Houston hires Dana Holgorsen | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Houston hires Dana Holgorsen

Just saw this on their R!vals board... too funny not to repost here - Edsall !:

hillbillyrivals.png
i am surprised schiano did not show up. any nd assistants available. hope he does well i think he is good coach

I don't know where I read it (here?) that Kingsbury turned down the Houston job and Holgersen was the backup choice. Apparently Kingsbury is now getting NFL OC offers and three teams want to interview him for their head job. All I can say is that's a good example of bad groupthink. I get that he has a good eye for QBs but he was pretty mediocre with all of that QB talent.

I don't know where I read it (here?) that Kingsbury turned down the Houston job and Holgersen was the backup choice. Apparently Kingsbury is now getting NFL OC offers and three teams want to interview him for their head job. All I can say is that's a good example of bad groupthink. I get that he has a good eye for QBs but he was pretty mediocre with all of that QB talent.

I think he might have had something to do with that QB talent.

The guy always had a good offense and developed two of the top young QBs in the NFL. Texas Tech is a 6-7 win program not a 10 win program that league is deep. They are going to be in big trouble with the next guy do they think they are going to get good at defense all of a sudden or something? They might be taking KU's spot in the cellar if Miles does a good job there.

I'm not saying I would hire Kingsbury if I was an NFL GM but I would hire the best offensive mind as HC and then try and pick up a good DC. Not shocked at all hes a hot commodity.

We were the last games for the Louisville and WV coaches... cool...

One thing to remember is that WVUs endowment is incredibly small ~500 mill, while Houston's is almost double that. While endowments != directly correlate to football money, it does mean something.

You COULD argue that Holgorsen went to a much richer school

….yes richer in many ways:

Reasons why Holgorsen left WV for Houston : Money and Texas Area Talent and More

With info gleaned from SBNATION

>Holgorsen and UH have an agreement in place on a five-year, $20 million deal that appears to make Holgorsen the highest-paid coach at any non-power conference school ever.

>In Holgorsen, Houston had a candidate who badly wanted to be in the Cougars’ city, sources said, having had success in and near Texas before.

>Houston is a key talent hub in a top recruiting state. It produces a heaping handful of four-stars every year, and occasionally a generational talent like UH’s Ed Oliver.

>Relatively, Houston can have a more favorable talent situation in the AAC than West Virginia can in the Big 12.//

Holgorsen was and is an up and coming offensive guru. From an assistant position at Miss. St. and assistant and OC at Houston before becoming HC at WV. I did a little research and he's also returning because of billionaire Tillman Feritta who is the biggest of the Houston Football Booster Club who is investing in athletics but specifically in the football program (we should have this problem; an individual with very large pockets filled with green things that provide interest to fans all around Texas.

Why Houston Wanted Him Back

During his two-year tenure with the Cougars, Holgorsen's offenses posted earth-shattering numbers, accounting for 563 yards of total offense per game, passing for 433.7 yards per game and totaling more than 42.2 points per game. His offense ranked No. 3 in total offense in 2008 with a duo of freshmen quarterbacks and No. 1 in 2009 behind the arm of Heisman finalist and All-Conference quarterback Case Keenum. In 2008–2009, Case Keenum, led the nation in total offense totaling 403.2 yards per game as a sophomore and 416.4 yards his junior season.

Plus his winning years at WV.

Additionally, Houston doesn't have its head in the sand. It wants to be larger more important so it's going to be. All Holgorsen has to do now is WIN more than eight games a year – if he doesn't he's going to be out like Applewhite. I think DH is headed to the NFL someday but like I said if he doesn't win there's always someone else up and coming. Part of being a HC at a major university is living with the specter of being fired at the whim of the dollar.
at any time

What lot of success?

He got fired his last two jobs in the NFL. He had the worst defense in D1 over his four years here His defense at Michigan was awful

He did well during his second stint at Texas.

Living in Houston versus Morgantown WV.

Houston’s not all that great and their schools expectations are borderline laughable.

I don’t understand the Big 12 to AAC move it seems like a step back to me. WV is the better job but maybe Dana just wanted a change

I don’t understand the Big 12 to AAC move it seems like a step back to me. WV is the better job but maybe Dana just wanted a change
I honestly think that he was wearing out his welcome at WVU, next year was going to be comparatively lean, and UH offered him $20 million over the next couple of years (in a state with no income tax lol).

It is, however, a hilariously bad look for WVU, and it has to make UConn sweat. Even the biggest homer can not deny that even if there was conference expansion, UCF and UH are not only ahead of them, but are also taking serious steps to keep it that way (UH also has a new stadium).

Hopefully, some of the big donors reach into their sqwallets for solid hire to replace Holgo...

squwallet.jpg
Best laugh I’ve had all day!

https://www.chron.com/sports/cougar...gorsen-contract-Houston-football-13505761.php

- Holgorsen will receive a guaranteed salary of $3.7 million in 2019, $3.8 million in 2020, $4 million in 2021, $4.2 million in 2022 and $4.3 million in 2023.

$4.5m for assistants!

That's some serious money for a guy who's averaged around 7.5 wins a year. Don't get me wrong. He's a solid coach with a track record of success but I'm not sure he's worth all that. Good move for him, though. It was time to move. He's got a ton of NFL offensive talent moving on this year. WVU will not be nearly as good in 2019, especially if Allison is the best they've got at QB. Fans are getting antsy, think he's underachieving. It's possible that he could have been fired at the end of next season if he stayed.

That's some serious money for a guy who's averaged around 7.5 wins a year. Don't get me wrong. He's a solid coach with a track record of success but I'm not sure he's worth all that. Good move for him, though. It was time to move. He's got a ton of NFL offensive talent moving on this year. WVU will not be nearly as good in 2019, especially if Allison is the best they've got at QB. Fans are getting antsy, think he's underachieving. It's possible that he could have been fired at the end of next season if he stayed.

It is a lot of cash but it makes me think of Saban at MSU when he left for LSU. Couldn't win the Big 10 there but once he had the resources he won the SEC. Plus, Texas is one fertile recruiting state. Add to that...Houston will be a big fish in a small pond.

He traded in a tougher schedule, living and recruiting to WV, a chance at national title for

More money, more wins, easier recruiting and no shot at a national title

Seems like the kind of shrewd move a guy like Dana would make

Hopefully, some of the big donors reach into their sqwallets for solid hire to replace Holgo...

squwallet.jpg

While that's both funny and creepy, it's also a bad photoshop job on the Morgantown.

Maybe he figures he will go to Houston, have wild success in that realm, then jump to the NFL or a bigger program. Perhaps he saw his star fading at WVU.

While that's both funny and creepy, it's also a bad photoshop job on the Morgantown.

If that's the worst thing you see today, you are having a stellar day...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom