How do we feel about our Special Teams coach!? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

How do we feel about our Special Teams coach!?

Well, we have allowed four blocked kicks and two blocked punts.

In five games.

Both dead last in NCAA.

Nothing to sugarcoat it

I cannot stand the rationale of playing starters on special teams to enhance to appeal to the NFL. I would prefer we focus on winning games now.

It is unconscionable to me that Gadsden would NOT be off the field on 2nd and 20, but would be on the field to be the adjuster for punt team. Foolish to not have Gadsden in the field for almost every offensive snap.

Using Petry and Mang as personal protectors is a bad decision. Neither has the lateral mobility to be affective nor the speed to get down field after ball is kicked. Besides that, both are going to be tired following an offensive series.

Our kickoff return team is bad. Why can’t the returner figure out when to put up the iron cross or fair catch the ball? We seem to be experimenting with new returners every week and many are true freshmen who lack the experience to make good decisions in games. It’s doesn’t have to be that complicated, fair catch the kick and start the possession at the 25 yard line.

We have played five games and every week there’s a new adventure on special teams. We should be settling in a getting better, instead we are still trying to figure out how not to beat ourselves.

The most frustrating part for me is how good could we be with a few adjustments?

- Fire Vollono.
- Put the o-line coach on notice
- Leave Gadsden on the field and stop running him on curls and hitches. He’s a hybrid TE let him run crossing routes. He ran one last night for a big gain.
- Can we stop giving WR’s a ten yard cushion?

Go Orange!
This was the first game I watched live and we do seem to run an unusually high number of guys, especially at tight end, on and off the field between plays.

Why we don't just park Gadsden out there I don't understand.

I cannot stand the rationale of playing starters on special teams to enhance to appeal to the NFL. I would prefer we focus on winning games now.

It is unconscionable to me that Gadsden would NOT be off the field on 2nd and 20, but would be on the field to be the adjuster for punt team. Foolish to not have Gadsden in the field for almost every offensive snap.

Using Petry and Mang as personal protectors is a bad decision. Neither has the lateral mobility to be affective nor the speed to get down field after ball is kicked. Besides that, both are going to be tired following an offensive series.

Our kickoff return team is bad. Why can’t the returner figure out when to put up the iron cross or fair catch the ball? We seem to be experimenting with new returners every week and many are true freshmen who lack the experience to make good decisions in games. It’s doesn’t have to be that complicated, fair catch the kick and start the possession at the 25 yard line.

We have played five games and every week there’s a new adventure on special teams. We should be settling in a getting better, instead we are still trying to figure out how not to beat ourselves.

The most frustrating part for me is how good could we be with a few adjustments?

- Fire Vollono.
- Put the o-line coach on notice
- Leave Gadsden on the field and stop running him on curls and hitches. He’s a hybrid TE let him run crossing routes. He ran one last night for a big gain.
- Can we stop giving WR’s a ten yard cushion?

Go Orange!
A-freaking-men to your last point.

About our special teams couch? Three simple words...

1728165871657.gif

We clearly need a change in ST. The blocking scheme with gaps all over the line is too hard for the players to figure out who they are supposed to block, and obviously miss multiple players. If the scheme is too hard to figure out, then we have to simplify it to get something that works! The ST is thinking too hard. If it is not obvious that a change is needed now, it will never be.

- punt blocking
- kicking (kicker change made)
- punt coverage
- kick returning (some bad decisions on when to return, vs let it go).
- etc

Counting on Fran to make it right !

LGO!

I said last night I was thrilled about the win but want the special teams coach fired. But Fran showed a lot of class last night in the press conference on how the coach has a family and overall showed a lot of sensitivity to the situation. I trust Fran to make the right decision either way and at a time he feels right. For now, let’s just hope the special teams hit rock bottom and we improve week to week in that department.

I don't believe this for one second.

What is the second word of DART? Accountability isn't let's all hold his hand and figure it out. The dude has a job, he is the worst at his profession at it, if you can't hold the staff accountable then how can you expect that from the players?

Dude is over his head, he needed to go after the last game and if we lost this game they should've gave strapped him to the goal post and waited for the Raiders staff to release him.
I agree but that family line during post game was telling I think.

This was the first game I watched live and we do seem to run an unusually high number of guys, especially at tight end, on and off the field between plays.

Why we don't just park Gadsden out there I don't understand.
I do not understand that at all. Vallari and mang should never see the field.

I do not understand that at all. Vallari and mang should never see the field.
Villari they use kind of weird. I don't really get it.

Mang, I felt like they're definitely setting something up. They started him in the slot a bunch and then motioned him in. UNLV didn't even bother having a guy follow him to the slot, they just kept everyone in the box knowing Mang eventually would come over.

At some point, we're going to have numbers to that side and we'll pop a quick pass to the wideout and Mang will bury the DB.

Or maybe whiff on the block, who knows. But the play will be there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom