How does Mike Brey keep his job? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How does Mike Brey keep his job?

I get that Grant was a huge loss for them but that team still has talent. They just mailed it in today. Really poor on their part. I don't think Brey is in any trouble though.

Who's coming to notre dame to coach them and do better? Name somebody.

They've got a lot of money, they could hire a better coach. Off the top of my head, a few quality coaches who "might" be interested:

Brad Stevens
Richard Pitino
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright

Brad Stevens isnt leaving the Celtics for Notre Dame. The other guys? No idea, maybe.

Pitino was coaching at FIU last year; not exactly like he was an obvious candidate the last few yars

They lose one player and the team ends up screwing the pooch?
Brey deserves to be fired ASAP.

Brad Stevens isnt leaving the Celtics for Notre Dame. The other guys? No idea, maybe.

Pitino was coaching at FIU last year; not exactly like he was an obvious candidate the last few yars

Stevens could very well wind up at IU eventually. Yes, Pitino doesn't have much experience with only one year at Minnesota but it was a solid year.

I don't think ND would ever get rid of Brey, he has been an improvement over the previous coaches after Digger Phelps but his NCAAT record just isn't good. A school like St Bonaventure I'm sure would be very happy with it.

They've got a lot of money, they could hire a better coach. Off the top of my head, a few quality coaches who "might" be interested:

Brad Stevens
Richard Pitino
Gregg Marshall
Jay Wright
I say this respectfully. With a gun to their head, none of those guys are going to notre dame. Brad Stevens would leave the celtics? Pitino has had one average year at minny. That makes him better than brey? Hell, minny is his jumping-off school. Why would he move laterally? Jay wright could name his school if he ever wanted to leave...and there are top 10 jobs open every year. Why? Marshall has a final four and an undefeated season. Again, why?

Retreads like Steve Alford get jobs like ucla! Why would anybody established take over nd? They'd have to hire someone like brey. Big success at lower levels. 5 of those guys flame out every year. They have a good coach who wants to be there and gets them to the tourney 2/3 years. They would be morons to switch from that for an unknown.

I say this respectfully. With a gun to their head, none of those guys are going to notre dame. Brad Stevens would leave the celtics? Pitino has had one average year at minny. That makes him better than brey? Hell, minny is his jumping-off school. Why would he move laterally? Jay wright could name his school if he ever wanted to leave...and there are top 10 jobs open every year. Why? Marshall has a final four and an undefeated season. Again, why?

Retreads like Steve Alford get jobs like ucla! Why would anybody established take over nd? They'd have to hire someone like brey. Big success at lower levels. 5 of those guys flame out every year. They have a good coach who wants to be there and gets them to the tourney 2/3 years. They would be morons to switch from that for an unknown.

Making 1 Sweet 16 in 13 years is acceptable and worthy of keeping your job? That is a joke IMO. There are better coaches out there... I think you're going slightly overboard with the "retread" talk. I'm not going to sit here and name candidates either.

Maybe my level of expectations for ND Basketball is lower. They aren't good this year but they are normally middle of the road make the tourney every few years. He used to win Big East COY all the time, probably because he has a bunch of white kids. I bet he has won it more than Boeheim. I feel like recruiting to these football schools for basketball or vice versa is pretty tough.

they had a really good team couple years ago when ben hansbrough was a senior. i remember i had them going far in the tourny and they got waxed in the 2nd round.

edit: just looked it up. it was 2011, they finished 25-5 in regular season 14-4 in big east. got a 2 seed in tourny and lost by 14 in 2nd round to florida st.

Making 1 Sweet 16 in 13 years is acceptable and worthy of keeping your job? That is a joke IMO. There are better coaches out there... I think you're going slightly overboard with the "retread" talk. I'm not going to sit here and name candidates either.
It's just a math issue and understanding the market. Last year Alford took ucla and Chris Collins took northwestern. Little pitino took minny. Minny and northwestern are in the ballpark of nd as far as attractiveness goes. The Alford types will take better jobs (so pitino, the Nebraska guy,etc are out because they can get better jobs). So who fits that mold? A guy like Andy toole at Robert Morris? A guy like wojo at Duke? Are you willing to drop a guy like brey will get you 20 wins 2/3 seasons for those types of guys? I wouldn't risk that in a million years.

Stevens - If he has another losing season next year would the Celtics get rid of him? I have no idea but if they did and ND contacted him I think he would at least listen to them.

Pitino - He had a good year. A lateral move? I think ND has more potential than Minnesota and if they offered him more money he would be interested. I also think he'd prefer coaching ND in the ACC than where he is now.

Marshall - Considering the schools where he's coached, he's done quite well. Making the Final Four coaching a mid-major is impressive, let's see what they do in the tourney this year. Making the NCAAT at Winthrop 7 of the 9 years he was there is darn good too. In 2007 Winthrop actually beat ND in the first round.

Wright - I would think he would be interested if ND came calling with more money and a more prestigious job in a better conference.

This is a moot point of course, ND isn't going to get rid of him.

Stevens - If he has another losing season next year would the Celtics get rid of him? I have no idea but if they did and ND contacted him I think he would at least listen to them.

Pitino - He had a good year. A lateral move? I think ND has more potential than Minnesota and if they offered him more money he would be interested. I also think he'd prefer coaching ND in the ACC than where he is now.

Marshall - Considering the schools where he's coached, he's done quite well. Making the Final Four coaching a mid-major is impressive, let's see what they do in the tourney this year. Making the NCAAT at Winthrop 7 of the 9 years he was there is darn good too. In 2007 Winthrop actually beat ND in the first round.

Wright - I would think he would be interested if ND came calling with more money and a more prestigious job in a better conference.

This is a moot point of course, ND isn't going to get rid of him.

How is Notre Dame, with its one final four and zero trips past the sweet sixteen since 1979 a more prestigious job than Villanova?

Brey has done more with Notre Dame basketball than anyone not named Digger Phelps

Up until now Nova has been the better program to coach no question but I think going forward conference realignment has elevated ND and downgraded Nova. I think the majority of coaches, if given the choice to coach either one, would choose to coach the Irish.

And yes, Brey is the best since Digger.

I think this is overstated. The ND talent level over the past decade hasn't been that low. It's not Syracuse level, but it's probably right there with the Pittsburghs of the world. Since 2001, for example, ND has had 8 guys who went on to get at least a cup of coffee in the NBA; Pitt has had 6. (Syracuse has had 17). This year's team, before Grant's suspension, was pretty talented - probably as talented as any team in the conference other than Duke, UNC, SU, and maybe UVa.

Brey is a perfectly mediocre coach. That would be fine if he hadn't inexplicably won BE COY three times in a conference that included Jim Boeheim, Rick Pitino, Jim Calhoun, Bob Huggins, and a handful of not-yet-legends-but-still-very-good coaches (Wright, Thompson, Buzz Williams, even Dixon).
Generally speaking, ND was over-represented on the awards dais during their tenure in the BE. In addition to all of Bret's COY honors, ND players won POY 5 times. As a comparison, SU players won the award 4 times, even though the Orange were in the league 16 more seasons, and finished ahead of ND much more often than they finished behind the Domers. Wonder if that was part of the deal Tranghese made to get his "special" deal with ND football?:confused:

I think this is overstated. The ND talent level over the past decade hasn't been that low. It's not Syracuse level, but it's probably right there with the Pittsburghs of the world. Since 2001, for example, ND has had 8 guys who went on to get at least a cup of coffee in the NBA; Pitt has had 6. (Syracuse has had 17). This year's team, before Grant's suspension, was pretty talented - probably as talented as any team in the conference other than Duke, UNC, SU, and maybe UVa.

Brey is a perfectly mediocre coach. That would be fine if he hadn't inexplicably won BE COY three times in a conference that included Jim Boeheim, Rick Pitino, Jim Calhoun, Bob Huggins, and a handful of not-yet-legends-but-still-very-good coaches (Wright, Thompson, Buzz Williams, even Dixon).
Generally speaking, ND was over-represented on the awards dais during their tenure in the BE. In addition to all of Brey's COY honors, ND players won POY 5 times. As a comparison, SU players won the award 4 times, even though the Orange were in the league 16 more seasons, and finished ahead of ND much more often than they finished behind the Domers. Wonder if that was part of the deal Tranghese made to get his "special" deal with ND football?:confused:

I think I read here that their basketball facilities are really bad. Any truth to this?

Academic standards. Inability to redshirt.

Eh, that's exaggerated a little. Stanford...they have legit standards. A couple others as well.

Stevens could very well wind up at IU eventually. Yes, Pitino doesn't have much experience with only one year at Minnesota but it was a solid year.

I don't think ND would ever get rid of Brey, he has been an improvement over the previous coaches after Digger Phelps but his NCAAT record just isn't good. A school like St Bonaventure I'm sure would be very happy with it.

Stevens could wind up at IU at some point, or Duke, or whatever. I have no idea. But he's in the first year of a 6 year deal with Boston; I don't think he's going anywhere in the next 3 years.

And Pitino is just finishing his first year at Minnestoa.

Brey seems like a decent coach, nothing more. So I am not saying he's fantastic. It's also possible that at ND, since they are such a football school, they're happy with a coach like Brey, who seemingly (someone will pull up stats to make me wrong) graduates his players and has solid teams most of the time.

??? - Stevens is actually winning too much this year; this year has always been all about the lottery

Up until now Nova has been the better program to coach no question but I think going forward conference realignment has elevated ND and downgraded Nova. I think the majority of coaches, if given the choice to coach either one, would choose to coach the Irish.

And yes, Brey is the best since Digger.

I think ND has more upside, it just seems no one is willing to put the resources into basketball that they do in football. It'd be like coaching at Alabama.

I think I read here that their basketball facilities are really bad. Any truth to this?

I think that was true but they're in the midst of an upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom