Hopper | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hopper

pfister1 said:
I can't believe that BC is that Perfect Storm that Mike talked about. A program that hasn't been competitive in quite a long time, playing in a professional sports city and in conference that has little regional relationship to its location. Competing against SU twice per year. It actually seems more like a $h1t storm than a perfect storm. I also can't believe BC would consider hiring someone that would be positioned to jump ship to a conference competitor in the next couple of years. Doesn't seem like a recipe for long term program recovery.

He may need to sign a clause that would prevent him from going back to SU. BC isn't dumb.

I realize this is a one in a hundred chance scenario - but would JB hang it up - or hang it up in a year - or date certain - if Hop actually got an offer and was going to take Autry with him? Losing his two top assistants vs. the future of the program (he says Hop is the top assistant in the country).

Toga said:
I realize this is a one in a hundred chance scenario - but would JB hang it up - or hang it up in a year if Hop actually got an offer and was going to take Autry with him? Losing his two top assistants vs. the future of the program (he says Hop is the top assistant in the country).

Doubt it. But JB's job will get a lot harder. Could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

JB will retire when he wants to retire. Hop's decision/opportunities won't make any difference in that decision

Hopkins isn't going to uproot his family, move to Boston and then return to SU. He's gone for good if he goes.

Aside from Pitino has JB ever coached against and lost to one of his former assistants?

This would be the final nail in a long and emotionally draining season in my opinion. Also, since Hopkins is our lead recruiter, I would have to believe that some of our big targets for 2015 would also be very tough to reel in.

not exactly. there would be another nail for good measure soon after

Aside from Pitino has JB ever coached against and lost to one of his former assistants?
I Louis Orr when he was at Seton Hall, and maybe Ralph Willard at Pitt (not 100% on that one)

Autry would leave SU to be second fiddle at BC? Why on earth would Red ever do that? C'mon think before you post.:confused:
Because he was going to USC if Hop got that job.

Don't truly understand that either, but perhaps they are sick of JB. Cuse better b ball school in both cases

If BC offers then Boeheim needs to do the right thing and retire. Or at the very least inform the staff and certain members of the AD that 2014-15 will be his last season.

Oh and if Hop takes the BC job he is dead to me and I hope he never wins a game as a head coach. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Are you really sure of that -thought Enfield poached Mike's choices for assistants - Hart and Bland. Mike was also close to Allen Griffin now at Dayton who has about 5 more years of college coaching experience than Red.

Hope it all works out for Mike, SU and that Mike is happy and stays.

If BC offers then Boeheim needs to do the right thing and retire. Or at the very least inform the staff and certain members of the AD that 2014-15 will be his last season.

Oh and if Hop takes the BC job he is dead to me and I hope he never wins a game as a head coach. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

That would be an absolutely terrible move.

Boeheim should stay until he is ready to hang it up on his terms. You don't force a known extraordinary commodity out for a more speculative proposition. You also wouldn't want Hop to get the job in that fashion. 1/2 the fanbase could turn on him in that case, and 90% would with the first bad season. Kind of like Jerry Jones forcing Landry out in Dallas when he bought the Cowboys only replacing him with Jason Garrett instead of Jimmy Johnson.

There comes a time when you're ready to run your own program, and you have to take advantage of the opportunity when it's offered, even if it's not your first choice. Hop's been at SU what 18 years now? He doesn't owe anyone here anything. I wish him only the best.

So what would be wrong with Hop interviewing for the job even if he thought he wouldn't take it? Plenty of us have done something similar just to get a feel for what is out there in our line of work. Who knows, it could be nothing more than that.

If a major conference team wants to interview you for a head coaching position, you do it. Even if he's not going to take it, it puts a little more pressure on Cuse to reward his loyalty (give him a little pay bump).

In all honesty, who runs practice once Hop leaves? Although Iverson would disagree I would say practice and how it is structured is kind of a big deal.

In all honesty, who runs practice once Hop leaves? Although Iverson would disagree I would say practice and how it is structured is kind of a big deal.
Whoop de damn doo :D

you might have an argument if we didn't have the same 7 guys running the same 7 plays every game. SU practice? pleez.

If Hopkins takes Autry, boom, there goes recruiting. That's two of the Top 50 recruiters in the nation.