How about we cut Cooney some slack | Syracusefan.com

How about we cut Cooney some slack

Absolutely...even if we do tie it we lose in ot, just wish we took control earler in the half when mich was crapping the bed

T
the kid has never been in a pressure situition like that in his life. He hit a 3 earlier and worked his @ss off. Anyone here, and I mean everyone, would have wet their pants if they were in his place.
his kid was on hte team that made the Elite * last year.

It is the ultimate young man's game. Next time, PULL UP FROM F****NG THREE.

T
his kid was on hte team that made the Elite * last year.

It is the ultimate young man's game. Next time, PULL UP FROM THREE.
whose kid? Cooney? He didn't play last year.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Your team is down three points, and you go for a lay-up with at the most :04 remaining if he is to make it.

Then you have to hope that you can foul and they miss at least 1 of 2 ft's all before those :04 expire. Then you have to hope you can even inbound the ball close enough to the other side of the court(because your team is out of TO's) to get off a shot to win it.

That bad of a decision doesn't allow him to get any slack for it.

Look no one is blaming Cooney for the loss but that last play was absolutely horrifc, the lack of bball IQ on that is CYO level. You have to shoot a 3, id rather Trevor pull up and airball a 3, at least take a 3.

Don't blame him at all. Blame the refs for screwing us at the end and knocking out our 2 starting guards.

of course we needed a 3. All I am saying is the kid is a lightly used sub thrown in a impossible situition. Both guards foul out.

All Boeheims fault on that last play not Cooney.

If Boeheim drew up that play, did he?

of course we needed a 3. All I am saying is the kid is a lightly used sub thrown in a impossible situition. Both guards foul out.

Would you have known better then to take a contested lay-up?

I just watched the final play. CJ was flashing to the top of the key. My guess is Cooney was supposed to kick it out to him, but when he was in the lane I think he panicked because UM's defense converged on him. Bad play, but we shouldn't have dug ourselves such a deep hole.

I find it ridiculous that anyone in their right mind can find fault with Cooney. I wish someone with more time and patience than me would look up how many scoreless possessions we had when we trailed by 3-4 points. At one point we were down 4 and went 3 straight possessions without scoring. Defense can only get you so far, I bet before this game most of us would have said we win if we hold Michigan to 61 points. Wasted possessions have been an issue ALL season both when we won and lost games. Fortunately, even tonight when our defense was playing well we could keep leads or keep ourselves in games.

the kid has never been in a pressure situition like that in his life. He hit a 3 earlier and worked his @ss off. Anyone here, and I mean everyone, would have wet their pants if they were in his place.

Yeah, kid played fine, tough position to be put in. No complaints.

I just can't understand what he was thinking with under 15 seconds left, down by 3, driving inside. This is also after a timeout. I'm sure that wasn't what he was told to do. It was bad.

The only real play is to have someone take a 3. There were 3 top possibilities, JS, CJ, and Cooney himself.

Taking a three is the only thing you can do in that situation, regardless of the level you are playing in: College, high school, jr high, cyo, etc. It doesn't change. It really does bring into play his BBall IQ. It's one thing to put up a bad, chokelike shot, but it is something else to not know what you have to do. I am disappointed.

Folks your missing the point, no one is blamign Cooney for the loss, were talking about the last shot please stop the overreaction.

uh-huh, sure. Mr. lottery pick with a line of 2 pts on 1-6 shooting, 2 assists, 5 turnovers and 5 fouls and people are directing their criticisms at a kid who's played, what, 7 minutes per game and had handled little to none of the ball handling?
Yeah, makes sense.

uh-huh, sure. Mr. lottery pick with a line of 2 pts on 1-6 shooting, 2 assists, 5 turnovers and 5 fouls and people are directing their criticisms at a kid who's played, what, 7 minutes per game and had handled little to none of the ball handling?
Yeah, makes sense.
Mr lottery pick is one of the big reaso s you got to watch to out instead of watching Michigan Marquette.

Actually, as it turns out, it's you who is missing the point. By a large margin.

How so? Because I questioned why our backup pt guard who at this point only shoots 3's decides to drive to the basket with 8 seconds left in a game where were down 3 and need a 3 to tie, and all of this is coming off of a TO. Ya sounds like I am way off.

I find it ridiculous that anyone in their right mind can find fault with Cooney. .

You liked him driving into the paint with around 10 seconds left on the clock when we were down by 3? Everyone in the building is expecting a three, and for good reason, we were down three!

It not rocket science, it was a bad decision. Give JS, CJ, or even himself a 3pt shot at tieing the game. A quick two just doesn't do it. Not at under 10 seconds.

I now really have reservations about this kid manning one of our main guard spots next year.

Yeah, let's blame Cooney...MCW had 2pts in his 38 minutes; but this is all Cooney's fault.
Has anybody in this thread said that the loss is 100% on cooney? OP asked if we cut him some slack for the final play, and we aren't.

Has anybody in this thread said that the loss is 100% on cooney? OP asked if we cut him some slack for the final play, and we aren't.

Bingo, I dont understanding this over protection for questioning Cooney on one play.

Mr lottery pick is one of the big reaso s you got to watch to out instead of watching Michigan Marquette.
Not talking about any other game.
Mr. lottery pick was horrendous tonight and the team lost the game because of it.
Not because of Cooney or anyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom