Hopkins Gameday... | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins Gameday...

Besides kohn and mullen winning faceoffs what also sets them up is they are comfortable with ball in their stick they’re both very athletic which some of our better fogos in past lack. Kohn n mullen both have good speed and both can handle pressure n ball in their stick. Also helps in 50/50 battle as kohn was using his legs to kick ball out and everything. Where phaup who was good was slow n soon as he won he looked to get rid of it right away as couldn’t handle pressure. So fact both fogos can handle pressure helps wonders. Both more the. capable going down and scoring or getting an assist also which haven’t had fogo be able to do that in long time also. Def one of the better 1-2 punches in country. Hopefully both can stay healthy and in games where we are total control of like to see both of them get rest and use other guys as we really need to keep those guys healthy n fresh not beaten down if wish to make playoff or playoff push.

BIG victory.

Possession stats favor Cuse 55 to Hopkins 39; the game shouldn't have been a one goal game. 17 turnovers against a high-level team are excessive.

Cuse's near-perfect clears were crucial, with only one failure. The 2-minute penalty kill was outstanding, the drop back ride, and FO play were difference makers.

Figueiras locking down Angelus was great to see; it appears he's moving better and gaining confidence. Notably, it was the first game this season that Angelos failed to score a goal.

Kol should know better than to stay 3 to 4 yards away from his assignment. Caccamo took over in the 2nd quarter. Really not sure why he isn’t starting.

Mark played great. The full field clear was a dime.

Were the big hits on Kilrain and Aviles alittle pay back? Aviles might think twice before talking on social media about how he was going to hit Olexo during the game. Hope someone captured that hit.

This team has the pieces to make a run.

BIG victory.

Possession stats favor Cuse 55 to Hopkins 39; the game shouldn't have been a one goal game. 17 turnovers against a high-level team are excessive.

Cuse's near-perfect clears were crucial, with only one failure. The 2-minute penalty kill was outstanding, the drop back ride, and FO play were difference makers.

Figueiras locking down Angelus was great to see; it appears he's moving better and gaining confidence. Notably, it was the first game this season that Angelos failed to score a goal.

Kol should know better than to stay 3 to 4 yards away from his assignment. Caccamo took over in the 2nd quarter. Really not sure why he isn’t starting.

Were the big hits on Kilrain and Aviles alittle pay back? Aviles might think twice before talking on social media about how he was going to hit Olexo during the game. Hope someone captured that hit.

Agree with all of your points! Great win for the program, against a really good team. Also, Welcome back Owen Hiltz!!! Haven’t seen him play like that in a few years, so what a pleasant surprise. He adds so much to our attack when he plays to his full potential. All of attackmen played great. Nice coaching moves, too, like using more picks to free up Spallina and inverting Thomson against a shortie early on (he has great vision for a middie)

The Delaware game should be interesting. At least statistically, they have a better face-off man and goalie then us, so I’ll feel even more confident when we beat a top 20 team where we don‘t dominate the face-offs.

I’d like to see our Man Up and Man Down teams perform a little better, too

BIG victory.

Big factor in it ending a one goal contest was our decision to slow the ball down with a ton of time still left in the game. 14-11 with about 9 minutes left and we made a point to run the shot clock down around at least 25 seconds before trying anything serious for the rest of the game. There were times we passed up some serious looks at the cage to keep running the clock down. One possession Hiltz had a pretty wide open shot with 30 something seconds on the clock and he chose to pass it up. Ironically that technique burned Hopkins in their first game with Denver. Given how strong we were doing at the faceoff X I am surprised they did not make more of a point to score on the empty goal late. We had a couple opportunities to put it in and then Hopkins would have to both score twice and win two consecutive face offs with under a minute left. An extremely tall order given their play at the x.

To their credit they often got a solid look at cage late in the shot clock and there were a few pipe shots or good saves from Ierlan. I just wish we started the slow down ball a little later and forced the issue a little more. That time Spallina turned it over late in the game was because there were 10 seconds on the shot clock and someone had to do something. That does not happen if we get more aggressive earlier in the clock.

Agreed that we started the stall way too early.

We must have had 8-9 pipes in that game. Crazy.

Defense still looks confused to me at times. Communication needs to get better. Start Carc and sit Kol.

Did not like the zone calls against a team like Hop with very strong outside shooters.

If we're going to make a run, we are going to need Mark to play better. I thought a few of the goals were weak sauce.

Some random thoughts on Saturday night's huge win.

-Great production from the attack, combining for 13 points. The team did a much better job of working to get Spallina involved. He didn't really ever beat his man 1:1 that I can remember, but he worked off ball, he worked through picks, he played his game and still produced. He had four turnovers but that's just something he's going to have to work on. Hiltz was dialed in and was much more aggressive. He's such a great shooter, he has to be the guy taking the most, or second most shots for this team. Hopefully this game gives him some extra confidence.

-Jake Stevens with one of the more ... interesting stat lines I can remember - three goals on 10 shots (team high), three groundballs and four turnovers. Obviously he needs to tighten things up (his shooting in the first half had me pulling out my hair), but you saw what a difference maker he was on the wings, and he's very good at getting his own shot. I didn't see him playing much defense this game, perhaps the coaches are trying to keep him healthy.

-Defense was great in the first half with Will Mark locked in, timely slides and good 1:1 slides. The second half not so much, as Mark had just three second half saves after posting eight in the first. Hopkins has very good shooters, but it's still frustrating to see that sort of inconsistency. Obviously not all of this was his fault, but if this team wants to make a deep run, he's going to have to finish above 50% against top teams (he has yet to do so against Hopkins/Army/Maryland).

-I am a bit mystified as to why they are still rotating back and forth between Caccamo and Kol at close defense. It seems like they trade off spots after one of them makes a mistake. I'm higher on Caccamo than Kol but each make me a bit nervous. I agree with Quint that at some point I think they just need to put Olexo back down at close. The team has a solid LSM in Matt Wright, and they have Dylan Sageder who plays man down available (and has starting experience from last year). Drago also seems like a player who could see time and be a contributor.

-I've said a lot about the face-off group, but Kohn was so so good on Saturday. He is so athletic and good with the ball in his stick that once he's won the clamp, you have such high confidence that he will maintain possession. I can't remember a recent SU fogo who was so good at escaping from pressure.

-SU did struggle mightily against Garrett Degnon as he had five goals, a lot of which seemed to come from wide open spots. Some was on the defender (both Kol and Dwan were ball watching on two of the goals), some he made a nice dodge to get open. He ended up taking 14 shots, so the efficeincy wasn't great, but he was the one player SU really had a problem with. Should be interesting to see how they make adjustments with Syracuse facing another very good lefty shooter in Mike Robinson this weekend.
-Last thought, it's hindsight but I don't mind the strategy of trying to burn as much clock as possible in the last eight minutes. It was risky, but I think it's better than risking an Irelan save and quick goal from Hopkins. The defense was really struggling (only three second half clears which I thought was a typo at first), and while they had the face-off advantage, Irelan was really locked in. Ultimately, they got a bit lucky with that last shot resetting the clock and then maintaining possession, but I never felt like they were doing anything reckless in the moment.

I have no idea if the fanlax cuse people also post here (aside from the ones with the same name like Jeremy and Powellfan) but whoever the regulars are that constantly post on the Hopkins fan page...you are doing the lords work. My goodness the headache those hop guys must be getting. Lol

I have no idea if the fanlax cuse people also post here (aside from the ones with the same name like Jeremy and Powellfan) but whoever the regulars are that constantly post on the Hopkins fan page...you are doing the lords work. My goodness the headache those hop guys must be getting. Lol
I'm OldOrange on fanlax, I don't post much over there. Some of the Hopkins posters seem to be spiraling, most of them are ok. The Rutgers thread is a different animal.

The Hop thread is usually good for a laugh. They have an eclectic mix to say the least. Some are very reasonable or guys you can at least have a conversation with at time ie Doc, 51percent, Hopfan16 (to an extent), and a few others. Then you have some that are off the deep end and think its 2006. The best part of the Hop thread is when Hopfan16 scolds or gets into an argument with jhu06, those two can't stand each other and its pretty dame funny.

I'm OldOrange on fanlax, I don't post much over there. Some of the Hopkins posters seem to be spiraling, most of them are ok. The Rutgers thread is a different animal.

Ah well good to know that's you from now on! I post under Pensky Material over there, although not much since I found this forum years ago,
Jeremy and Powellfan do a good job over there, and DMAC and Tech have been pretty consistent posters as long as I can remember now. As Jeremy says the Hop thread hits all the extremes over there and on the Rutgers page 1766 is def the smartest guy at Fannlax just ask him.

Ah well good to know that's you from now on! I post under Pensky Material over there, although not much since I found this forum years ago,
Jeremy and Powellfan do a good job over there, and DMAC and Tech have been pretty consistent posters as long as I can remember now. As Jeremy says the Hop thread hits all the extremes over there and on the Rutgers page 1766 is def the smartest guy at Fannlax just ask him.
I had a different user name on the old laxpower as well and still didn't post much. There are some really good posters and then there are the others. Can be good reading. good to know that you are Pensky Material.

If they went over there just saying random jabs and insults it would be different and not cool, but they go over and just seem to genuinely want to make a couple points about the game. Yes they are mainly talking about good stuff cuse did but it does not feel disrespectful. But man with some of the responses you would think they said Paul Rabil was overrated or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom