Hope this is JBs last year | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Hope this is JBs last year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if we hire the right new coach it won't.
Now that’s the trick!

But how do you know you can do that?

The Georgetown people put together this wonderful list of coaches they would like to have. Some refused to interview preferring to stay where they were or wanted to wait for a better opportunity. Some coaches that they liked did interview, but really as a way of getting more money from their current school. And some they interviewed but found they really didn’t like or who had demands they knew they couldn’t meet.

They eventually went to Patrick Ewing and pleaded, cajoled and guilt-tripped him into taking the job. He wasn’t on the original list.

Of course, if you listen to the Orange faithful on here, you’ll hear we can pick and choose. After all, we are in the ACC and currently draw big crowds.

Exactly. No one talks about our program anymore. We’re irrelevant.

But I’ve heard a number of national media, for weeks now, mention how this team — and the program in general — has fallen.

That chatter will increase as the losses mount. It’s still early.

Which is it?

“No one talks about our program anymore”

Or

“I’ve heard a number of the National media, for weeks now, talk about how the program has fallen”

Both can’t be correct.

Now that’s the trick!

But how do you know you can do that?

The Georgetown people put together this wonderful list of coaches they would like to have. Some refused to interview preferring to stay where they were or wanted to wait for a better opportunity. Some coaches that they liked did interview, but really as a way of getting more money from their current school. And some they interviewed but found they really didn’t like or who had demands they knew they couldn’t meet.

They eventually went to Patrick Ewing and pleaded, cajoled and guilt-tripped him into taking the job. He wasn’t on the original list.

Of course, if you listen to the Orange faithful on here, you’ll hear we can pick and choose. After all, we are in the ACC and currently draw big crowds.
Georgetown job is different that Syracuse job.
Georgetown could have hired Dan Hurley. He was leaving URI for a better job. Georgetown didn't sell him on the job he wasn't going to walk into a job with Thompson Jr. being in power in the shadows. Georgetown couldn't sell Hurley he wouldn't be so he passed. JB isn't going to be in the shadows. He won't do that. Or atleast I believe he won't.

Georgetown didn't pursue Shaka Smart. Again the problems at Georgetown are inner power struggle. Ewing took the job because he wasn't getting an NBA job and he wanted to become a HC. He deserved a chance.

Comparing Georgetown to Syracuse is just not smart. We have a football program, and a huge basketball fanbase. We probably could fill their home arena with our own road fans.

Syracuse can't pick and choose who we want as HC. We can get a good damn coach though. We aren't getting Brad Stevens to replace Jim Boeheim but if Billy Donovan gets popped by the OKC Thunder in the next year or two and he wants to become a college coach again Syracuse is the type of job he would consider. It's more likely Florida would pop its current coach and rehire him though if he wanted to comeback.

he wasn't going to walk into a job with Thompson being in any power in the shadows.
Yeah, this is a big component with jobs like UConn and Georgetown, and perhaps SU - no coach wants to come in and have the ol' "retired" coach still trying to make sure things are done their way.

Okay you really are creating strawmans.
I think JB is the problem with recruiting. I don't think a lot of good potential players want to play 100% zone. They want to play in the NBA. Playing zone is fine but the 100% does hurt with good players who might be interested and that is negatively recruited agains us.
So that hurts with a portion of potential recruits. Second, his age is being negatively recruited against him. That is a fact. Third, he doesn't cast a wide net anymore. Our recruiting has stagnated in Philadelphia. Autry is keeping us relevant in MD/DC. We used to recruit more than just the I-95 corridor.
Fourth, football is completely different. There isn't a lot of local talent with 300 miles to Syracuse and the talent that is we compete with bigger football brands.
Syracuse basketball has a lot more talent within a 300 miles radius than football does.

I mean its almost like you just accept the fact Jim Boeheim is the only person who can do the job well. SU basketball is popular in the Northeast. I really don't get it. Name one game Wake Forest fans/Boston College fans/Virginia Tech basketball fans have taken over road arenas? They don't.

Syracuse fans do and its not because of Jim Boeheim. It's because the fanbase is large and cares.

So much of what you say is BS, it’s hard to pick through it and find any gems of brilliance.

Do you really think that I or anyone else should accept at face value any statement like. “Players don’t want to play zone” or that our recruiting is “stagnating in Philadelphia”?

What’s affecting our recruiting is the rise of so many other good alternatives for players. Just consider the schools that can say to a Philly kid, “We are close to home, we have a successful program, we play in a good league and we will make the NCAA tournament”. Penn State is now a competitor for these kids now on top of Villanova, Maryland, Temple, etc, etc, etc, and now maybe even Rutgers.

If I want to play in the ACC and want to go 5 hrs from home, I can go to UVA, Duke, UNC, NCSU, or WF.

Yeah, this is a big component with jobs like UConn and Georgetown, and perhaps SU - no coach wants to come in and have the ol' "retired" coach still trying to make sure things are done their way.

He'll be at every home game if Buddy is playing and shown on ESPN 20 times during the game.

But any coach would want Buddy's lights out shooting.

Honestly, and hear me out here, we should just close it up.

If we can't compete at a high level without Jim Boeheim we should just get ahead of this thing and leave the ACC. Join the Patriot league maybe. See if we can play games in the Upstate medical University War Memorial and turn the Melo Center into a Center for Teen Boys Who Want to Play Dodgeball Good.

So much of what you say is BS, it’s hard to pick through it and find any gems of brilliance.

Do you really think that I or anyone else should accept at face value any statement like. “Players don’t want to play zone” or that our recruiting is “stagnating in Philadelphia”?

What’s affecting our recruiting is the rise of so many other good alternatives for players. Just consider the schools that can say to a Philly kid, “We are close to home, we have a successful program, we play in a good league and we will make the NCAA tournament”. Penn State is now a competitor for these kids now on top of Villanova, Maryland, Temple, etc, etc, etc, and now maybe even Rutgers.

If I want to play in the ACC and want to go 5 hrs from home, I can go to UVA, Duke, UNC, NCSU, or WF.
Maryland at the end of Gary Williams tenure is good comparison. He stopped recruiting and they suffered. That is what has happened to us.

Our recruiting has stagnated because we have a 75 year old coach that is stubborn and hasn't worked as hard on the trail.

His apprentice came in to upstate New York and has taken 3 players to Washington with him.

Not to mention there is a couple AAU programs we have basically been blackballed from because of the way JB has handled their Alumni.

Status
Not open for further replies.