How does a college kid... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How does a college kid...

I believe it's Jerome Smith who drives a new camaro? That cost a hell of a lot more than 10k. I don't get the surprise by students who drive nice cars. There are a lot of different ways legally that it can be done. And 99% of people have no clue of a players families finances.

Selling used on Autotrader for $10k. That's a reasonable vehicle. Its not like he's cruising in a $70k Audi...
maybe I didn't look hard enough...but what year and options did he have?

but I did look

This is one of the cars I had for a while in college. Gas was inexpensive. Biggest back seat in the history of Detroit.

Im almost positive Hakim Warrick had a Chrysler 300 his senior year...

Whatever it was, he used to park in front of Shaw Hall, 1/2 the time with it still running.

We bought Alec a Jeep Cherokee at the end of his freshman year - easy trade when you think about it. The Jeep, insurance, and gas money for 3 plus years was still less than a year's tuition. We had the same deal with all of our kids - get a full ride, we take care of the car.

He's still driving it in Houston - Rob Moore told him if he shows back up in Syracuse driving a new car he'd kick his butt ;)
Absolutely. I had a family member who went to college on a full athletic scholarship also. Except for some extra curricular food and beverage, he didn't have to spend one dime in four years. I love how people jump to conclusions about these things.

Absolutely. I had a family member who went to college on a full athletic scholarship also. Except for some extra curricular food and beverage, he didn't have to spend one dime in four years. I love how people jump to conclusions about these things.
I put a limit on it - told him I'd go as much as $25k, but if he went the full limit, then he'd have to take care of the insurance and gas and oil changes (which I knew he wasn't going to be able to afford). In the end, his jeep was around $15k and he was able to drive it all he wanted.

Of course, he had very little money for anything else. It's why I'm all for a stipend for student athletes - not pay, but pocket money...

Even if his parents did not pay for it, banks will provide loans to high profile athletes with no income based on future projected earnings. 2 reasons: 1) when they get their big paychecks they assume they will get paid back and 2) they want to give them their first loan so they will come back when they need more loans/mortgages.

and I am sure the interest rates are in the double digits.

EJ came from a pretty wealthy background from what I was told.

Ah, well that would make sense then. That dude was terrifying in that thing on South, especially when it snowed.

I saw Spurrier give a quick soundbite on the 2nd ticket earlier today. He knows that after the bowl game Clowney's not his problem anymore, so he don't give a fluck.

Just saw this thread...I figured I'd chime in for my first car...

When I was a Senior in high school and was getting sick of driving my mom's mini-van around, I started working at my Varsity Football Coach's Law Firm. Ended up buying a 1987 Chevy Celebrity. They don't make those anymore, that's for sure. When I bought it in 2004, the car had 40K miles and not a spot of rust on it. The car was an absolute tank and was to this day the best car i've driven in snow. I was sad when I totaled it in an accident my first year in grad school. I still miss it to this day.

You're welcome for my contribution to this thread.

with the #3 pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Oakland Raiders select DE Jadaveon Clowney from the University of South Carolina

Car Dealership probably gave it to him for free with a "wink-n-nod" in return when he turns pro he will be doing commercials for thus car dealership