How bad is it to be a Rutgers fan right now? | Syracusefan.com

How bad is it to be a Rutgers fan right now?

44PRIDE

All Conference
I almost feel sorry for the Snookies with how desperate their situation is

Your coach isn't winning you any games that could get you noticed.
How's that soft schedule treating you now? After 10 years of smoke and mirrors, you finally realize the only thing your overpriced coach is good at is feeding your fanbase an endless line of bullshit. But you keep buying into it because "we've got another great recruiting class coming in next year". Unfortunately, that one win against Louisville is getting smaller and smaller in the rear-view mirror.

Who are you renovating for?
Your athletic department went into debt to expand your stadium's seating capacity and luxury amenities. But since your team is so godawful, no one is attending your games. This makes your freshly expanded stadium look even more empty.

No one thinks you are a viable addition to their conference.
In 2010 you had your bags packed for the B10. In 2011, you helplessly watch as schools leave your conference. But as you watch them leave, you realize Rutgers isn't even being considered by the A10, much less the B10. Your only hope for a conference affiliation is to bring in Navy, Memphis and UCF under the "Big East" banner.

Its finally starting to sink in that Rutgers is running out of options. No one is knocking at your door.

Keep chopping y'all

I wonder what those NY kids in the last 2 years who chose the girls over SU what they think now?

What makes this situation so difficult for them is that so many of them believe or have believed their own BS.

In their world, nothing that happened before 2005 matters. The lighting on the Empire State Building in 2006 proved they were NYC's team.

So many of their experts guaranteed them they were going to the Big 10, it became an article of faith.

They cannot not square the facts as they see them with this belief that their location is irresistable to conferences looking to expand.

Based on their scheduling over the past several years I submit they look at joining the MEAC.

I have said many times that Rutgers is a noisy politician away from the Patriot League. Now it looks like they may have to spend a few years in what looks like C-USA with the remnants of the Big East before they go back to playing Lehigh and Lafayette. The good news is they can continue to play Howard, Norfolk State and the rest of these bad teams.

The RU faithful that have showed up here have dismissed my predictions as "absurd" and "impossible".

Oh yeah? How impossible is it now? The State ought to sue Mulcahy and Schiano for the cost of expanding that stadium. All you need is 15,000 seats for RU vs. Lafayette.

It's gonna get worse after tomorrow.

One word, Ohio.

I wonder what those NY kids in the last 2 years who chose the girls over SU what they think now?

If I were SU I'd be calling all the Rutgers verbal commits with a vengeance. It'd be payback for them doing the same thing with Leonard and Ray Rice when P was fired.

Payback's a bitch.

If I were SU I'd be calling all the Rutgers verbal commits with a vengeance. It'd be payback for them doing the same thing with Leonard and Ray Rice when P was fired.

Payback's a bitch.

The best part is, the payback started two years ago. It's only going to get worse.

I hope they enjoy mid-major football.

Is reality sinking in over there, or are they running with the "pious protectors of Eastern football" thing?

Is reality sinking in over there, or are they running with the "pious protectors of Eastern football" thing?

I'm sure they'll try and claim the moral highground here.

But a school that spent most of the year trying to sell itself to the Big Ten has quite a hill to climb.

They'll be OK. Six years ago, 90% of these people didn't even know Rutgers had a football team. They'll go back to doing what they were doing before.

i think marrone is very happy with the current list of commits that we have,no need to rub their nose in it.

marrone has to much class for that ...at least in public view

besides with over 600,000 fans with in 45 minutes they should sell out the horse shoe stadium that they have

Forget "Class". Now is the time to crush them. They didn't stop calling Ray Rice when P was fired.

Let's give them a little push on the road back to the very small time.

Gotta agree there. Marrone needs to learn a lesson from TGD. Take full advantage of the situation when the opportunity presents itself. You want to get back into New Jersey recruiting? Here is an opportunity.

I almost feel sorry for the Snookies with how desperate their situation is

Your coach isn't winning you any games that could get you noticed.
How's that soft schedule treating you now? After 10 years of smoke and mirrors, you finally realize the only thing your overpriced coach is good at is feeding your fanbase an endless line of bullshit. But you keep buying into it because "we've got another great recruiting class coming in next year". Unfortunately, that one win against Louisville is getting smaller and smaller in the rear-view mirror.

Who are you renovating for?
Your athletic department went into debt to expand your stadium's seating capacity and luxury amenities. But since your team is so godawful, no one is attending your games. This makes your freshly expanded stadium look even more empty.

No one thinks you are a viable addition to their conference.
In 2010 you had your bags packed for the B10. In 2011, you helplessly watch as schools leave your conference. But as you watch them leave, you realize Rutgers isn't even being considered by the A10, much less the B10. Your only hope for a conference affiliation is to bring in Navy, Memphis and UCF under the "Big East" banner.

Its finally starting to sink in that Rutgers is running out of options. No one is knocking at your door.

Keep chopping y'all
don't think gloating is a great idea, we have a looooong season ahead, not looking that great. all this messs is not over with much to come. we need to focus ourselves on ourselves and no one else. let them say what they want ---we need to leave it on the field.

Forget "Class". Now is the time to crush them. They didn't stop calling Ray Rice when P was fired.

Townie, been waiting on your RU take. Turns out you might be a prophet.

tank-crushes-cars_5965.jpg

It doesn't matter what conference they are in. Until they man up and start playing a real schedule, no one is really going to respect them.

I love how such blogs are similar for many schools. They'll claim that "<our school> should bolt to a better conference!" they all fail to realize that the only places that they can unilaterally choose to go to are C-USA and the FCS.

Some of the comments are great. I especially love this one: "If the BCS was like Star Trek, RU would be the Expendible Crew Member killed off in the first 10 mins.". It's refreshing to see that some do "get it".

don't think gloating is a great idea, we have a looooong season ahead, not looking that great. all this messs is not over with much to come. we need to focus ourselves on ourselves and no one else. let them say what they want ---we need to leave it on the field.

This isn't gloating...its stating the obvious. And I couldn't care less if I possibly offend a delusional Rutgers fan.

I love how such blogs are similar for many schools. They'll claim that "<our school> should bolt to a better conference!" they all fail to realize that the only places that they can unilaterally choose to go to are C-USA and the FCS.

Some of the comments are great. I especially love this one: "If the BCS was like Star Trek, RU would be the Expendible Crew Member killed off in the first 10 mins.". It's refreshing to see that some do "get it".

Hmmmm...interesting analogy, that Star Trek crew member was always wearing a red shirt, or maybe it was scarlet....coincidence?

Townie, been waiting on your RU take. Turns out you might be a prophet.

Maybe, Bayside.

I have never guaranteed it, but I do understand the history and the psychology of New Jersey.

Rutgers football has very shallow roots and its an area that will support only winners and only winners on the biggest stage. They can easily slip back. There is no safety net of long time fans. It's a program nobody asked for. It was the brainchild of a few who asked, "Why not here?"

They were drawing 20,000 to see Rutgers play teams like SU with MCNabb and VT with Vick.

The attention they got in 2006 was in large part based on the story line of long time doormat has some success.

You almost have to be trying to be bad to be as bad in as many sports as Rutgers has been over a very long history.

If they don't get in the ACC or te Big Ten they are in real trouble. And they aren't Big Ten material and part of that is cultural. And the ACC bus is probably full.

It would be best if conference re-alignment did stop for a year or two - it really makes SU recruit from a position of strength. I looked on RUs recruiting and they have no one from NY this year and that was before last week SU going to ACC.

Given this year besides J Jones, who from NY with talent is going elsewhere.

Rutgirls fans should actually be excited; perhaps it will give them a couple more wins than they would be getting. No cancel that; their low-rent coach will find a way to even screw that up.

It's hard to imagine Rutgers getting in any time soon, and if they go into the Big 10 they will do worse than Indiana on bad years, maybe just above them on good years. Give other programs a few years to come in and recruit NJ, and they are going to be in deep doo doo. It won't be just SU that benefits from this. Every school in the country that sniffs around is going to be able to say, "listen, son, we play in a real conference and you deserve a big stage." Football coaches in NJ are going to have to look in the mirror and ask themselves if they are really doing a kid a favor by steering them to Rutgers. If they have a bad year, Schiano is going to be in serious jeopardy of losing his job. And if they try to go out and make that hire now, they are going to have to pay someone a lot of money if that want someone that can really make something happen. They are going to have a hard time getting NJ taxpayers to buy that right now. Who knows, though, if Golden could do it at Temple, I guess it can be done just about anywhere.