How about we cut Cooney some slack | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How about we cut Cooney some slack

You liked him driving into the paint with around 10 seconds left on the clock when we were down by 3? Everyone in the building is expecting a three, and for good reason, we were down three!

It not rocket science, it was a bad decision. Give JS, CJ, or even himself a 3pt shot at tieing the game. A quick two just doesn't do it. Not at under 10 seconds.

I now really have reservations about this kid manning one of our main guard spots next year.

He won't be a starter over Ennis or Gbinje.

Not talking about any other game.
Mr. lottery pick was horrendous tonight and the team lost the game because of it.
Not because of Cooney or anyone else.

Ya because JS, Triche and Keita were setting the world on fire. Plenty of blame to go around including MCW who had a terrible game.

Folks your missing the point, no one is blamign Cooney for the loss, were talking about the last shot please stop the overreaction.
It's ridiculous to blame him for the last play. To big a situition for him at this point. That escapes most here.

Not talking about any other game.
Mr. lottery pick was horrendous tonight and the team lost the game because of it.
Not because of Cooney or anyone else.

Not because of James or our bigs who couldn't buy a rebound I. The first half. Team game was not there. You can try to pin it on one guy but you will be reaching

It's ridiculous to blame him for the last play. To big a situition for him at this point. That escapes most here.

Are you serious? Whose fault is it? Juli Boehiem? Otto? John Desko? The boards? The kid is a redshirt Freshmen who has had two years in the program this isnt a true freshmen in the month of November in the preseason NIT. Im 99% sure JB didnt say during the TO, hey Trevor take it to the hole and throw up a wild shot with 7 seconds left.

You liked him driving into the paint with around 10 seconds left on the clock when we were down by 3? Everyone in the building is expecting a three, and for good reason, we were down three!

It not rocket science, it was a bad decision. Give JS, CJ, or even himself a 3pt shot at tieing the game. A quick two just doesn't do it. Not at under 10 seconds.

I now really have reservations about this kid manning one of our main guard spots next year.

I didn't say he should have driven, however many on this board are forgetting the other 39:50 of the game and acting like Cooney cost us the game. Hell, we had a tough time scoring much of the year with two pretty good guards. Does anyone really think we were going to score many points in OT even if Cooney or someone else did hot a three to send it to OT?

You base a lot on a single possession by a seldom used shooting guard who was sitting on the bench for 25+ minutes and was thrown into the game with a minute to play to be the ballhandler.

Are you serious? Whose fault is it? Juli Boehiem? Otto? John Desko? The boards? The kid is a redshirt Freshmen who has had two years in the program this isnt a true freshmen in the month of November in the preseason NIT. Im 99% sure JB didnt say during the TO, hey Trevor take it to the hole and throw up a wild shot with 7 seconds left.

I think the point is that the play was blown up and here we are expecting a kid no barely got any burn in big east play to make things happen. If you think experience had nothing to do with the way that play turned out you sir are not looking at reality.

I think the point is that the play was blown up and here we are expecting a kid no barely got any burn in big east play to make things happen. If you think experience had nothing to do with the way that play turned out you sir are not looking at reality.
Yes. Thank you.

Again you need a 3 its not rocket science, if nothings there jsut launch a desperation 3 if you miss, y0u miss no big deal. But you cant drive for a 2 there when theres under 10 seconds and were down 3.

Also how was it "blown up", he drove to the basket on his own accord. He screwed up, why is it so hard for you and others to admit it.

Perhaps you all can help me out.
I just don't understand he final offensive possession.
From reading this thread I assume people believe Cooney just panicked.

But what play was Boeheim going for?
It seems pretty obvious that the play should have been for Cooney, Fair or Southerland to shoot a 3.
But Southerland was under the glass and Cooney was driving.
Only Fair was in 3-position.
So what happened?
Did Boeheim address that post-game?

Again you need a 3 its not rocket science, if nothings there jsut launch a desperation 3 if you miss, y0u miss no big deal. But you cant drive for a 2 there when theres under 10 seconds and were down 3.
I really, really doubt he was driving with the intent of taking a 2-pt shot. I really, really think the play was for him to drive and dish. And it blew up. And he panicked. Because he had never been in such a situation. Against a pre-conference pushover team. Let alone in the closing seconds of the final four.
See?

Perhaps you all can help me out.
I just don't understand he final offensive possession.
From reading this thread I assume people believe Cooney just panicked.

But what play was Boeheim going for?
It seems pretty obvious that the play should have been for Cooney, Fair or Southerland to shoot a 3.
But Southerland was under the glass and Cooney was driving.
Only Fair was in 3-position.
So what happened?
Did Boeheim address that post-game?

Fair flashed to the top of the Key I believe, the ball was supposed to go there. Cooney panicked and just drove to the basket. Should have just stepped back and launched it.

Also how was it "blown up", he drove to the basket on his own accord. He screwed up, why is it so hard for you and others to admit it.

If you think Vooney having an open lane shows the play wasn't blown up you have made my point. You clearly do t understand the game. He was supposed to kick it out to James or CJ and neither was available. He had committed to the drive and had to act. Not ideal but it happened

I really, really doubt he was driving with the intent of taking a 2-pt shot. I really, really think the play was for him to drive and dish. And it blew up. And he panicked. Because he had never been in such a situation. Against a pre-conference pushover team. Let alone in the closing seconds of the final four.
See?

Thats fine its still a mistake on his part which is what a few of us have pointed out. In that situation hes better trying to force a pass back out and getting it stolen then shooting a contested layup, we needed a 3 no matter what.

If you think Vooney having an open lane shows the play wasn't blown up you have made my point. You clearly do t understand the game. He was supposed to kick it out to James or CJ and neither was available. He had committed to the drive and had to act. Not ideal but it happened

Again you cant shoot a two. Dribble it back out if you have to throw it to Grant whatever you have to, a two is useless. Also how is an open lane for Cooney a blown up play, do you think maybe UM gave him the drive??

I'm not killing Cooney. But I expect him to have enough BB IQ to know that in that situation you have to shoot a 3. Either pass it out or take a 3 pt shot but don't take a deuce. I can live with a missed 3 pt shot.

Thats fine its still a mistake on his part which is what a few of us have pointed out. In that situation hes better trying to force a pass back out and getting it stolen then shooting a contested layup, we needed a 3 no matter what.
Yes, Trevor Cooney made a mistake in that play.
To dwell on that—considering everything else that transpired during the game, considering how poorly certain other players played throughout the game, and considering how ridiculously ill-equipped Cooney was to even be in there for that play—just does not make sense to me at all.

JB said the ball was suppose to go to southerland but southerland got bottled. Should Cooney have shot a 3? Yes. But under that kind of pressure for a guy that has not played under intense pressure, I give him a pass. jeremy, you have never been under that kind of pressure.

Yes, Trevor Cooney made a mistake in that play.
To dwell on that—considering everything else that transpired during the game, considering how poorly certain other players played throughout the game, and considering how ridiculously ill-equipped Cooney was to even be in there for that play—just does not make sense to me at all.

No ones dwelling on it, JS, Triche, MCW and the centers were all bad on offense today, a few of them were awful. People just want the apologizing for every Cooney mistake to stop, you cant question the kid on here about anything without 20 people runnign to his defense like hes 5 years old.

JB said the ball was suppose to go to southerland but southerland got bottled. Should Cooney have shot a 3? Yes. But under that kind of pressure for a guy that has not played under intense pressure, I give him a pass. jeremy, you have never been under that kind of pressure.

Look im sure he had more pressure there then I will ever know but he has to know we need a 3, if he pulled up and shot an airball id be fine with it. If he tried to pass back out and got it stolen id still be fine with it. You have to shoot a 3 there period no matter who the play was originally called for even if Rak has to shoot it.

Sure. Sure you would.

Take shots at me all you want, bottom line that was a horrible decision by Cooney, you can make all the excuses you want, it was horrible.

Look im sure he had more pressure there then I will ever know but he has to know we need a 3, if he pulled up and shot an airball id be fine with it. If he tried to pass back out and got it stolen id still be fine with it. You have to shoot a 3 there period no matter who the play was originally called for even if Rak has to shoot it.
Did anyone say he did the right thing? Of course not. But in all the things to talk about, this is 1009. A player with no experience couldn't get the ball to the guy he was suppose to and panicked under intense pressure. The rest of us can understand that. You can't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom