How does Mike Brey keep his job? | Syracusefan.com

How does Mike Brey keep his job?

Rocco

Watching you.
Just wondering. He really hasn't accomplished anything with the Irish. ND getting blown out by WF right now.

cuz it's 100% about touchdown jesus in south bend and anything else they happen to get is pure gravy

Just wondering. He really hasn't accomplished anything with the Irish. ND getting blown out by WF right now.

He'll probably be ACC COY next year. He won it like 4 times in the BE.

The Notre Dame women's basketball team is outdrawing its men's basketball team. I don't see how Brey comes back next year.

I actually think he overachieves quite often. This year, the loss of Grant killed them. Nothing he really could have done.

What do they ever do in the postseason? ND has insane amounts of resources, yet seem to always be mediocre with the exception of a few above average years.

What do they ever do in the postseason? ND has insane amounts of resources, yet seem to always be mediocre with the exception of a few above average years.

Most of his teams have no business making the post season. The fact they got there was a success in itself.

I actually think he overachieves quite often. This year, the loss of Grant killed them. Nothing he really could have done.

The Grant loss was really awful and for a really bad reason.

you know who else has insane resources? alabama, usc, lsu, florida state, etc. how are their basketball programs? resources equates less with success in basketball than any other sport. i think he overachieved forever in the big east. his teams had no business hanging with us, georgetown, lville, et al but they always did. look at where brey stands on career wins in the big east.

you know who else has insane resources? alabama, usc, lsu, florida state, etc. how are their basketball programs? resources equates less with success in basketball than any other sport. i think he overachieved forever in the big east. his teams had no business hanging with us, georgetown, lville, et al but they always did. look at where brey stands on career wins in the big east.

Those schools don't care about basketball, they put all of their resources into football.

It's a strange case of overachieving in the regular season, but then severely underachieving in the post season. imo post season is all that maters. You almost can make a deep run on accident, something ND hasn't done

So that makes it ok? Just surprises me that they settle for mediocrity in the 2nd most popular collegiate sport.

Most of his teams have no business making the post season. The fact they got there was a success in itself.

I think this is overstated. The ND talent level over the past decade hasn't been that low. It's not Syracuse level, but it's probably right there with the Pittsburghs of the world. Since 2001, for example, ND has had 8 guys who went on to get at least a cup of coffee in the NBA; Pitt has had 6. (Syracuse has had 17). This year's team, before Grant's suspension, was pretty talented - probably as talented as any team in the conference other than Duke, UNC, SU, and maybe UVa.

Brey is a perfectly mediocre coach. That would be fine if he hadn't inexplicably won BE COY three times in a conference that included Jim Boeheim, Rick Pitino, Jim Calhoun, Bob Huggins, and a handful of not-yet-legends-but-still-very-good coaches (Wright, Thompson, Buzz Williams, even Dixon).

If Grant is back next year they should be pretty good. Top 25 material.

So that makes it ok? Just surprises me that they settle for mediocrity in the 2nd most popular collegiate sport.
between 1990 and 2000, ND went to 1 ncaa tourney
Since he got there in in 2000, they've been to 9

he's over indexing their place on the basketball food chain by A LOT.

You need to consider the opportunity cost of dropping him. history says the guy who replaces him will not be nearly as good. Who are you going to bring in? Top tier coaches (e.g., Smart) aren't taking that job because they have much better options. You wanna bet that the guy at Robert Morris or American is gonna be better? How about a retread? I don't get the logic.

Brey at Notre Dame: 14 years, 9 NCAATs, 6-9 record, one Sweet Sixteen - considering it's ND and not some A10 school, that isn't even close to being good.

edit: since their season is over I've changed the 13 to 14.

Last edited:
Brey at Notre Dame: 13 years, 9 NCAATs, 6-9 record, one Sweet Sixteen - considering it's ND and not some A10 school, that isn't even close to being good.
Is there a better 13 year stretch in nd history? I think the point is "considering it's notre dame, that's better than anyone could expect.

Who's coming to notre dame to coach them and do better? Name somebody.

Matt Daugherty and John McLeod are both out of work if they might be better options!

Timonen said:
Is there a better 13 year stretch in nd history? I think the point is "considering it's notre dame, that's better than anyone could expect. Who's coming to notre dame to coach them and do better? Name somebody. Matt Daugherty and John McLeod are both out of work if they might be better options!
FWIW, Doherty is a scout for the Pacers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom