Hot Seat | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hot Seat

Honestly, this is why fans shouldn't become Athletic Directors. This season has sucked, no doubt about that, but firing Marrone after three seasons is short-sighted. Syracuse is getting much more $$$ now moving to the ACC, they're more competitive than they've been in a decade. I'm with Townie; he's got at least three more years. If we're still sitting at a perennial 6-6 in three years, then we have this discussion.

Honestly, this is why fans shouldn't become Athletic Directors. This season has sucked, no doubt about that, but firing Marrone after three seasons is short-sighted. Syracuse is getting much more $$$ now moving to the ACC, they're more competitive than they've been in a decade. I'm with Townie; he's got at least three more years. If we're still sitting at a perennial 6-6 in three years, then we have this discussion.

honestly after 3 more years it will be going on 15 years of failure and its too late. Few people are saying fire him now. But firing him if we are a 5 or 6 win team after NEXT year should be on the table.

Syracuse is getting much more $$$ now moving to the ACC, they're more competitive than they've been in a decade.

I wouldn't call 1 conference win (in the worst conference ever) competitive.

Next year, hot seat... but he will get at least one more year afterward to see if the type of QBs he is recruiting can infuse excitement and big plays. But I believe he will be forced to do things like bring in a legit OC and special teams coach. You just can't argue with the ineptitude that has built game after game this year with those two units.

He'll be the coach in 2012 and 2013, without any doubt.

No doubt.

God, we have dumb fans -- of course not.

Prior to the season, if you had told me that our record would be what it is. I probably would have said no way to the hot seat. But looking completely inept for half of a season makes this situation more about HOW we got here, instead of just looking at the record. And frankly, it scares the crap out of me. And I am not even one of the folk looking for their torch and pitchfork.

Love Marrone, but it does say something that no contract extension has been announced.

"The reality is that Rutgers has had one good football season in its entire existence and has been nationally irrelevant in basketball for the past generation. Success and tradition matter, and Rutgers has little to none of either. Considering what Rutgers has accomplished on the field, it is lucky to be in the Big East in football and basketball." - Pete Thamel, Pulitzer Prize winning writer for the NY Times

Love Marrone, but it does say something that no contract extension has been announced.

He's got a 5 year contract. Aren't extensions usually announced during Year 4?

Greg Robinson, a.k.a. The Worst Coach I Have Ever Seen, got 4 years.

Marrone will get 5.

Marrone will be here for a long while because he will eventually succeed. Now if he fails to make bowls in years 4 and 5, then yes, he would and should be a goner. But he will be here 5 years at least (barring a Randy Edsall type year at UMD or a Turner Gill year @ KU next year).

It's a good thing most of you were not around with Coach Mac from 1981 to 1987.

Wow.

While it's silly to suggest Marrone is on anything resembling a hot seat, it's also fair to say that the game has changed significantly from the early 80s.

Marrone will be here for a long while because he will eventually succeed. Now if he fails to make bowls in years 4 and 5, then yes, he would and should be a goner. But he will be here 5 years at least (barring a Randy Edsall type year at UMD or a Turner Gill year @ KU next year).

I wasn't saying he'll only be here 5 years, I'm saying that's the bare minimum.

Curious what you consider succeeding though? 8+ wins a year?

I wasn't saying he'll only be here 5 years, I'm saying that's the bare minimum.

Curious what you consider succeeding though? 8+ wins a year?

Long term, I'm looking for decades like the 90s. I want to contend for conference titles, win them every few years. I want to continue to play tough OOC schedules and win some biggies. I think 8-4, 9-3 type seasons should be the norm.

Short term,I just want to go to a football game and not be bored out of my mind. We obviously aren't up to that chapter yet.

Long term, I'm looking for decades like the 90s. I want to contend for conference titles, win them every few years. I want to continue to play tough OOC schedules and win some biggies. I think 8-4, 9-3 type seasons should be the norm.

Short term,I just want to go to a football game and not be bored out of my mind. We obviously aren't up to that chapter yet.

Fair. I'm with you, ideally that's my expectation too.

Here's what getting me down though... That expectation was built over an era of success that spanned 12 years (1987-98). With 2001 being the exception, we're now at year 13 of being a fairly irrelevant program.

Fair. I'm with you, ideally that's my expectation too.

Here's what getting me down though... That expectation was built over an era of success that spanned 12 years (1987-98). With 2001 being the exception, we're now at year 13 of being a fairly irrelevant program.

And the 2 decades before the more recent glory years of the late 80s and 90s were also years of irrelevance.

There is zero reason or excuse for not getting back to those 90's type teams. None. We just need to have the right coach with the ability to resurrect the program. The board is obviously split on whether or not we have the right guy to do so but I don't fear that our program is permanently going to go dodo bird.

He has at least two more years and probably 3 or 4.

Those that don't like will have to lump it.

As a long time watcher of SU sports, I'll guarantee it's at least three.

Su is very, very reluctant to fire coaches. (For those who don;t know that.)

Lol! Watch out with that guarantee. Forgot his handle, but the poster who tracks what everyone says here just added your prediction to his data base for later review. :bat:

Lol! Watch out with that guarantee. Forgot his handle, but the poster who tracks what everyone says here just added your prediction to his data base for later review. :bat:

There is no question about this. This is definitely going into fanfanclubclub's "file" and may be used against you in the future. Oh, and if you didn't know, his linear regression model knows all.

You are 100% spot on with this post and this thread is pathetically moronic.

If we miss a bowl next year, sure. That's the earliest though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he gets at least 6 years, more likely 8 years. GRob only got 4 years because he was completely inept. We know that Marrone isn't inept. In addition Marrone is an alumn so I think he will get a longer leash than a normal HC. On top of that he has a lot of influential backers that will buy him more time. That is what got him hired, it wasn't his resume. Which is why I think he will get 8 years.

The only way I see him not lasting 8 years is if TGD insists on hiring a new OC at some point. In which case Marrone says go F yourself, I am leaving. Then again if it ever got to that, I could see TGD being pushed out by the Marrone backers.

After watching HCDM's post-game presser, he really sounded down.....more down than I've seen a head coach in a long time. It was depressing and I felt very badly for him because I know how hard he's working and how badly he wants to turn this program around. I think he's the kind of guy who will take himself out and resign if things don't improve in the NEAR future. And by near future, from the sound of what he was saying and how he said it, I think he'll resign after next season if things keep going like they are. Call me nuts, but I also think he's the kind of guy who will go to Gross after this season and give him an out if he (Gross) wants to take it, if we lose again next week. I think he's that honorable and responsible. He's demanding of his players and I think he's just as demanding of himself.

He's a great guy and a credit to the program.....a guy who I badly want to see succeed. So I'm still pulling hard for him, but if things don't turn around next season, I'm afraid it will be time to part ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom