Horrible story | Syracusefan.com

Horrible story

AZOrange

Living Legend
Wasn’t sure if this was posted elsewhere but give the SU connection thought it might be of interest.

Mainwaring

Damn, that's a long story...

I don't understand. I just don't. How anyone can be so compliant. Just never could wrap my head around that. The rationalizations from him to those 'kids,' that an old dude wanking you is an ancient greek training technique... The thing is, if the guy got away with that so many times, just how many times was the offer/explanation/overture rejected, and then why weren't there any consequences from that? Literally everyone compartmentalized the experience and didn't share it with anyone? I'm trying to imagine a situation in my youth where this could have happened and i wouldn't have had the temerity to resist it/fight back/report. I just can't.

Damn, that's a long story...

I don't understand. I just don't. How anyone can be so compliant. Just never could wrap my head around that. The rationalizations from him to those 'kids,' that an old dude wanking you is an ancient greek training technique... The thing is, if the guy got away with that so many times, just how many times was the offer/explanation/overture rejected, and then why weren't there any consequences from that? Literally everyone compartmentalized the experience and didn't share it with anyone? I'm trying to imagine a situation in my youth where this could have happened and i wouldn't have had the temerity to resist it/fight back/report. I just can't.
I hear ya. I guess it's a matter of attributing infallibility to authority figures who are skilled at manipulation. Victims who have it in their character not to displease anyone whatever the peril or dissonance in the experience. I'd like to think if I was a college freshman or even in high school and he tried to pull this on me (pun intended), I'd say (and not to sound too flip), "What the f**ks the matter with you old man? You think you're gonna j*rk me off. Think again you stunted freak. Hey everybody...this guy wants to wank me so I can run faster and he won't even buy me dinner."

I just don't see how it gets that far in the absence of violent threats - how it can become serialized. In my understanding of the universe (which may be limited), the compliance/enabling in this dyad is unfathomable. For someone who is relatively self-aware to be co-opted like this is sad and confounding. But it is what it is and it does happen with obscene regularity. Not victim blaming, just completely bewildered that (in the absence of violence) people of relative sanity will allow this to happen. "No, get the hell away from me Mr. Pedophile." Of course many times the advances of degenerates are quashed by assertive people who can issue a definitive NO to abusers. It's the people who acquiesce to such nonesense I wish could assert themselves and say, "Screw you *ssh*le." Then again what do I know writing this from the comfort of my home and far from a manipulative bast*rd.

I hear ya. I guess it's a matter of attributing infallibility to authority figures who are skilled at manipulation. Victims who have it in their character not to displease anyone whatever the peril or dissonance in the experience. I'd like to think if I was a college freshman or even in high school and he tried to pull this on me (pun intended), I'd say (and not to sound too flip), "What the f**ks the matter with you old man? You think you're gonna j*rk me off. Think again you stunted freak. Hey everybody...this guy wants to wank me so I can run faster and he won't even buy me dinner."

I just don't see how it gets that far in the absence of violent threats - how it can become serialized. In my understanding of the universe (which may be limited), the compliance/enabling in this dyad is unfathomable. For someone who is relatively self-aware to be co-opted like this is sad and confounding. But it is what it is and it does happen with obscene regularity. Not victim blaming, just completely bewildered that (in the absence of violence) people of relative sanity will allow this to happen. "No, get the hell away from me Mr. Pedophile." Of course many times the advances of degenerates are quashed by assertive people who can issue a definitive NO to abusers. It's the people who acquiesce to such nonesense I wish could assert themselves and say, "Screw you *ssh*le." Then again what do I know writing this from the comfort of my home and far from a manipulative bast*rd.
They are skilled at identifying people whose psyche is such that they will comply and not fight back. Then the grooming starts.
They are highly intelligent in ways of control and manipulation. Someone like you would not be approached in the first place.

They are skilled at identifying people whose psyche is such that they will comply and not fight back. Then the grooming starts.
They are highly intelligent in ways of control and manipulation. Someone like you would not be approached in the first place.
Noted. They identify first and proceed from there, minimizing risk.

This is terrifying, and incredible.

Amazing how much power these sorts of predators hold over their many victims.

PS - PED ST can burn in hell for allowing similar/worse abuses for decades.

I posted the story on the OT Board earlier today. What I heard from someone about a week ago is that SU may have punted on this guy and sent him on his way to abuse others and that lawyers are attempting to contact victims who were here at the time.

I posted the story on the OT Board earlier today. What I heard from someone about a week ago is that SU may have punted on this guy and sent him on his way to abuse others and that lawyers are attempting to contact victims who were here at the time.
Sadly wouldn't be the first time. I love my Orange, but there was a certain professor that lost his job quietly with NDAs signed who was banned from campus who was a serial abuser of students. I know many who were his victims including student athletes and I was groomed as one too. It saddens me it didn't come out in today's world so he could be exposed for who he is.

Sadly wouldn't be the first time. I love my Orange, but there was a certain professor that lost his job quietly with NDAs signed who was banned from campus who was a serial abuser of students. I know many who were his victims including student athletes and I was groomed as one too. It saddens me it didn't come out in today's world so he could be exposed for who he is.

Not sure what you mean by groomed but I hope it hasn't affected you too much.

Not sure what you mean by groomed but I hope it hasn't affected you too much.
I wasn't abused but was made to do some uncomfortable things I look back on and realize what it was. Many friends were abused. The only effect on me was guilt over never reporting it because I loved him, he was my favorite professor and he was always "good to me."

After this morning article, I can this getting worse for SU

Link? What's the latest.
It's on syracuse.com

Basically people around here said they made complaints to school about him and most assumed he was tied in as a coach or volunteer for the school. That he kind of just was around and no one thought any different

That Manley was a free for all for a lot of bad and questionable things at the time; that people saw things and reported; and that within a few months he had moved on down the road to his next stop to continue doing what he did

The problem is people said they made reports to the school, and the people quoted in the article mention interviewing with lawyers from the University recently.

It looks like the school is preparing to be sued

Every institution where adults and young people mix has a story like this in its history, unfortunately. Whether or not they come to light is another story. These are the places where perverts learn to blend in and stalk their prey.
How SU (evidently) reacted is how they all reacted, in those times.
The times have changed now, and people are getting called out. The victims now understand that there is no shame in being victimized, and they are calling out perpetrators, and hopefully, getting help in dealing with these traumatic and life altering events, if they haven't already been able to do so.

Could people in charge in that situation do better? Surely so.
Was SU aware of the issues? To be determined?
Was out of sight out of mind a good policy? No.
Is that how it was done? Yes.
Should we hold people accountable for actions then, based upon today's mores and standards? I am not a fan of that. I think the proper standard is did they do anything wrong, based upon the obligations at the time.

Hopefully, with these things being brought to light, prosecutions of perpetrators will happen, and victims will get help, and with assistance, the cycle of abuse can be ended.

It's on syracuse.com

Basically people around here said they made complaints to school about him and most assumed he was tied in as a coach or volunteer for the school. That he kind of just was around and no one thought any different

That Manley was a free for all for a lot of bad and questionable things at the time; that people saw things and reported; and that within a few months he had moved on down the road to his next stop to continue doing what he did

The problem is people said they made reports to the school, and the people quoted in the article mention interviewing with lawyers from the University recently.

It looks like the school is preparing to be sued

Unless I missed it, I don’t see where “people” made complaints to SU. It mentions one person who believes he complained to athletic administration but doesn’t remember the conversation.

Manley was always packed back then. Everyone used it. High schools, SU teams, the public, everyone.

Unless I missed it, I don’t see where “people” made complaints to SU. It mentions one person who believes he complained to athletic administration but doesn’t remember the conversation.

Manley was always packed back then. Everyone used it. High schools, SU teams, the public, everyone.
Agreed. Not sure which article orangenauburn was reading...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom