Hopkins to Big Ten | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins to Big Ten

Saw that coming. Guess Swofford doesn't really care and has confidence in Louisville to develop a competitor. Either that, or some member schools protested. Or, Maryland begged Hopkins to join. Or, Hopkins was scared to play in the best Lax league in the country.

No big loss, but the ACC needs Louisville to be the 6th member or we will lose the automatic bid in 3 years, and will be able to play ACC teams first round in the NCAA tournament if the committee wanted to. Would the ACC consider Hobart or one of the other ECAC schools losing their conference affiliation for partial membership?

ACC needs L'ville or one of the other schools to step up and add the sport at the D1 level. Not having to play a conference-mate in the first round is huge. NCSt would be the most logical option. Don't know about their finances, though.

Who will Hopkins drop from their schedule to accommodate the B1G schedule? Could get interesting.

Looks like Florida and Vandy's Women's teams will be scrambling for a new home, since the American Lacrosse Conference is being decimated.

Big East's Women's LAX will be down to Georgetown, Cinci and UConn in a few years.

Who will Hopkins drop from their schedule to accommodate the B1G schedule? Could get interesting.

Assuming they keep Syracuse, UVa, UNC and their in-state rivalries.

They would have to drop Siena, MSM, Army and Albany.

Ville has a Lax team???
No, but all the assumptions have been that the ACC will 'urge' them to go D-1 in Lax. Right now, their men's team is club level. The thinking is that the ACC $$$ will allow them to upgrade their Lax to D-1, while being able to add another women's team to remain in compliance with Title IX requirements.

No, but all the assumptions have been that the ACC will 'urge' them to go D-1 in Lax. Right now, their men's team is club level. The thinking is that the ACC $$$ will allow them to upgrade their Lax to D-1, while being able to add another women's team to remain in compliance with Title IX requirements.

Ahhh, I see, thanks. Hopefully they get to D1 level.

I would have no problem if SU and all of the ACC schools for the matter ended their series with Hopkins. After all the crap the B1G has tried to inflict towards the ACC and our future I say too hell with Jim Delany and trying to schedule any B1G schools if it avoidable. I realize Hopkins is a LAX rivalry, but we could play Colgate, UMass or somebody else with our difficult ACC schedule I don't care if we play Hopkins or not.

I would have no problem if SU and all of the ACC schools for the matter ended their series with Hopkins. After all the crap the B1G has tried to inflict towards the ACC and our future I say till hell with Jim Delany and trying to schedule any B1G schools if it avoidable. I realize Hopkins is a LAX rivalry, but we could play Colgate, UMass or somebody else with our difficult ACC schedule I don't care if we play Hopkins or not.

Does that mean we can't play Michigan in MetLife Stadium? :p

I would have no problem if SU and all of the ACC schools for the matter ended their series with Hopkins. After all the crap the B1G has tried to inflict towards the ACC and our future I say till hell with Jim Delany and trying to schedule any B1G schools if it avoidable. I realize Hopkins is a LAX rivalry, but we could play Colgate, UMass or somebody else with our difficult ACC schedule I don't care if we play Hopkins or not.
I, for one, would miss the Hop rivalry game. It's one I looked forward to each year, starting after the '83 championship, and the 2 subsequent championship game losses. Aside from UVa, I consider this our most important rivalry.

Does that mean we can't play Michigan in MetLife Stadium? :p
nothisagain.jpg

I am not going to touch that.

I, for one, would miss the Hop rivalry game. It's one I looked forward to each year, starting after the '83 championship, and the 2 subsequent championship game losses. Aside from UVa, I consider this our most important rivalry.

We have a reputation for playing anybody, anytime, anywhere.

I don't see our relationship with Hopkins ending in the near future.

I realize Hopkins is probably our biggest rival in LAX, but the B1G conference has to tried to destabilize the ACC and as a result I don't like the B1G and if we don't have to play any B1G teams in any sports anymore I wouldn't shed a tear. We could be where UConn and the AAC schools are or in a watered down ACC if the B1G conference had destroyed the ACC like they wanted to do.

Not at all concerned about any Hopkins scheduling issues.

I'm much more interested how the SU schedule will shake out. 5 ACC games. Cornell, Hopkins, Princeton, Hobart and, apparently (at least for near term), Canisius. That's 10. Four more slots open. I'd guess Albany and Army. Ex-BE opponents Villanova, St. John's and GTown? Colgate? Could we get back with Loyola? With the increased strength of schedule that the ACC brings, maybe they look for a softer opponent like Binghamton.

I would have no problem if SU and all of the ACC schools for the matter ended their series with Hopkins. After all the crap the B1G has tried to inflict towards the ACC and our future I say too hell with Jim Delany and trying to schedule any B1G schools if it avoidable. I realize Hopkins is a LAX rivalry, but we could play Colgate, UMass or somebody else with our difficult ACC schedule I don't care if we play Hopkins or not.

I'm with you Alsacs particularly if Hopkins is Big Ten. I say drop them and pick up Princeton.

I'd be for dropping the ACC - Big Ten basketball challenge too and restoring one with the Big East.

Hopkins has never been the rivalry game for me. they've always been 4th in pecking order behind UVA, Cornell, And Princeton. I wouldn't miss them at all from the schedule. Heck I get up for the Army game as much as I do Hopkins.

This is not the best result for the ACC in particular. No JHU is not an athletic powerhouse, but it certainly is an academic one. Its lacrosse team is very good...but more importantly, it gives the B1G a terrific team for #6 in lacrosse as an auto bid; it provides more of a foothold in the middle of the ACC--and that is the worst outcome for the ACC...this continues to demonstrate that the so called B1G blocking strategy may not be such a myth...
It's Good To Be 'Cuse!

If the ACC wants to get to 6 they can invite anybody they want. Georgetown, Loyola, Navy, Army whoever.

Hopkins is becoming irrelevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom