How does a guy like Ja Morant fall through the crack. And why can't we get that lucky. | Syracusefan.com

How does a guy like Ja Morant fall through the crack. And why can't we get that lucky.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Damian Lillard is another one. Hard to believe we can't get a stud point guard.

worse than missing out on players that are on nobodys radar are the misevaluations on the ones that we do get. big miss on joseph, up and down career from frank, and while the jury is still out, rough start for jalen.

worse than missing out on players that are on nobodys radar are the misevaluations on the ones that we do get. big miss on joseph, up and down career from frank, and while the jury is still out, rough start for jalen.
We weren't the only major college recruiting those guys. Kaleb just never developed. Frank has been hit or miss and Carey might still be the real deal next season.

We weren't the only major college recruiting those guys. Kaleb just never developed. Frank has been hit or miss and Carey might still be the real deal next season.
staffs job to make proper evaluations regardless of what anybody else is doing and regardless of players ranking.

How is this for an all mid major team (obviously not all point guards): Kawhi Leonard, Steph Curry, Damian Lillard, Paul George, Gordie Hayward, CJ McCollum, Paul MIllsap, George Hill, Kent Bazemore.

Ranking the mid-major players in the NBA Playoffs

Great job in finding three more PGs that have fallen through the cracks over the past decade plus.

Shame on Syracuse for not having the binoculars to have gotten any of these three players when assessing the 9,000 recruits during this span.

An occasional player slips through most everyone's radar every few years. The guy for Murray St found Morant on the back court of an AAU event while looking for a snack. And Ja ended up with offers from other, bigger D1 schools, too.

It's actually pretty surprising how accurately kids are identified when schools are dealing with a couple of thousand prospective recruits every season.

Yeah, the SI article I read about Morant mentioned he got a late offer from South Carolina.

I mean we’ve grabbed guys like Dion and MCW very early when they were hardly recruited right?

How is this for an all mid major team (obviously not all point guards): Kawhi Leonard, Steph Curry, Damian Lillard, Paul George, Gordie Hayward, CJ McCollum, Paul MIllsap, George Hill, Kent Bazemore.

Steph Curry is an astounding case that no one could've foreseen. He was a very slight of build HS player that is the epitome of late bloomer growing 5 inches or so late in his senior year to frosh at college. He played here in Charlotte and basically went to the only school that offered a D1 scholly in Davidson, a northern Mecklenburg County suburb. We lived up at Lake Norman at the time and about 10-15 minutes from the Davidson campus. I caught a few of his games, along with my young son. His senior year was spectacular as was that run Davidson had to the Elite 8. Even being drafted at #7, no one projected him to be what he is today...the greatest shooter that the game has ever seen.

Last edited:

Doesn’t this mean that not just SU but all the other big time programs missed out on these players too? Many of the same programs watch the same big time AAU teams with the same well publicized players all playing against each other. Prestigious AAU team invites and head to head results, I would think mainly establishes the pecking order of players and their rankings for the big time programs following them. Probably percentage wise, that selective system works but since current evaluations can’t necessarily accurately predict potential future player development and growth, it seems more than reasonable there would be misses.

Steph Curry is an astounding case that no one could've foreseen. He was a very slight of build HS player that is the epitome of late bloomer growing 5 inches or so late in his senior year to frosh at college. He played here in Charlotte and basically went to the only school that offered a D1 scholly in Davidson, a northern Mecklenburg County suburb. We lived up at Lake Norman at the time and about 10-15 minutes from the Davidson campus. I caught a few of his games, along with my young. His senior year was spectacular as was that run Davidson had to the Elite 8. Even being drafted at #7, no one projected him to be what he is today...the greatest shooter that the game has ever seen.

Between the late growth spurt, and weighing 140 lbs dripping wet, and then having ankles that seemed to be constructed of balsa wood and wet toilet paper early in his career, it is understandable how Curry was “missed”.

I’m still pissed we “missed” on Jimmer.
... you know, in spite of already having signed Jonny AND Scoop in his same class.
;)

Steph Curry is an astounding case that no one could've foreseen. He was a very slight of build HS player that is the epitome of late bloomer growing 5 inches or so late in his senior year to frosh at college. He played here in Charlotte and basically went to the only school that offered a D1 scholly in Davidson, a northern Mecklenburg County suburb. We lived up at Lake Norman at the time and about 10-15 minutes from the Davidson campus. I caught a few of his games, along with my young. His senior year was spectacular as was that run Davidson had to the Elite 8. Even being drafted at #7, no one projected him to be what he is today...the greatest shooter that the game has ever seen.
Not to mention, there were plenty of people in the Warriors organization that preferred Monta Ellis over Steph at the time, and were not happy when Monta left to clear up the playing time for Steph. So it shows that you never know when kids start realizing their full potential.

Doesn’t this mean that not just SU but all the other big time programs missed out on these players too? Many of the same programs watch the same big time AAU teams with the same well publicized players all playing against each other. Prestigious AAU team invites and head to head results, I would think mainly establishes the pecking order of players and their rankings for the big time programs following them. Probably percentage wise, that selective system works but since current evaluations can’t necessarily accurately predict potential future player development and growth, it seems more than reasonable there would be misses.
Yes that was my point. It wasn't bashing our staff but how do these guys not get major college offers and become all stars or lottery picks. Some of them become really good at at least one thing, like a Kyle Korver and some are just all around great. But not one high major recruits them. Ja Morant is the real deal. Was there more to the story or did his hs or AAU coach not do a good job selling him.

Does the staff bashing end? I'm critical of them as well, but no one saw this coming. He was shorter and had a smaller build when he got his offer.

I mean we’ve grabbed guys like Dion and MCW very early when they were hardly recruited right?

Hopefully someday we’ll be saying Goodine’s name in that list, because we were on him pretty early too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom