How awful was Jim Nance? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How awful was Jim Nance?

CBS should be ashamed of itself. It gets a little worse every year as more guys who don't pay attention are calling and analyzing these games. The halftime show is EMBARRASSING to watch, we all know it so I don't need to get into details. Nance was bad. Grant sounded like an old man telling people to get off his lawn in terms of his basketball points of view. And, sadly, Raf was pretty bad, too.
Even the post game had it's terrible moments.

Kenny Smith actually said that Duke was able to get so many lobs because SU plays a 3-guard line-up and could attack the baseline on the side where the 3rd guard played. I expect that kind of drivel from Charles...but K Smith obviously didn't do his homework.

Maybe he didn't get the memo that listed Syracuse's average height at 6'9" which is the tallest avg in college hoops.

At halftime of the first game, the studio analysts were moving pies affiliated with the sweet 16 teams on to the next round.

Charles likes pecan. Clark Kellogg is a coconut cream man. Riveting analysis.

After we beat Michigan State, they were talking about how Charles rarely uses email and how he just got an iPhone for the first time and was struggling to figure out how to use it. This went on for minutes. Hard hitting analysis and coverage.

Even the post game had it's terrible moments.

Kenny Smith actually said that Duke was able to get so many lobs because SU plays a 3-guard line-up and could attack the baseline on the side where the 3rd guard played. I expect that kind of drivel from Charles...but K Smith obviously didn't do his homework.

Maybe he didn't get the memo that listed Syracuse's average height at 6'9" which is the tallest avg in college hoops.

Duke got so many lobs - because both of our Bigs are cripples playing on half of one good leg, and couldn't properly contest them like they otherwise would have.

And they had 2 freak athlete bigs to throw said lobs to, both of whom are going to be millionaires soon.

Like with football, a great receiver can make the QB look good, and bad receivers can make an otherwise solid QB look bad.

After we beat Michigan State, they were talking about how Charles rarely uses email and how he just got an iPhone for the first time and was struggling to figure out how to use it. This went on for minutes. Hard hitting analysis and coverage.

I have no idea who this appeals to. Sadly, I had to mute the game last night. Love Raff. Those other two bring him down.

Could be my SU bias but I also felt they were gushing over Duke like they were the ‘86 Celtics.

Can somebody put a photo of Big Jim in his Syracuse uni? I am technically challenged. A great Orangeman and I think an NCAA champ as Cuse wrestler.

1965-03-nancejpg-7d874682bd9fefe8.jpg

nance.jpg

Duke got so many lobs - because both of our Bigs are cripples playing on half of one good leg, and couldn't properly contest them like they otherwise would have.

And they had 2 freak athlete bigs to throw said lobs to, both of whom are going to be millionaires soon.

Like with football, a great receiver can make the QB look good, and bad receivers can make an otherwise solid QB look bad.
I agree on all points, especially the freak athlete aspect.

You can make the lob more difficult by adding pressure on the passer. Problem is that some of those passes were from the dam hash so it made it impossible to pressure without opening up something else.

It's a Sweet 16 games - I'm not sure I've ever heard any one announcer butcher a starting lineup THAT bad. It was rather shocking...If Nance had any pride he'd simply remove himself.

I typically like Nantz, especially at the Masters. That being said, last night was one of his worst performances. Clearly rolled out of bed without researching any Syracuse players.

You have one job and you literally can't pronounce half of our team.

Dole-ih-zawj?

Sih-deeeb?

Chuck-wooo?

Time to be put out to pasture on the back 9 at Augusta. It was embarrassing.
What compounds the situation is that the other 2 announcers got them right! Either Nanced failed to pay attention to what they were saying and/or everybody (including the director) failed to correct him. That is bad broadcasting! Also, was only SU names he had problems with?

I typically like Nantz, especially at the Masters. That being said, last night was one of his worst performances. Clearly rolled out of bed without researching any Syracuse players.

Why would he bother? SU was simply "in the way" of the Dukies' and their birthright, and would be gone soon, so no need to learn any of the names of the unwashed riff raff.

When they showed the clips of the lobs, I was expecting the SU ones to be included, but nope

Nanz should bet reagated to serving to Spike, Jackson and Barkley

I was actually on board with his enthusiastic pronunciation of Doh-le-zahhhhhhjjjjjjjjjjj

Too bad someone corrected him.

Makes sense. Most of the country doesn’t tune into college basketball until March. Might as well do the same for your broadcast team.

I kind of like Nantz because I associate him with calling the NC game in 2003. But god listening to him pronounce Sidibe was cringe.

I've always liked Nantz but that was truly awful There is a reason that there is a pronunciation guide in the media notes. Couldn;t even bother to look at them?!

I've always liked Nantz but that was truly awful There is a reason that there is a pronunciation guide in the media notes. Couldn;t even bother to look at them?!
Pure laziness.

CBS needs a makeover of their studio and game calling talent... It's tired and old and Nance is just a symptom... Too many lazy know-nothings...

Would like to see ESPN throw their hat in the ring... They've been shedding subscribers in the cord cutting era and could use an event injection like march madness.

and we have so few names to memorize . you don't have to learn french to order fromage grille at the cafe.

It was bad. But atleast he fixed his pronunciation. There are plenty of annoucers who consistently call a player by the wrong name... That annoys me more.

To each their own but I love Jim Nantz.

How can you love a guy that can't even take 2 minutes prior to broadcast to learn to pronounce the names of the players properly for the game he's calling??

It's lazy and unprofessional. I guess he's at the stage of his career where he knows he can get away with it on national tv. Which, in and of itself, is pretty sad.

I like him fine for masters coverage, but he shouldn't be doing college bball if he's not willing to do the basics of professionalism.

How can you love a guy that can't even take 2 minutes prior to broadcast to learn to pronounce the names of the players properly for the game he's calling??

It's lazy and unprofessional. I guess he's at the stage of his career where he knows he can get away with it on national tv. Which, in and of itself, is pretty sad.

I like him fine for masters coverage, but he shouldn't be doing college bball if he's not willing to do the basics of professionalism.

Because I'm going to evaluate him based on his 30 year body of work, not from one game last night. Chukwu is a tricky name to pronounce -- I find myself saying "Chook-woo" all the time.

Nantz should have checked out You-Tube:

That was hilarious. Do Oshae or Marek look like guards? Must've been Chewy. Did you even watch this or any other Syracuse game, Kenny?

I knew it! The ghost of the Pearl was running around out there! Kenny recognized him immediately!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom