Hopper | Syracusefan.com

Hopper

Wow. SU and JB allowing him to go talk to a team in the same conference seems unbelievable.

This could turn out to be the worst offseason ever for SU basketball if we lose Tyler, Jerami, CJ, BMK and Coach Hopkins

I'd have to believe this means JB isn't hanging em up anytime soon. Meaning, next 3-4 years at least.

If Hopkins goes elsewhere and JB retires in the next 2-3 years, I wouldn't really understand the behind the scenes thinking.

I'd have to believe this means JB isn't hanging em up anytime soon. Meaning, next 3-4 years at least.

If Hopkins goes elsewhere and JB retires in the next 2-3 years, I wouldn't really understand the behind the scenes thinking.

JB casts a long shadow and will do so for a long time on the Hill. I think letting someone else come in and screw things up for a bit and then coming back in and rescuing the situation would be a nice deal. I have no idea if this is what Mike is thinking, but I could understand it.

JB casts a long shadow and will do so for a long time on the Hill. I think letting someone else come in and screw things up for a bit and then coming back in and rescuing the situation would be a nice deal. I have no idea if this is what Mike is thinking, but I could understand it.
I would hope we would be able to bring in a big time coach though. I don't see us hiring someone after Boeheim who envisions only being here a few years.

I would hope we would be able to bring in a big time coach though. I don't see us hiring someone after Boeheim who envisions only being here a few years.

I'm sure Matt Doherty didn't envision himself a short term replacement for the UNC coaching job either.

I'm sure Matt Doherty didn't envision himself a short term replacement for the UNC coaching job either.
Probably not but I would just find it strange if our coach in waiting took another job and JB hangs it up in 2 years. I'm just implying, to me, this signals JB isn't leaving anytime in the direct future. If he does, well then I hope Hopkins doesn't come back anytime soon because that would of course mean JBs successor failed.

This could turn out to be the worst offseason ever for SU basketball if we lose Tyler, Jerami, CJ, BMK and Coach Hopkins
Losing Hop dwarfs losing any player. He is the engine that brings in the high level recruits. SU recruiting took off when Hop became the primary recruiter and it will take a major hit that will be felt immediately if he leaves.

I can't believe that BC is that Perfect Storm that Mike talked about. A program that hasn't been competitive in quite a long time, playing in a professional sports city and in conference that has little regional relationship to its location. Competing against SU twice per year. It actually seems more like a $h1t storm than a perfect storm.

I also can't believe BC would consider hiring someone that would be positioned to jump ship to a conference competitor in the next couple of years. Doesn't seem like a recipe for long term program recovery.

I could understand Hop going to USC if that opportunity had come to fruition. I could understand him taking a job at a school that has a reasonable chance to be competitive. I can't understand him showing interest in BC, Va Tech or Rutgers type jobs, unless he is truly unhappy being here waiting his turn.

Last edited:
Losing Hop dwarfs losing any player. He is the engine that brings in the high level recruits. SU recruiting took off when Hop became the primary recruiter and it will take a major hit that will be felt immediately if he leaves.

Yes, and this yearly will he or won't he, doesn't help either. If he's gonna go, let's hope it works out for both parties.

This may sound outrageous but I would prefer jb retired early rather than lose hop based on what players/recruits have said about the two. When you watch duke games k is constantly asking his assistants for feedback on coaching adjustments, jb never says a word to hop during games, I'd want to get out too. For as much as jb has accomplished IMO his thin skin is holding him back from becoming one of the all time greats like k or Calhoun.

This would be the final nail in a long and emotionally draining season in my opinion. Also, since Hopkins is our lead recruiter, I would have to believe that some of our big targets for 2015 would also be very tough to reel in.

Troy Weaver didn't hurt. But trading Orr and Fine for a Weaver and Hop was JB's best coaching move in the last 20 years.

This is turning into a nightmare week, I know Hop is not gone yet...but if he leaves, and I would not fault him for leaving to be a head coach in the ACC, but if Grant leaves along with Ennis, that's one hell of a nightmare for this program and city...then to make matters worse UConn and UK keep winning...sheesh​

His twitter account was bleeding a lot of orange yesterday.

Mike, Tyler, and potentially Grant, are all doing what they think is best for their careers.

Definitely would be disappointing as I think Hop will be a fantastic coach.

This would be the final nail in a long and emotionally draining season in my opinion. Also, since Hopkins is our lead recruiter, I would have to believe that some of our big targets for 2015 would also be very tough to reel in.

How many Boston area guys has Hop pulled to SU in the last few years alone? This could be a really big loss.

check the Hopper thread for continuing discussion on this very topic