How can we survive if we lose | Syracusefan.com

How can we survive if we lose

dasher

Living Legend
fill in the blank. Teams are funny. What glues them together and makes them good.
In 1974 we lost a great, not good, pt guard in Dennis Duval. Plus Fred Saunders who
played in the NBA. The following year we went to the final 4.
In 1986, we lost Pearl Washington, Raf Addison and Wendel Alexis. What a team. In 1987,
we went to the final 4.
In 1995, we lost Lawrence Moten, all time leading scorer, Mike Lloyd and Luke Jackson. A
couple of double diget scorers. In 1996, we went to the final 4.
In 2002, we lost Preston Shumpert, D Williams, who was a Jr., In 2003, we won the National title.
In 2012, we lost Joseph, Jardine and Waiters. In 2013, we went to the final 4
In 2015, we lost Rak Christmas. In 2016, we went to the final 4.
We can lose the guys that we are going to lose to the portal. Let's have a balanced team. One
that doesn't quit. That plays tough defense. One that can hit an outside shot.

fill in the blank. Teams are funny. What glues them together and makes them good.
In 1974 we lost a great, not good, pt guard in Dennis Duval. Plus Fred Saunders who
In 1986, we lost Pearl Washington, Raf Addison and Wendel Alexis. What a team. In 1987,
we went to the final 4.
In 1995, we lost Lawrence Moten, all time leading scorer, Mike Lloyd and Luke Jackson. A
In 2002, we lost Preston Shumpert, D Williams, who was a Jr., In 2003, we won the National title.
We can lose the guys that we are going to lose to the portal. Let's have a balanced team. One
Yep. Its all about getting guys in here who can score and rebound. One thing we sorely missed this season at times

Only problem is that it’s a money game now, and wasn’t AS MUCH of a money game then

Yep. Its all about getting guys in here who can score and rebound. One thing we sorely missed this season at times
And defend better than Swiss cheese

I really don't think the team is that far from being excellent. Red really showed some things this year, and I think he'll have the resources to round out the pieces we were missing this year. People bemoaning the NIL situation are utterly clueless.

If the center/Forwards could score on post moves we become a much harder team to defend. It can't be only pick n rolls and occasional put backs and nothing else from the 3 bigs on the inside.
Yup. Without at least the threat of a big who can post up and score in the paint, most good defenses are going to be able to limit the things you can do well.

If the center/Forwards could score on post moves we become a much harder team to defend. It can't be only pick n rolls and occasional put backs and nothing else from the 3 bigs on the inside.
Need someone like DC who takes rebounding seriously on both ends of the floor.
He put a lot of pressure on opponents when we shot the ball.
They knew he would be around the rim if we missed, and that helped keep teams from leaking out to fast break.

we went to the final 4.
Great post. Thanks, Dasher, for the perspective.

Add in the 2009 team that won the famous 6-OT game, played in the BET title game and went to the Sweet 16. We lost Flynn, Devo and Harris from that squad. The next year, 2009-10, we were #1 in the country, a #1 seed in the tourney and made the Sweet 16 again and probably would have won a title if not for AO’s injury.

It seems like teams just get hot and play their best basketball at the right time no matter who you lost the previous year or gained for the new year.Its funny how teams just seem to gel at the right time of the year.NC St is a prime example of how it’s just magical and you can do no wrong and things just go your way.Lots of hate for NC St on here but I found them a joy to watch throughout this tournament run.Not sure there is a magical formula but rather team chemistry just appears when most needed.Wolfpack probably used up their magic in the ACC tournament and could easily flame out quick in the big dance but damn I wish the Orange would of had a run like that this year.

Sometimes chemistry requires specific actions off the court to get players to bond.

Remember in movies how players hated each others and no team work all that requires is some sort of a weekend camping trip or a beach volleyball outing and some background music and magically within five minutes a cohesive team is born.

I suggest Red take the entire team to a strip club and work the champagne room and get some team bonding going.

Literally the point of the game. Those 2 things. Everything else is largely secondary to these basic actions.

No one on our team this year are close to as good as Pearl, Motion, or even Rak, Dion etc. This team didn’t sniff the bubble.

The key is who is brought in not as much who we will lose. Go get them Red.

We don’t have a boeheim in his coaching prime to make the adjustments

Red may prove to be a good coach. I think people forget we had a great coach for like 95% of his tenure. This is gonna be choppy for the rest of the decade. Part of it is existential and the sport itself. Part of it is red wiill
Never be as good as JAB

Red may prove to be a good coach. I think people forget we had a great coach for like 95% of his tenure. This is gonna be choppy for the rest of the decade. Part of it is existential and the sport itself. Part of it is red wiill
Never be as good as JAB
Boeheim was losing 13-17 games a year for the past 10 years and also hasn't put together a complete lineup in 10 years (no true center since Rak unless you want to count project guy Jesse who had to be developed, he seemed to love "project centers"). We've seen a lineup of players, each year, playing out of position, and you're going to tell us the 1st guy to come in and deliver the first 20-win regular season in a decade will never be as good as JAB? Ok there.

Boeheim was losing 13-17 games a year for the past 10 years and also hasn't put together a complete lineup in 10 years (no true center since Rak unless you want to count project guy Jesse who had to be developed, he seemed to love "project centers"). We've seen a lineup of players, each year, playing out of position, and you're going to tell us the 1st guy to come in and deliver the first 20-win regular season in a decade will never be as good as JAB? Ok there.
If we go to two final fours again in my life again (I’m 48) I’ll be very happy. I’ll be happy if we go to sweet 16s again.

The team this year wasn’t that good. I’m sorry if you are leaning on this team. Very empty 20 win season.

If we go to two final fours again in my life again (I’m 48) I’ll be very happy. I’ll be happy if we go to sweet 16s again.

The team this year wasn’t that good. I’m sorry if you are leaning on this team. Very empty 20 win season.
I love when the Boeheim apologists cite the 2016 final four as some sort of testament to resounding overall program success. So a 4-game stretch where Malachi and a few other players caught fire is enough for you to basically ignore what has happened over the last 10 years? Yeah we really showed UNC how good we were in Houston didn't we? This has basically been a 50/50 ACC middling program.

Here's a little stat for you to digest regarding your empty 20-win 2023-24 season...

Syracuse went 7-11 in Quads 1 & 2 this year. Last year Syracuse ended 1-12 in Quads 1 & 2. We should bring the 2-3 zone and Boeheim back.

Last edited:

Never be as good as JAB
You and the countless other JB defenders on this board turn a blind eye to facts. Not sure how old you are but JB was not the popular figure you make him out to be. he had many detractors through the years. In fact, until Carmelo bailed him out in 03 he was routinely panned as a guy that just rolls the ball out. His image got better after the NAT. He was a good coach with a unique scheme that worked until it didn't. for 30 years he feasted on cupcakes like the B12 did this year. It was a different era in the 80s-early 2000s. When the game changed we stunk. Nepo babies killed the program. These are facts. What I've seen of Red tells me he has the stuff, especially with this NIL-entitled whiney group of me-first players.

I want a tough team, mentally and physically. Up in your face defense. Banging down low for rebounds. I want teams to be like “oh sh*&t we gotta play these guys tonight”. Think Paul Harris even if he wasn’t a perfect fit for our system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom