How does a typical Syracuse basketball practice run? | Syracusefan.com

How does a typical Syracuse basketball practice run?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I have asked this before but it honestly doesn’t look like we practice anything?
The offense looks the same every game.
The defense looks the same every game.
We run the same out of bounds set every game.
Does the team do film study?
Do they practice the pick and roll?
These questions are legitimate and that is sad.
What do we do in practice to develop the players?
Hop used to run the practices that is known. Does JB do more since Hop left or is Autry filling those shoes more?

They mostly show up right at practice time. Sneakers not even on yet. Usually Chukwu wanders in a few minutes late. He takes the side door so nobody will notice, but Jimmy always catches him and shakes his head and laughs with a cheery comment like “Chew-key! You did it again! Haha!”

Then they lollygag threw some half speed layup lines.

Then every guy on the team stands around the lane while one guy shoots a FT. If he makes it, they all clap and slap their legs in unison. Then the next guy shoots. So on and so forth.

Then they break down into position groups, led by the assistant coaches while Jimmy takes a nap. All 3 groups practice ball handling, contested jumpers, and step back 3’s.

After this, Boeheim rolls the balls out and they scrimmage for about an hour.

Conditioning concludes practice as they all hang from pull-up bars, trying to improve their length.

Day over.

Last edited:
They mostly show up right at practice time. Sneakers not even on yet. Usually Chukwu wanders in a few minutes late. He takes the side door so nobody will notice, but Jimmy always catches him and shakes his head and laughs with a cheery comment like “Chew-key! You did it again! Haha!”

Then every guy on the team stands around the lane while one guy shoots a FT. If he makes it, they all clap and slap their legs in unison. Then the next guy shoots. So on and so forth.

Then they break down into position groups, led by the assistant coaches while Jimmy takes a nap. All 3 groups practice ball handling, contested jumpers, and step back 3’s.

Conditioning concludes practice as they all hang from pull-up bars, trying to improve their length.

Day over.
Sad thing is my post wasn’t even a joke.
I really don’t know what the heck the practices do to improve the team.
Where have we seen any changes other than Howard coming back.
We don’t change the offense or defense.
So what are we doing?
Don’t tell me we have high basketball IQ that is the stuff practice is supposed to improve.
I will link when I have time what Mark Titus said about his encounter with the Syracuse starters in 2008 when we played Ohio State in the NIT in NYC.

Sad thing is my post wasn’t even a joke.
I really don’t know what the heck the practices do to improve the team.
Where have we seen any changes other than Howard coming back.
We don’t change the offense or defense.
So what are we doing?
Don’t tell me we have high basketball IQ that is the stuff practice is supposed to improve.
I will link when I have time what Mark Titus said about his encounter with the Syracuse starters in 2008 when we played Ohio State in the NIT in NYC.

I’m joking to keep from crying.

On a serious note, there was a pretty detailed sports illustrated article on how the SU program ran maybe at the beginning of this decade when everything was really rolling, that included descriptions of practice if I recall.

I’m joking to keep from crying.

On a serious note, there was a pretty detailed sports illustrated article on how the SU program ran maybe at the beginning of this decade when everything was really rolling, that included descriptions of practice if I recall.

Yes not to call him out, but RF has done some detailed posts over the years on how practices are run.

I have asked this before but it honestly doesn’t look like we practice anything?
The offense looks the same every game.
The defense looks the same every game.
We run the same out of bounds set every game.
Does the team do film study?
Do they practice the pick and roll?
These questions are legitimate and that is sad.
What do we do in practice to develop the players?
Hop used to run the practices that is known. Does JB do more since Hop left or is Autry filling those shoes more?

Here is a post that RF did that outlines a typical practice

Practice- what is the general structure?

142290BE-A5EE-4820-A239-8A89D1261B37.jpeg

Zone and UCLA layup drills. Doesnt seem the layups are working out either.

Yes not to call him out, but RF has done some detailed posts over the years on how practices are run.
Exactly. I would suspect JB's practices are still pretty much the same as he has described. We seem to have this thread every season.

Respectfully Al, these questions are not legitimate. Practices are highly structured, detailed, and filmed.

Exactly. Whether we like the W-L or not, it’s a big time D1 program. Not HS. Silly to think we run some half ass paractice. People really need to stop their H0T Takes on anything and everything SU basketball.

This should be tacked to the top as it was very detailed information packed.
just must've missed it (and others thru the years offering similar details) before, huh?

Exactly. Whether we like the W-L or not, it’s a big time D1 program. Not HS. Silly to think we run some half ass paractice. People really need to stop their H0T Takes on anything and everything SU basketball.
We have played unwatchable brand of basketball games for 4+ years where we have been mediocre in the regular season.
If you don’t get the frustration that is your right. Our offense has been a joke for a while and we have done very little differently. This isn’t 2009-2014 where we were top 4 seeds in the tournament and people were bitching for style points. Our brand of basketball is ugly. That deserves the criticism it gets.

just must've missed it (and others thru the years offering similar details) before, huh?
Yawn you are not worth it. Yeah I am complaining about stuff that clearly is not problematic. I am sorry I don’t like the ugly product our brand of basketball has become.
Take the shots at me my points are closer to the truth than you attacking me helps the problem.
Here is a solution if you don’t want to read my post time after time put me on block.
You are nowhere near the credible poster RF2044 is.

Yawn you are not worth it. Yeah I am complaining about stuff that clearly is not problematic. I am sorry I don’t like the ugly product our brand of basketball has become.
Take the shots at me my points are closer to the truth than you attacking me helps the problem.
Here is a solution if you don’t want to read my post time after time put me on block.
You are nowhere near the credible poster RF2044 is.
So you're acknowledging this thread, and the questions of your OP, are without merit? Great!

So you're acknowledging this thread, and the questions of your OP, are without merit? Great!
I say this with no respect at all Go Away.
You make threads personal. I don’t. I am not going to continue in a pissing match which clearly you like to do with me. I don’t care about your posts.
I literally have no need to say anymore.

Day over.
No Duck-Duck-Goose?

I say this with no respect at all Go Away.
You make threads personal. I don’t.
I literally have no need to say anymore.
Hey just make sure to keep creating these crucial, fully substantiated threads!

Hey just make sure to keep creating these crucial, fully substantiated threads!
I can tell you this nothing you say will stop me from doing what I want.
However I know I am in your head as you respond to my stuff. I just ignore your useless stuff which aren’t in my
Threads.

I can tell you this nothing you say will stop me from doing what I want.
However I know I am in your head as you respond to my stuff. I just ignore your useless stuff which aren’t in my
Threads.
awww :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom