Horse Racing 2024 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Horse Racing 2024

I wouldn't go by anything coming out of that crapshow Fox TV coverage.
not Fox the NYRA people which were there all week.

Belmont park is slated to be done Q3 of 2026 as well its up in the air if the will run a race before the building is ready but you cant run a Belmont without a building

Last edited:
The sooner they get it back to Belmont, the better. If it's not logistically feasible to run it there, that's fine. But if NYRA is just looking to squeeze more juice out of the Saratoga lemon, that's stupid.

Belmont park is slated to be done Q3 of 2026 as well its up in the air if the will run a race before the building is ready but you cant run a Belmont without a building
Their original plan was to run the Belmont there in 2026 within a short meet, then open the new facility for full time racing in the Fall.

We will see if they have delays as well.

Still hard to run a big event for 50K if you dont have the grandstand and such. The meet with 5K can be dealt with.

We will see if they have delays as well.

Still hard to run a big event for 50K if you dont have the grandstand and such. The meet with 5K can be dealt with.
They wouldn't run it without the facility being fully completed and capable of accommodating a normal Belmont Day crowd.

Thats why I think they said 2026 would still be in Saratoga they want to host the Breeders cup in the fall there. Q3 means july to septish being done.

Only difference to me is whether I decide to go next yr but if I knew 2026 was going to be there I would probably wait until then for the trip.

Thats why I think they said 2026 would still be in Saratoga they want to host the Breeders cup in the fall there. Q3 means july to septish being done.

Only difference to me is whether I decide to go next yr but if I knew 2026 was going to be there I would probably wait until then for the trip.
I don't think you will ever see the Breeder's Cup at Saratoga, I think the new Belmont would be a possibility.

I don't think you will ever see the Breeder's Cup at Saratoga, I think the new Belmont would be a possibility.
Sorry , I was meaning they want to host the breeders cup at Belmont in fall of 2026.

They capped the new Belmont at 50K of seats as well. Not sure what the infield will hold. I miss the old Saratoga infield days though

NYRA is hoping to get it back at Belmont as soon as the new facility is ready, but they've been getting screwed over by the Breeders Cup for years, so who knows. It's a travesty that NY isn't in a regular rotation for that event, as it was for many years.

Not a horse bettor outside of Triple crown races and hit my biggest score at the Belmont/Saratoga. A buddy who does follow this stuff told me bet the #6 so I did so for $20 across the board. I was surprised the odds increased throughout the day to 17-1.

I wonder how long the NYRA/Fanduel dispute goes on. No viewing or betting at Saratoga and the BIG A makes it more of a pain to watch it. Have to be a bunch of locals in the city that view and bet thru Fanduel TV

Everyone has their own thoughts on when Summer unofficially begins. For me it's when, "They're off in the Schuylerville!"
I love attending opening day. Hopefully it doesn't rain. By my calculations, this is my 52nd year attending the "flat track". Probably only my 15th or 20th on opening day.

Good luck to you and everyone else during the meet!
Handicapping the card as I read this. Off the turf today - here we go.

Handicapping the card as I read this. Off the turf today - here we go.
Better that nasty weather blew through the state yesterday than today. They are always going to lose some grass races given that they card five or six day.

Agree - I’m an old school handicapper and I hate the lack of symmetry in my form/printout when I have to scratch out 20 entries.(wink emoji)

Saffie Joseph's win % the last month has been...umm...well, probably drug induced. I would bet on his horses heavily this summer, then expect a years long suspension at some point.

Caught a break yesterday when they took down the 8 and put the 7 up in the last race. Had a $2 pick 5 with the 1 singled in the 6th and the 6 singled in the 9th. 1x4x5x1x3x $2. $120 bet paid $8,532. Good first week.

Well done, and perhaps a good sign? Seems it more often goes the other way.