Hopkins featured in NYT | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins featured in NYT

It's called prognosticating. You should try it some time. Six months ago I posted an article on the board from The Athletic that was a LONG Hopkins profile. At the mods request, I took it down. (Copyright and all that). If you read that article, I'd have a hard time believing that you would place the odds that Mike Hopkins comes back to Syracuse at more than 5%.

It profiled him as incredibly happy to be in Seattle, he has family ties there. He's setting down roots. Now is there a chance? Sure. There's always a chance for anything, except taxes and death. But IMO is he ever coming back? NO.

I read the article. Yes he was happy. But how could he not be happy? He’s running his own program for the first time, is riding a wave of early success and is on top of the world. But like all coaches and programs he’ll hit adversity. Yes, Seattle is a great city, but Syracuse is a better basketball program. If Hop wants to win a national title, Syracuse is better positioned to do that.

That's a fair, measured response. I'm of the mindset that if family brought him back there, family will keep him there. Of course you're right. Just because I don't see it happening doesn't mean it won't.

His parents are in Southern California. That’s very far from Seattle but easier to get to from there. Also, his wife’s family is from New York. So keep that in mind.

Well he's got two boys who are of high school age. Will he want to uproot them? There are all pieces of the puzzle to work out. I'm in the camp where I'd absolutely LOVE for Hopkins to be the next coach after JB finally retires. I just think it's wishful thinking.
He just uprooted them two years ago.

Look...he may come back and he may not. And I want him to. But he got put into a terrible place by this current AD and is now making the best of it. Mike is a class act and will never say anything negative about SU or JB (who he considers a dad).

If he does come back, it will be completely on his terms and not Wildhack’s.
How did Wildhack put him in a terrible place?

That is a question on everybody’s mind since that strange post.

Any job where you're making difficult big-impact decisions, you're going to get detractors. Unavoidable. And sometimes those detractors can be right (although I have no idea in this situation).

No issues...As it being the date of the release of the first Asia album, in the immortal words of the late John Wetton, “Only Time Will Tell”.
That brings back memories. I remember driving to Utica to see Asia live at the Stanley Theater my sophomore year at SU, which was way back in 1982 when the album with that song came out.

No way to make a fair comparison between Seattle and Syracuse, so I will leave that out of the equation. Just look at the money. Hop already makes almost the same amount as JB. The path to the top of the PAC12 is much easier than the path to the top of the ACC. If Hopkins can make U-Dub a consistent winner he will be beloved by the fanbase and extremely well compensated.

1553108339456.png

Its also a ticking time bomb located on one of the nastiest fault lines on earth, next to an active volcano, and right next door to a MEGA volcano... No thanks Ill take snow
Huge, huge homeless problem. Feckless city council won't address, won't allow the police to take action.

Maybe Hop likes being able to actually win the Pac 12 unlike in the ACC where we can only really compete for 3rd or 4th place every year (in a good year).

One of the funniest most high energy guys I've had the pleasure of speaking with.

Push ups in a job interview, love it.

Someone mentioned that Hop would want to leave because the P12 is not the bball conference that the ACC is, i feel like Hop knew that when he took the job.

The P12 will never be the ACC, but I could see Hop being the ‘Lute’ at UW.

Its easy to like Hop. Good man, will always bleed Cuse and is creating his brand right now. Someday maybe there is a path that gets him back here but there is a part of me that would rather see us go outside the “family “ post Coach B. Tough following a legend. Glad Hop got a great article in the NYT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom