How does a typical Syracuse basketball practice run? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How does a typical Syracuse basketball practice run?

Seems like a legit question if you remove your personal, defensive implication that job has the kids running around playing capture the flag while he naps. I’d be interested in knowing if a coach like Buzz or Hurley are a bit more focused on continuing development of simple skills than Jb who might take certain things for granted because we supppsedly have higher rated kids coming in. Or whether other practices have a more or less intense atmosphere, etc. It’s hard to get a sense of what the staff’s ‘practice personality’ is like. I know some teams are ‘drill sargent-ish’ and some are more casual. Some coaches yell scream and berate and some are more encouraging.

Those here who deny the validity of the question are a bit sensitive. Doesn’t help that much to say we do 3-on-3 drills and then the one coach takes the guards and the other works with bigs and jb supervises and blah, blah, blah. What about the nuanced differences that maybe make us different?

Hey just make sure to keep creating these crucial, fully substantiated threads!
Indeed. I would be lost without a steady dose of redundant, rambling stream of consciousness posts on the state of the program.

We have played unwatchable brand of basketball games for 4+ years where we have been mediocre in the regular season.
If you don’t get the frustration that is your right. Our offense has been a joke for a while and we have done very little differently. This isn’t 2009-2014 where we were top 4 seeds in the tournament and people were bitching for style points. Our brand of basketball is ugly. That deserves the criticism it gets.

What does this post have to do with your OP and even moreso with some of the replies?

What does this post have to do with your OP and even moreso with some of the replies?
It was a response to your post.
The thread went off the rails because two posters don’t like me and want to take shots at me and I responding back.
Instead of them putting me on block it ruined the thread.

ZING
How many games have you won as coach?
Your just another spoiled fan looking let their frustrations out on the internet and not grateful for the run we have had.
That would definitely be part of it as well.

How many games have you won as coach?
Your just another spoiled fan looking let their frustrations out on the internet and not grateful for the run we have had.
That would definitely be part of it as well.

This is who we are until Buddy Boeheim graduates. If you embrace it it’s not as painful.

It was a response to your post.
The thread went off the rails because two posters don’t like me and want to take shots at me and I responding back.
Instead of them putting me on block it ruined the thread.
So put them on ignore.

So put them on ignore.
I don’t start but I gotta learn to not take the bait. That is my problem but I consider the other side more of the problem for starting it in the first place.
Nothing bothers me more when it’s the person being debated rather than what is being said.

I asked this last year (my thread was pasted in here) because I genuinely wanted to know. I didnt post it for redundancy.

If townie came in and busted skulls we would find that a lot of them were empty.
I think it’s funny that when we struggle there are questions about whether we practice. But no such discussions occur when we head to the Final Four or knock off MSU.

I think it’s funny that when we struggle there are questions about whether we practice. But no such discussions occur when we head to the Final Four or knock off MSU.
We beat Michigan State 55-53 in a game they shot 26% for the entire game. That is what you call an outlier win.
If you think that covers up for the fact we don’t run an offense outside of ISO ball or chucking up 3’s and we don’t look like we practice offense then fine.
These tournament runs are masking the fact our offense has been poor and we don’t play smart IQ basketball.
We all want to win games so why complain when we win. These concerns are valid.

What's "funny" about that? Human nature. You're eating a good piece of sausage, you're not thinking about how it was made or if it's spoiled. You just enjoy it. If it tastes bad or makes you sick, you probably start to examine those sorts of matters.

This question has been asked because we have 36 wins and 36 losses in the ACC the past 4 years.
That's not a small sample size. That's not 'Orange-esque.' Even if you want to blame "sanctions," the teams we are playing still don't have recruits as highly-ranked as we have had, and don't look so 'clueless' in their offensive schemes, and don't have players who seem inept at basic skills. That's why the question is asked.

This is who we are until Buddy Boeheim graduates. If you embrace it it’s not as painful.
That'is it in a nutshell, and a good reminder. I'm on record that JB's end - like all coaches of his age - will not be smooth or successful, but it is what it is at this point, and we just have to ride it out. Good or bad and I hope I'm wrong but i think it's going to be the latter.

What's "funny" about that? Human nature. You're eating a good piece of sausage, you're not thinking about how it was made or if it's spoiled. You just enjoy it. If it tastes bad or makes you sick, you probably start to examine those sorts of matters.

This question has been asked because we have 36 wins and 36 losses in the ACC the past 4 years.
That's not a small sample size. That's not 'Orange-esque.' Even if you want to blame "sanctions," the teams we are playing still don't have recruits as highly-ranked as we have had, and don't look so 'clueless' in their offensive schemes, and don't have players who seem inept at basic skills. That's why the question is asked.
I think a discussion about the quality of player is legitimate. I think discussions about schemes and personnel are legtimatr. I think discussions about whether JB stopped holding practices after 39 years of not being questioned in that regard are stupid

I think a discussion about the quality of player is legitimate. I think discussions about schemes and personnel are legtimatr. I think discussions about whether JB stopped holding practices after 39 years of not being questioned in that regard are stupid
Who said/implied he "stopped holding practices?"
I thought the question/s were more in line with:
• Why don't we have more offensive sets? JB has said in the past that we have (much) fewer plays than other teams 'because our kids can't remember them' or some such nonsense.
• Why don't we have post players capable of catching the ball. Or executing simple dropsteps or jump hooks, etc. We see schlubs at D2 schools doing it. We see high schoolers doing it. Why aren't we learning and developing those skills?
• Why aren't we encouraging Brissett, for example, to play inside-out instead of outside-outside.
• Why do we still think bringing Chukwu up to the top of the key is a valid offensive strategy. Is that actually working in practice? Who's falling for that?

I don't even know what you might mean by "JB stopped holding practices." Do you mean that JB is just sitting in his office or napping while Red and GMac run things? When was that suggested?

Personally, i have a completely foundationless impression of the 'tone' of our practices. That sorta coincides with JB's personality. I have a completely different impression of practices conducted by certain other coaches. I hope our practices are 'high energy,' but i kinda don't feel like they are. As i said—no real basis for that thought. But, i think others probably feel the same way, and maybe that colors the commentary.

Who said/implied he "stopped holding practices?"
I thought the question/s were more in line with:
• Why don't we have more offensive sets? JB has said in the past that we have (much) fewer plays than other teams 'because our kids can't remember them' or some such nonsense.
• Why don't we have post players capable of catching the ball. Or executing simple dropsteps or jump hooks, etc. We see schlubs at D2 schools doing it. We see high schoolers doing it. Why aren't we learning and developing those skills?
• Why aren't we encouraging Brissett, for example, to play inside-out instead of outside-outside.
• Why do we still think bringing Chukwu up to the top of the key is a valid offensive strategy. Is that actually working in practice? Who's falling for that?

I don't even know what you might mean by "JB stopped holding practices." Do you mean that JB is just sitting in his office or napping while Red and GMac run things? When was that suggested?

Personally, i have a completely foundationless impression of the 'tone' of our practices. That sorta coincides with JB's personality. I have a completely different impression of practices conducted by certain other coaches. I hope our practices are 'high energy,' but i kinda don't feel like they are. As i said—no real basis for that thought. But, i think others probably feel the same way, and maybe that colors the commentary.
Read the first sentence of the OP. It’s the entire inference and premise

Read the first sentence of the OP. It’s the entire inference and premise
Come on, man. Seriously? You took that entirely literally?
I can't even.

Alsacs, please chime in to clarify—with exacting precision—just what you meant by your OP first sentence. Minus all hyperbole and loss-related emotion.

Come on, man. Seriously? You took that entirely literally?
I can't even.
Yeah the same drivel gets repeated on here constantly. We made one of 14 three pointers in the first half against Georgetown. About 13 of those were wide open and we got that position by running our offense. But because the result was not positive it was a failure of the offense. Makes no sense.

Yeah the same drivel gets repeated on here constantly. We made one of 14 three pointers in the first half against Georgetown. About 13 of those were wide open and we got that position by running our offense. But because the result was not positive it was a failure of the offense. Makes no sense.
Even if your “13 wide open” stat is accurate, you’re still only talking about one half of basketball. If you’ve been watching us over the past few years, surely you have seen the reasons why so many of us are frustrated with the O. If you’ve been in game threads, you’ve seen the very real and very valid criticisms in real time. Those aren’t less credible or worthy of discussion because we may have sporadically moved the ball around in a half or two.

You should also have noted that many of us have observed more ball movement of late.

Whatever. I still don’t understand why anyone is so sensitive about criticism. Whether it’s “consistent” or not. It’s not “drivel” any more than some posters’ constant criticism of the criticism. Or of the apologist angle. Or the JB as god/genius angle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom