Hop brought back for next year at UW…. | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Hop brought back for next year at UW….

Was talking to a buddy of mine yesterday who will be involved with the 20th anniversary reunion against Wake and we were talking about who will be there for it. Hop’s name came up as a possibility due to his schedule, so I looked it up and Washington’s last regular season game just so happens to be on Thursday, March 2nd. I have a feeling he will be back “home” in the Dome on March 4th.

I’d be surprised if Hop is here for it. Flying across the country a day or two after your final regular season game, probably only a few days before your conf tournament starts, doesn’t seem logistically easy and optics would be bad. Not quite Urban Meyer bad but unprofessional.

Only Gus knows
I appreciate the Christ metaphor. “No one knows the day or the hour, not even the Son (Buddy) but only the Father.”

We have a talent problem, not a coaching problem. Let’s worry about talent first.

*disclaimer for those who need it* we all know recruiting is part of coaching.
You don't get talent without a good coach and a winning program in very good conference.

Last edited:
So dont shoot the messenger on this but I have heard some rumblings about Miller to Cuse. That if he doesn’t jump this offseason and sticks there another year, we’ll offer him.
SEAN MILLER

Edited for length – but after reading, this guy has it together and is a great coach. Back at Xavier this year with a 20 – 7 record. I just hope he is not involved in paying players to play for him and have to vacate wins again. Why would he want to leave Xavier?

GREAT! :)

In the 2010-11 season, Miller guided Arizona back to college basketball relevance. He led Arizona to its first top 10 ranking in the AP poll since January 8, 2007, and led the Wildcats to their first outright Pac-10 Regular Season Title (its 12th overall), 4th 30+ win season (1st overall), 2nd Elite Eight appearance (9th overall) and its highest coaches poll finish (9th) since the 2004–2005 season. Miller compiled a recruiting class that included 4 ESPNU top 100 recruits (#4 by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.), which was widely regarded as a top ten recruiting class. In addition, Miller led the Wildcats to their first unbeaten home record (17–0) in 14 years and was named Pac-10 Coach of the Year.

Miller has the most wins and best winning percentage in a 4-year span currently at 124 wins, while only losing 22 games for a .849 winning percentage. Miller is currently the winningest coach in the Pac-12, with a 76.9% winning percentage and an average of more than 27 wins a season at the end of his 8th season at Arizona.[16] Miller served as head coach for four of the seven seasons in Arizona history in which the team has won 30 or more games. His tenure at Arizona includes three undefeated home seasons and the second longest home winning streak (49 games) in McKale Center history.[17] Arizona is one of three Power 5 schools to win more than 25 games each season each of the last five seasons, joined by Duke and Kansas.

Miller has helped to improve the University of Arizona's facilities, overseeing an $80 million renovation to the McKale Center,[18] and the opening of the Cole and Jeannie Davis Strength and Conditioning Center at the Richard Jefferson Gymnasium—partly financed by a sizable donation from the Miller family.[19]

OH, OH! :rolleyes:

He was the subject of an investigation related to the 2017 NCAA basketball corruption scandal regarding offers to illegally pay athletes for attending his school, including 2017 recruit and future #1 2018 NBA draft pick Deandre Ayton.[20] On February 24, 2018, Miller would not be allowed to coach the upcoming game against Oregon, with coaching instead going to Lorenzo Romar that game.[21] On March 1, Miller denied any allegations against him and was reinstated as Arizona's head coach.[22]

Miller began his 10th season as the Arizona head coach during the 2018–2019 season. After a victory against UTEP, Miller recorded his 250th win for Arizona (370th win overall), in only 324 games, which is the 5th fastest of any coach at any Division 1 program all-time.[23] Arizona ended the season 17−15, missing the NCAA tournament for only the 3rd time in the previous 34 seasons.

Miller would enter his 11th season at Arizona with yet another top 5 recruiting class & preseason ranked #21 in the AP poll. After defeating Wake Forest to win the Wooden Legacy, Arizona began the season 9−0. With a win over USC on February 6, Miller would win his 400th game in only 542 games, which was 22nd fastest.[24]

After 12 seasons as head coach, Miller was fired by Arizona on April 7, 2021.[25] On December 14th, the IARP ruled in the 2017–18 NCAA Division I men's basketball corruption scandal Arizona & Miller were forced to vacate all regular-season, conference and NCAA Tournament wins in which Alkins competed in during 2016-17 and 2017-18, plus the two exhibition games in Spain in August 2017 that Pinder played in. It reduced Arizona’s record from 32-5 to 0-5 in 2016-17 and from 27-8 to 9-8 in 2017-18, when former guard Rawle Alkins played in 18 games. Miller would vacate 50 wins in his coaching record wherever he coaches collegiately.

Statistics overview
Season
Team
Overall
Conference
Standing
Postseason
2004–05Xavier17–1210–6T–2nd (West)
2005–06Xavier21–118–8T–7thNCAA Division I Round of 64
2006–07Xavier25–913–3T–1stNCAA Division I Round of 32
2007–08Xavier30–714–21stNCAA Division I Elite Eight
2008–09Xavier27–812–41stNCAA Division I Sweet 16
2009–10Arizona16–1510–84th
2010–11Arizona30–814–41stNCAA Division I Elite Eight
2011–12Arizona23–1212–64thNIT First Round
2012–13Arizona27–812–6T–2ndNCAA Division I Sweet 16
2013–14Arizona33–515–31stNCAA Division I Elite Eight
2014–15Arizona34–416–21stNCAA Division I Elite Eight
2015–16Arizona25–912–6T–3rdNCAA Division I Round of 64
2016–17Arizona0–5*0–2*T–1st*NCAA Division I Sweet 16*
2017–18Arizona9–8*3–4*1st*NCAA Division I Round of 64*
2018–19Arizona17–158–10T–8th
2019–20Arizona21–1110–8T–5th
2020–21Arizona17–911–95th
Arizona:
252*–109 (.698)123*–68 (.644)
2022–23Xavier20–712–4
Xavier:
140–54 (.722)69–27 (.719)
Total:
392–163 (.706)*

College basketball is now the perfect situation for Sean Miller. Paying players is legal as long as you get boosters to do it and the payments don't get touched by coaching staff or other school employee. He would be a great hire.

Sean Miller is one of my all time least favorite players in the BE. pass. rather have keith smart coach us than sean miller.

College basketball is now the perfect situation for Sean Miller. Paying players is legal as long as you get boosters to do it and the payments don't get touched by coaching staff or other school employee. He would be a great hire.

Doesn’t change the fact the scum bag let his assistant take the fall and go to jail. Not a fine, not a suspension. Jail. Him and Oats both go into the circular file.

Doesn’t change the fact the scum bag let his assistant take the fall and go to jail. Not a fine, not a suspension. Jail. Him and Oats both go into the circular file.
I doubt it is your decision but I tend to agree.

Change will be difficult for many, but inevitably necessary. Most schools have failed in their first coaching choice after a successful legend. I hope the AD has a short list in mind. I would prefer someone not in JBs tree at this juncture.

Last edited:
So if SU hired oats or Miller, would you still support the team? Would your support change?

Makes an interesting follow up to the season tickets conversation the other day.

So if SU hired oats or Miller, would you still support the team? Would your support change?

Makes an interesting follow up to the season tickets conversation the other day.

Read my reply in that thread.

You’re correct. I just did a quick check. JB has 11 more wins in the past seven years. Hop had a five win year. In JB’s good years he would be pushing 175 wins over seven years. They both have been pretty sucky the past seven years.
both have been mediocre or worse, except JB made surprise runs to S16s in 18 and 21, that counts for something

Only Gus knows
Bored Loop GIF

Was talking to a buddy of mine yesterday who will be involved with the 20th anniversary reunion against Wake and we were talking about who will be there for it. Hop’s name came up as a possibility due to his schedule, so I looked it up and Washington’s last regular season game just so happens to be on Thursday, March 2nd. I have a feeling he will be back “home” in the Dome on March 4th.
If it HAS to be an assistant - meaning there’s a gun pointed at my head - I will take Hop and it’s not even close.

Hop has had very mixed results but he’s at least a proven recruiter and a great ambassador. It’s more about my complete and utter lack of confidence in Red and Gnac.

If it HAS to be an assistant - meaning there’s a gun pointed at my head - I will take Hop and it’s not even close.

Hop has had very mixed results but he’s at least a proven recruiter and a great ambassador. It’s more about my complete and utter lack of confidence in Red and Gnac.
It’s hard to take this seriously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom