Hopkins featured in NYT | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins featured in NYT

He’s great. Look forward to him back in Syracuse after Buddy graduates. One of the most genuine guys I met at the Hill when I was the Orange in mid 90s. We used to chat on the bench pregame. I’d be in the Orange and he would just chat me up. You weren’t supposed to talk in the costume but I never was good w rules.

He’s great. Look forward to him back in Syracuse after Buddy graduates. One of the most genuine guys I met at the Hill when I was the Orange in mid 90s. We used to chat on the bench pregame. I’d be in the Orange and he would just chat me up. You weren’t supposed to talk in the costume but I never was good w rules.
yeah... about that

My oldest Daughter went to college in Seattle. My company has done development work for Microsoft since the mid 90's. Syracuse is a nice city and i bleed orange but Seattle is one of the best cities in the world. There is simply no comparison.
The Market, SAM, B Royal to so many amazing venues and neighborhoods. Set on the Pacific Ocean Seattle is a Jewel of a City. Add in the fact that Hop is home with his family and is already a legend at the U and i cant think of one reason why he would ever leave. Hops ship sailed when JB decided he wanted to keep coaching.
Im happy for him as he was a huge part of our Success.

My oldest Daughter went to college in Seattle. My company has done development work for Microsoft since the mid 90's. Syracuse is a nice city and i bleed orange but Seattle is one of the best cities in the world. There is simply no comparison.
The Market, SAM, B Royal to so many amazing venues and neighborhoods. Set on the Pacific Ocean Seattle is a Jewel of a City. Add in the fact that Hop is home with his family and is already a legend at the U and i cant think of one reason why he would ever leave.
Its also a ticking time bomb located on one of the nastiest fault lines on earth, next to an active volcano, and right next door to a MEGA volcano... No thanks Ill take snow

Hop coming back is not 0%.
Agreed.

Right now, he is in the perfect place for him and I am really happy he is finally getting his chance.

But no one loves Syracuse and the SU basketball program more than Mike.

Someday, the best place for him might be back in Syracuse. I hope the stars align that way down the road.

In the meantime, I am rooting for him to kill it in the Pacific Northwest. Go Huskies!

But is less than 50%. That’s way worse odds than existed before Jim decided he wanted to coach Buddy. And, the odds will not increase anytime soon.
It is on the wrong side of +/- 25% imo though.

Neither of those statements are near the same as Hak’s that I replied to.

No issues...As it being the date of the release of the first Asia album, in the immortal words of the late John Wetton, “Only Time Will Tell”.

I mean my response wasn’t a retort or contrarian, it was just somewhat agreeing its possible but very unlikely.

The Market, SAM, B Royal to so many amazing venues and neighborhoods. Set on the Pacific Ocean Seattle is a Jewel of a City. Add in the fact that Hop is home with his family and is already a legend at the U and i cant think of one reason why he would ever leave. Hops ship sailed when JB decided he wanted to keep coaching.
Im happy for him as he was a huge part of our Success.

Hop is a legend at Miami?

And what does that have to do with Syracuse or Washington?!?! Boy am i confused.

Hop could easily come back. In his interview on ESPN he fondly mentioned Syracuse multiple times. Sure that's where most of his experience is from so it makes sense but it was also all positive. I'm sure he still has a strong attraction to SU.

Yeah Seattle is nicer than Syracuse. It's also nicer than Durham, and Lawrence Kansas, and probably Lexington and Louisville and a million other places. The attractiveness of a city is not always one of the top factors when coaches or players make decisions.

And I think I read he had cousins there and that is some kind of tie to the area. Well, maybe it's just me, but i have cousins in lots of places. Let's just say that "cousins living there" is not necessarily a guaranteed plus when considering where to live.

And remember, the PAC 12 is falling behind in the college arms race. The network is a major disappointment. The big programs have all fallen apart. It's not the ACC, and frankly it's nowhere near it and never will be.

Maybe he comes back maybe he doesn't. But nothing is ever off the table when it comes to coaching jobs.

Some folks STILL don’t get it. Hopkins ain’t ever coming back, and it’s so arrogant of SU fans to assume he will.

Sorry, it is arrogant to speculate that a 20 + year assistant may come back to one of the top 10ish jobs in the country? Sure, it's by no means a given, but there's no reason why it would not be a possibility...

People that speak about things that they really don't know about in certain terms are ridiculous.

It's called prognosticating. You should try it some time. Six months ago I posted an article on the board from The Athletic that was a LONG Hopkins profile. At the mods request, I took it down. (Copyright and all that). If you read that article, I'd have a hard time believing that you would place the odds that Mike Hopkins comes back to Syracuse at more than 5%.

It profiled him as incredibly happy to be in Seattle, he has family ties there. He's setting down roots. Now is there a chance? Sure. There's always a chance for anything, except taxes and death. But IMO is he ever coming back? NO.

It's called prognosticating. You should try it some time. Six months ago I posted an article on the board from The Athletic that was a LONG Hopkins profile. At the mods request, I took it down. (Copyright and all that). If you read that article, I'd have a hard time believing that you would place the odds that Mike Hopkins comes back to Syracuse at more than 5%.

It profiled him as incredibly happy to be in Seattle, he has family ties there. He's setting down roots. Now is there a chance? Sure. There's always a chance for anything, except taxes and death. But IMO is he ever coming back? NO.

There will always be a chance because there is almost nothing that he can experience at Washington that is going to be able to match 35k in the Dome leading the Orange he played for against Duke and UNC.

Everyone capable of reading can understand why being on the west coast at this particular time in his life is of great importance but that isn't going to go on forever. Will being there for the next 3 years be enough time for him to feel comfortable departing and for the pull of his alma mater to work its magic? I don't know and neither does anyone on this board. I just know that it's certainly not an impossibility.

There will always be a chance because there is almost nothing that he can experience at Washington that is going to be able to match 35k in the Dome leading the Orange he played for against Duke and UNC.

Everyone capable of reading can understand why being on the west coast at this particular time in his life is of great importance but that isn't going to go on forever. Will being there for the next 3 years be enough time for him to feel comfortable departing and for the pull of his alma mater to work its magic? I don't know and neither does anyone on this board. I just know that it's certainly not an impossibility.

That's a fair, measured response. I'm of the mindset that if family brought him back there, family will keep him there. Of course you're right. Just because I don't see it happening doesn't mean it won't.

That's a fair, measured response. I'm of the mindset that if family brought him back there, family will keep him there. Of course you're right. Just because I don't see it happening doesn't mean it won't.

I'm not certain of his fathers age, but know from experience that dementia diagnoses for folks in or approaching their 80s is not a long-term thing. Obviously a morbid look at things but that's certainly a big piece of the puzzle.

I'm not certain of his fathers age, but know from experience that dementia diagnoses for folks in or approaching their 80s is not a long-term thing. Obviously a morbid look at things but that's certainly a big piece of the puzzle.

Well he's got two boys who are of high school age. Will he want to uproot them? There are all pieces of the puzzle to work out. I'm in the camp where I'd absolutely LOVE for Hopkins to be the next coach after JB finally retires. I just think it's wishful thinking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom