte Johnson, the high rated Florida Recruit who collapsed on the floor of that game in 2020. The kid didn’t play for almost two seasons. But he has been thoroughly impressive this season at K State.

Well, J Hart was a longtime assistant coach at USC under Andy Enfield, so he knows all about operating a college basketball program.
When he quit playing he was head coach at Taft High School. They won a championship. Then he moved on to Pepperdine. Then to USC. Then to NBA Ignite.
He has 9 years of NBA playing experience to draw off of as well. Which comes with an automatic respect factor. Experience with every level of basketball.
He knows what lottery picks looks like he coaches them everyday. He knows how to get players into the NBA.
He gives us the nostalgia that will help ease the transition from the legend himself. Fans will immediately love him.

100% of east coast coaches and players have no idea who Jason Hart is. He has no recruiting ties to the east coast. We’ve seen how Hop’s recruiting has dropped since his east coast connections dried up. Hart has no connections in the east coast. Could he become a good coach? Maybe, but there’s no way in hell I would take a chance on a west coast assistant coach with zero east coast ties. At least Hop grew up on the west coast. Hop has a hell of lot more qualifications than Jason and Hop is not doing all that well. If JW doesn’t go and get an experienced head coach, you’re better off giving Autry or Gerry a shot.

When he quit playing he was head coach at Taft High School. They won a championship. Then he moved on to Pepperdine. Then to USC. Then to NBA Ignite.
He has 9 years of NBA playing experience to draw off of as well. Which comes with an automatic respect factor. Experience with every level of basketball.
He knows what lottery picks looks like he coaches them everyday. He knows how to get players into the NBA.
He gives us the nostalgia that will help ease the transition from the legend himself. Fans will immediately love him.
I didn’t realize Hart had been a high school head coach and won a championship before becoming an assistant. Thanks for sharing that.

All his recruiting connections and relationships are in SoCal. But you figure he’d retain Autry and Griff and they’d finally be empowered to go to town, and he’d hopefully bring in another high level recruiter or experienced bench coach. The only issue is, would he really want to come back and live in the Northeast?

Jerome Tang also took a chance on Keyonte Johnson, the high rated Florida Recruit who collapsed on the floor of that game in 2020. The kid didn’t play for almost two seasons. But he has been thoroughly impressive this season at K State.
Would love to look at Tang type. Step up from K St to SU is one that could be achieved within the P5 context. Aggressive recruiter who seems to get it. Able to pull east coast kids to the heart of fly over country. Impressive. Imagine what that level of focus could do with our history and resources...

Bingo. Sean Miller's transgressions are from a different era and completely irrelevant now. Dude can coach.
He's proven to be an excellent coach. Zona was flying under him (appreciate the way he got guys), and look at Xavier. They have no business being ranked this high this quickly. He is as good of a coach as we would have a shot at. He and Tang would be at the top of my list, based on SU being a step up in history / conference / recruiting potential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom