How does the disintegration of PAC 12 impact | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How does the disintegration of PAC 12 impact

The SEC and B1G wanted a 12 team playoff. The PAC 12 and ACC voted to kill that and keep the current 4 team set up. So the SEC and B1G are killing off the PAC 12 and ACC. They will get their 12 team playoff. More teams will leave the PAC for B1G (Oregon, Washington). Have to believe the SEC has designs on Clemson for sure maybe FSU or Miami. The remnants of the PAC, Big 12, ACC will reconfigure but will be subordinate to the SEC & B1G super conferences. With a 12 team playoff, ND will remain independent.
Supporting a 4 team playoff over 12 is so baffling i can’t comprehend it

I'm fine if we aren't part of the imminent super conference(s) for football. I think the end game is football breaking away from the NCAA and the overall structure of basketball remaining the same. Just some weird conference alignment because of what will happen with football.

We will never compete at the highest level in football. Play in whatever the second tier ends up being there and go back to the Big East for everything else. The basketball program would be fine long term and the football program can compete with smaller state and private schools if that is how things end up.
I would much rather watch Syracuse football compete at a high level against opponents like Villanova, Georgetown, and UConn than get boat raced by Clemson in perpetuity

Supporting a 4 team playoff over 12 is so baffling i can’t comprehend it
Because--Sankey and Swarbrick steered the committee to protect their constituencies. A 12-team playoff practically guarantees a slot for ND, and 3 to 4 for the SEC. So, Notre Dame gets to maintain their football independence, and the SEC gets to increase its monetary dominance over PAC, Big XII, and ACC.

Because--Sankey and Swarbrick steered the committee to protect their constituencies. A 12-team playoff practically guarantees a slot for ND, and 3 to 4 for the SEC. So, Notre Dame gets to maintain their football independence, and the SEC gets to increase its monetary dominance over PAC, Big XII, and ACC.
Greg Robinson beat ND in South Bend so I would push back at the idea they would be a yearly lock.

As for the SEC B10 income inequality, I don’t know how you could consider equalizing that a possibility. If anything, your best option would be to scale up and increase the pot instead of competing for the percentage of it.

A 12 team playoff would help the smaller conferences if anything. Six (seven?) conference champ AQs, and six (five?) at large bids.

Regional conferences get a larger piece of pie even if the larger conferences keep their larger percent.

Media money would get the ACC a slice of an 18” pizza when they’re currently getting a 12” slice. Making the pizza larger should be more important than trying to stop the SEC from getting a second slice.

SEC AQ
BIG10 AQ
PAC 12 AQ
BIG XII AQ
ACC AQ
AAC AQ
MWC AQ
at large (x5)

Greg Robinson beat ND in South Bend so I would push back at the idea they would be a yearly lock.

As for the SEC B10 income inequality, I don’t know how you could consider equalizing that a possibility. If anything, your best option would be to scale up and increase the pot instead of competing for the percentage of it.

A 12 team playoff would help the smaller conferences if anything. Six (seven?) conference champ AQs, and six (five?) at large bids.

Regional conferences get a larger piece of pie even if the larger conferences keep their larger percent.

Media money would get the ACC a slice of an 18” pizza when they’re currently getting a 12” slice. Making the pizza larger should be more important than trying to stop the SEC from getting a second slice.

SEC AQ
BIG10 AQ
PAC 12 AQ
BIG XII AQ
ACC AQ
AAC AQ
MWC AQ
at large (x5)

It's not about any of this anymore.

This is a steel cage death match between ESPN and FOX Sports.

They are the reason all of this is happening, and why certain conferences have gotten so far ahead of the others in revenue.

I would much rather watch Syracuse football compete at a high level against opponents like Villanova, Georgetown, and UConn than get boat raced by Clemson in perpetuity
Really? I understand that point but in most cases I don't buy it. I believe if we drop our schedule to include a lot of low level teams our building will be empty. If we are left out of the big boy table when the dust settles we will truly see who are fans of SU football and who aren't, and I think there are many more of the latter, possibly even me depending on the price point.

Really? I understand that point but in most cases I don't buy it. I believe if we drop our schedule to include a lot of low level teams our building will be empty. If we are left out of the big boy table when the dust settles we will truly see who are fans of SU football and who aren't, and I think there are many more of the latter, possibly even me depending on the price point.
i’m a Virginian and JMU was my backup option after SU. I went to their football and hoops camps with my HS teams, so I’ve loosely followed their program for nothing else than just liking them.

In the last decade they’ve had playoff games and 10 win seasons. even if you include the Eric Dungey’s senior season, cuse is averaging like 4.5-5 wins a year over that span. What JMU has got looks a lot more fun to follow in my opinion.

Do we realistically think Cuse would ever have a chance of making the CFP? Getting ranked in the teens seems to be their ceiling. I personally think it would be more fun to follow a program that’s incredibly competitive even if they’re not competing at the highest level.

The lost revenue in scaling down would hurt, but i think in the long run it could work out.

It’s preference, but give me a 10-2 team that doesn’t participate in the playoff over a 3-10 team that could

i’m a Virginian and JMU was my backup option after SU. I went to their football and hoops camps with my HS teams, so I’ve loosely followed their program for nothing else than just liking them.

In the last decade they’ve had playoff games and 10 win seasons. even if you include the Eric Dungey’s senior season, cuse is averaging like 4.5-5 wins a year over that span. What JMU has got looks a lot more fun to follow in my opinion.

Do we realistically think Cuse would ever have a chance of making the CFP? Getting ranked in the teens seems to be their ceiling. I personally think it would be more fun to follow a program that’s incredibly competitive even if they’re not competing at the highest level.

The lost revenue in scaling down would hurt, but i think in the long run it could work out.

It’s preference, but give me a 10-2 team that doesn’t participate in the playoff over a 3-10 team that could
We were legitimately less than 5 snaps away from an ACC title bid and an opportunity at the CFP in 2018. The clemson and pitt losses.

Excellent points and I get it - I think geography helps JMU culture wise. I know I was at Colgate when they beat JMU and though a nice crowd (probably the biggest I've seen at Colgate in years), it probably would have filled one side of the Dome's lower bowl.

I personally love watching the lower levels - I just don't think SU would attract that many diehards.

Definitely true, but we have won 11 games in the three seasons since that
True. But it cannot be said that Syracuse will never make a CFP under the current format.

Timing and execution. The ACC was down in 2018, it’ll be down again. Unfortunately we just didn’t get the 1 extra win.

Excellent points and I get it - I think geography helps JMU culture wise. I know I was at Colgate when they beat JMU and though a nice crowd (probably the biggest I've seen at Colgate in years), it probably would have filled one side of the Dome's lower bowl.

I personally love watching the lower levels - I just don't think SU would attract that many diehards.
you make a great point about geography, NY just does not have the talent pool of PA, NJ, VA, MD, NC and those sates are on a tier below the south and CA.

I’m more optimistic about their ability to sell tickets but it’s definitely important to consider. SU being the only show in town helps draw a base audience, and I think winning consistently would bring people in. I could be wrong about this, but I also think a rival like UCONN or GTown would be more exciting to the local fans than Wake Forest or Duke.

True. But it cannot be said that Syracuse will never make a CFP under the current format.

Timing and execution. The ACC was down in 2018, it’ll be down again. Unfortunately we just didn’t get the 1 extra win.
Anything is possible but i’m not optimistic

This may sound crazy, strike that, it is crazy, but at this point we need to go all in on basketball, our football is a dead brand and it’s been dead for awhile. At the end of the day, UNC, Duke, and countless other schools are not going to have homes, we need to band together with these schools and at least get some piece of a pie.
Actually it's not that crazy if you think it terms of probabilities

There are plenty posters more on top of all the various headlines and outcomes, but if you look at it in this simple way it makes sense - *just spitballing probabilities here

60%- shuffling puts us in a worse place in all sports
25% - stays roughly the same
15% - better place

If there is a way to remain top tier in basketball, and mid-major like in football, maybe that's the most realistic best case scenario.

I still think we strive for those better outcomes, but don't be too slow to adapt if the chips don't fall the right way. It's sad to go down that road but need to be realistic too.

You’re nuts. SU football is dead without a chance to compete.

With the departure of Clemson, FSU, Miami, and N Carolina; Louisville?, Virginia?, the ACC and Big East merge, forming a North and South division for hoops.

Brings in an interesting question when looking at the big east, aac, pac and big 12.

What media market(s) will right our ship should/when FSU, Miami and Clemson leave? Im still not quite sold on UNC and UVA.

Houston?
San Diego?
Seattle?
Philly?
Tampa Bay/Orlando?

It all comes down to money and tv value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom