How badly is Sid hurt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How badly is Sid hurt

I don't think young people today respond well to negative re enforcement. Grampa JB ripped Geno (bye!) and Moyer in recent post game pressers. Even after Moyer lit it up, he had to rip him. Yet went out of his way to kiss up to Frank. "It will never happen again!" Roberson was numb to it last year and it never motivated him. It's less sports psychology and more Jim induldging his cantankerous side..

Last edited:
So you're allowed to be "honest" but Boeheim isn't?

If you can't tell that Moyer's improvement today was a matter of greater effort, then you're oblivious. Was he playing with that tenacity in the other games? Obviously not. Boeheim called him out (in a fairly tame manner). If he's so delicate that he feels that's "ripping" him, we're 'ing doomed anyway.

You do understand that JB is the coach and Iommi is not the coach, right?

So there might be different standards as to "honesty?"

And Moyer's improvement is the result of greater effort? How in the hell would you know that? Oh wait, you wouldn't know that.

I'm just speaking truthfully or what I believe to be the truth. Frank had a terrible game. He didn't hustle back on numerous occasions. Those are not opinions. Well, I guess it's my opinion that he had a horrible game but the facts (stats) back me up on that.

I have been very consistent in my criticism of JB as far as publicly ripping his players. I said it didn't help Roberson. Matt will probably laugh it off but what was gained? That's all I said. JB is gonna JB. I don't have to like everything he does.

As for my criticisms of Frank, I've been fair to him and applauded him when he played well this year (which was pretty much all year). If he ran back on defense tonight when he committed those turnovers, I probably wouldn't have been so pointed in my criticisms. I have no tolerance for players who don't hustle.

In the last football game against BC, a writer on Twitter expressed concern that the SU players were not putting in 100% effort. The writer used a vulgarity and Pete Moore jumped in and said his criticisms were inappropriate (not just the language but also questioning the players' effort).

What is wrong with being honest if you see guys not giving 100%? What's wrong with saying JB shouldn't be ripping his own players? I'm not the coach. I'm not a mouthpiece for the team. I'm opinionated and I don't apologize for it. And I certainly didn't say anything out of line about JB or FH. Not even close. I don't want to see FH throw away the goodwill he's built up by dogging it at there. He did that a few times tonight and it was disconcerting.

This board sometimes.
I agree with u 100 % on the being lazy thing. I cant stand that. Lack of giving a crap and it pisses me off. On the bc game, i shut it off cause not on of hem kids that

How about saying nothing? "Matt had a really good game tonight. We need more of THAT." Message sent without belittling the player.

What good did his comments do? Let the kid enjoy his night without hearing his coach he's trying to be nice by saying he's horrible.

While I agree that JB got carried away with Roberson, as is often the case, one tweet doesn't tell the whole story.

"The story of the game was Matt Moyer had a huge game," SU coach Jim Boeheim had said in his postgame remarks. "He really struggled all year. He got to the offensive boards. He got three offensive rebound basket tips. He was a big difference in the game."

Moyer said Boeheim "told me how he was going to coach me." He expected to hear the same biting comments previous players had endured. He expected to be held to a certain standard. And yes, he expected to be yelled at.

"It's no surprise. Coach has been doing this with guys who are in the pros now," Moyer said. "You can go down the list of all the pros that got it. If they can get it, I can get it. It's no big deal."

"He was a terrific player tonight," Boeheim said, "and I think he can build on this."

You do understand that JB is the coach and Iommi is not the coach, right?

So there might be different standards as to "honesty?"

And Moyer's improvement is the result of greater effort? How in the hell would you know that? Oh wait, you wouldn't know that.

He looked a lot more buffed than I've seen. Maybe the weight room training is paying off.

Iommi, i genuinely do not understand you as a poster sometimes. You shred JB for his comments about Moyer (which were true) but you have a 3 paragraph hot take eviscerating Frank Howard in a public forum. You interview and have relationships with both recruits and current players... did you think twice about your post about Frank or nah? Do you hold yourself to a certain standard as someone connected to the team and players, or are you just “speaking truthfully?”
Iommi is pretty easy to summarize. Loves Sidibe and Howard W. I mean.. over the top with it. Our 7th and 8th guys in a 7 man rotation . Hates Frank. Hates when JB calls out a player.

Luckily for Cuse, Chukwu gets better each game. At least it's our backup who is dinged up.

UCONN's high school sized front line allowed us to let Marek play the 5. Not too many teams left on the schedule where that is optimal and PC is going to be in foul trouble every game.

JB being his supportive self.
This is the thing that upsets me the most about our coach. I pray he was positive and supportive to him in the locker room. Sheesh.

Let's get back to worrying about Sid. If he can't play, teams will just try and make Chukwu foul out. Marek will put in the effort but get eaten alive by real big guys. Not to be hyperbolic, but Sid all the way out could be the difference of 4-5 wins before the year is over. Agree with the guy that said rest him until Georgetown.

Actually, I have now watched the presser, so I saw what JB said in context as well as the tone in which he said it. Doing that, coupled with the quotes from Moyer (whom I did say would likely laugh off JB's criticisms), I don't think what JB said was bad at all. He was laughing with the reporters when he said that, so I think he was just busting Moyer's chops.

Wasn't necessary but Moyer is a big boy and It was JB being unflinchingly honest and funny, though I still think he didn't need to be as harsh at MM as he was.

And as far as what some guys said about me, I think I'm pretty fair here. First off, I don't hate FH. I just wish he were a better teammate last year and had a better attitude last year too. Those are pretty big issues. I'm happy he's turned it around but when I see him not hustling, that's not good. When I see him playing terribly, that's not good.

I took a sort of break from this board for a while but if you follow me on Twitter, you know I've said I'm happy with how FH has been playing. For some people to act like I am unfair to some of our players is unfair to me. I think I have a pretty good track record on here.

Oh, and CuseLifer11, it is not okay to have certain guys on the team I strongly like or root for more than others? And let's see: I love Tyus, Bourama, Oshae, Howard Waahington, Matt and Marek the most our of our top 8 rotation guys. In fact, my favorite player is Tyus, not because he's the best player, but because I've been following him since he was about 14.

It is pretty laughable that I have to make defensive posts like this, considering my contributions to this board.

As I said, this board sometimes.

Let's go Orange!

Let's get back to worrying about Sid. If he can't play, teams will just try and make Chukwu foul out. Marek will put in the effort but get eaten alive by real big guys. Not to be hyperbolic, but Sid all the way out could be the difference of 4-5 wins before the year is over. Agree with the guy that said rest him until Georgetown.

Yeah, I was the guy who said rest him. If his tendinitis is better, maybe the ankle gets better by Georgetown. He wouldn't be running at all with a high ankle sprain, so that could work.

Last edited:
While I agree that JB got carried away with Roberson, as is often the case, one tweet doesn't tell the whole story.

"The story of the game was Matt Moyer had a huge game," SU coach Jim Boeheim had said in his postgame remarks. "He really struggled all year. He got to the offensive boards. He got three offensive rebound basket tips. He was a big difference in the game."

Moyer said Boeheim "told me how he was going to coach me." He expected to hear the same biting comments previous players had endured. He expected to be held to a certain standard. And yes, he expected to be yelled at.

"It's no surprise. Coach has been doing this with guys who are in the pros now," Moyer said. "You can go down the list of all the pros that got it. If they can get it, I can get it. It's no big deal."

"He was a terrific player tonight," Boeheim said, "and I think he can build on this."

Context makes all the difference. Jimmy was fair in his assessment, very positive and Matt is cool with critical comments because he knows what to expect and it works for guys getting paid in the league. None story!

Trust the Process!

I saw the interview and JB wasn't being mean spirited. He was fine.

Actually, I have now watched the presser, so I saw what JB said in context as well as the tone in which he said it. Doing that, coupled with the quotes from Moyer (whom I did say would likely laugh off JB's criticisms), I don't think what JB said was bad at all. He was laughing with the reporters when he said that, so I think he was just busting Moyer's chops.

Wasn't necessary but Moyer is a big boy and It was JB being unflinchingly honest and funny, though I still think he didn't need to be as harsh at MM as he was.

And as far as what some guys said about me, I think I'm pretty fair here. First off, I don't hate FH. I just wish he were a better teammate last year and had a better attitude last year too. Those are pretty big issues. I'm happy he's turned it around but when I see him not hustling, that's not good. When I see him playing terribly, that's not good.

I took a sort of break from this board for a while but if you follow me on Twitter, you know I've said I'm happy with how FH has been playing. For some people to act like I am unfair to some of our players is unfair to me. I think I have a pretty good track record on here.

Oh, and CuseLifer11, it is not okay to have certain guys on the team I strongly like or root for more than others? And let's see: I love Tyus, Bourama, Oshae, Howard Waahington, Matt and Marek the most our of our top 8 rotation guys. In fact, my favorite player is Tyus, not because he's the best player, but because I've been following him since he was about 14.

It is pretty laughable that I have to make defensive posts like this, considering my contributions to this board.

As I said, this board sometimes.

Let's go Orange!
I agree and believe you are one of the most informative reasonable posters. I actually agree with your comments and perspective and Frank over the years does occasionally warrant criticism. JB can also be too harsh at times for me but that may be a dynamic he feels works and is necessary. I will say this about Frank. He really seems to try to be a leader on the floor and is constantly talking and congratulating to consoling players all game. I see his effort to try to maintain his composure more this year and that’s huge Keep up the good work with your posts and know you’re not alone as to your perspective

Yeah, I was the guy who said rest him. If his tendinitis is better, maybe the ankle gets better by Georgetown. He wouldn't be running at all with a high ankle sprain, so that could work.
I'd even go as far as put him on the shelf til ACC - as it sounds like overcoming tendinitis requires several weeks

JB being his supportive self.

If Boeheim was "supportive", people would think senility has set in.

Right, wrong or indifferent, being abrasively blunt is JB's style.

He looked a lot more buffed than I've seen. Maybe the weight room training is paying off.
I was going to say the same thing, but thought I was imagining it.

If Boeheim was "supportive", people would think senility has set in.

Right, wrong or indifferent, being abrasively blunt is JB's style.
That's the interesting thing. We are now seeing how frank has made a tremendous jump from last year to this year, and a lot of us seem to believe much of it is 'confidence' and rhthym-related — not having to fear being jerked to the bench because of one mistake, etc. But no one is speculating on how much sooner frank could have arrived at this confidence level if not for that style of treatment. Simple facts: not everyone responds he same way, regardless of what they were expecting as far as coaching styles.

I know everyone hates ol' JB but I love that comment. There is literally zero argument outside of that. Spew some coach speak, make everyone happy, I'm fine with it. But JB is 100% accurate -- there is no real explanation for Moyer playing out of his mind tonight and there is no adjective for his season up until this point other than putrid. I'm not killing the kid, he just hasn't been good ... at all.

One of my favorite lines from the big lebowski is when the dude says to walter "you're not wrong, you're just an a-hole"

Moyer had been terrible. No reason to say it so bluntly like that to the media.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom