How about a gift for fans that stay to the end? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How about a gift for fans that stay to the end?

FREE BEER!... In the history of man, it has never failed. Doesn't matter what the question is.
If someone gave me a free beer voucher to one of the local bars I'm 100% staying till the end (I would anyway) and I would also probably get a few (maybe 10 more at the bar) win-win in my book ;)

I haven't been to a game elsewhere in years, but the folks at tigerdroppings are pretty candid about the thinning of their home crowds throughout games. And they are considered among the best fan-bases in the Country.
By halftime of their opener yesterday, about half the crowd was gone and half of the crowd that was left, was getting drunk in the parking lots.

The only difference is that they sell out every game.

If we become a perennial Top 25 team again, the crowds will come. It is what it is.

If someone gave me a free beer voucher to one of the local bars I'm 100% staying till the end (I would anyway) and I would also probably get a few (maybe 10 more at the bar) win-win in my book ;)

Or a voucher for a Dome Foam on your next visit!

How about a gift for those who watched ESPN3 to the very end and finished all their beer even though they had to be up at 5:30 am for their son's hockey practice?

I'm just saying, they're out there. And they should be rewarded.
You finished "a" beer? Good for you Chip!

There's just something about the SU fanbase that is inherently antsy to beat the traffic. I can remember many big time basketball wins where we will be up 8-10 points with a minute and change left, and the moment it feels like the game is decided everyone floods the exits like the Dome is on fire.

Not sure what people were expecting.

If we're going to keep playing an FCS team on Labor Day weekend (and I hope we do, it's a good tune up), it's never going to be well attended. The crowd is never going to be all that into it.

I mean this. Right now the W is more important than anything else. College games are painfully long, Friday night was like watching a practice.

That is sad. Look how many are in the stands at Penn State against Akron. I know they are in the MAC, but it is packed. It is disappointing going to other venues (particularly Clemson) and watching how many fans they have before and after the game. It is easy for me to criticize since I live in North Carolina but if I did still live there, I would make an attempt to make every home game. I never leave early. I don't get it. BTW - I got my tickets for NC State and will remain there the whole game win or lose. Our football fan base needs to step up. I remember going to a Cuse NC State basketball game like 5-6 years ago and there were almost as many Cuse fan as State.
Support this team and the recruits like the Sampsons, Whites and Devitos will come. If not, we will continue to be a sub par team. Enough of my rant...

I go to a Penn State game every year since my wife graduated from there. Even before the Sandusky stuff, there were a TON of empty seats at most games. I'd guess they were drawing about 80K for most games - more than us, but a lot of empties in a 100K+ stadium. Attendance at the Akron game was 101K+.

Anyone that doubts winning is the key driver of attendance just needs to look at Penn State

I go to a Penn State game every year since my wife graduated from there. Even before the Sandusky stuff, there were a TON of empty seats at most games. I'd guess they were drawing about 80K for most games - more than us, but a lot of empties in a 100K+ stadium. Attendance at the Akron game was 101K+.

Anyone that doubts winning is the key driver of attendance just needs to look at Penn State

Texas had emptied yesterday. UNC playing a PAC 12 team looked half empty. These games are painfully long and TV is pretty good

I mean this. Right now the W is more important than anything else. College games are painfully long, Friday night was like watching a practice.

yea when ccsu continually ran on 3rd and long instead of actually trying to get the first , i couldnt actually get on the fans for leaving early, especially those who have to drive 30 mins plus since the game was dragging on forever

yea when ccsu continually ran on 3rd and long instead of actually trying to get the first , i couldnt actually get on the fans for leaving early, especially those who have to drive 30 mins plus since the game was dragging on forever

Agreed, we need to get to point where we are a valued early season game. Sucks but with all the turnover it is what it is.

Everyone stayed until the end of the Villanova game, I prefer last nights crowd reaction, just saying.

I think there's just so much opportunity to make the Dome experience amazing. I love coming up here and will as much as I can but it felt so dead last night... made me a little sad.
We're working on it.

I agree with your general point. But in Penn State's case, the question is, at what cost?

There's just something about the SU fanbase that is inherently antsy to beat the traffic. I can remember many big time basketball wins where we will be up 8-10 points with a minute and change left, and the moment it feels like the game is decided everyone floods the exits like the Dome is on fire.

It's all the more strange since I can't ever recall having to wait more than 20 minutes to get out of a lot and on my way in all the time I've gone to games at the Dome. Unlike, say, games at MetLife or Gillette where I've waited 90 minutes just to leave the parking lot.

That is sad. Look how many are in the stands at Penn State against Akron. I know they are in the MAC, but it is packed. It is disappointing going to other venues (particularly Clemson) and watching how many fans they have before and after the game. It is easy for me to criticize since I live in North Carolina but if I did still live there, I would make an attempt to make every home game. I never leave early. I don't get it. BTW - I got my tickets for NC State and will remain there the whole game win or lose. Our football fan base needs to step up. I remember going to a Cuse NC State basketball game like 5-6 years ago and there were almost as many Cuse fan as State.
Support this team and the recruits like the Sampsons, Whites and Devitos will come. If not, we will continue to be a sub par team. Enough of my rant...
Sadly too many Cuse Football fans have moved away from 1975 onward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom