How does Virginia rebuild so quickly and we can’t | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How does Virginia rebuild so quickly and we can’t

There are people here who wouldn’t want Hurley coaching Syracuse.

But it also shows that if Wildhack and the administration actually cared about the program that we’d be relevant fairly quickly.
Ehhh. He still hasn’t won a tournament game yet and it’s year 5. I’d expect a quicker rebuild than what’s been done there so far. Look at Tommy Lloyd.

We are going on year 9 of not being a top 25 team. Virginia went 21-14 and to the NIT last year. They are now a top 10 team the next year. We are taking so long to rebuild. It’s a question for Coach Boeheim. College basketball doesn’t seem like it should take that long to rebuild.
Lived in Charlottesville for a 6 years and went to and/or watched lot of their games. He’s got all his starters back. So in short a very experienced team. He added a really good 2022 class but also key portal transfers. Recruiting/player retention - The Charlottesville community and fan base love UVA basketball and Tony Bennett and so do recruits and their parents. He’s a HC who takes the time it appears to personally recruit and build actual personal relationships with recruits. He’s younger but has lots of experience. He’s always positive, a fiery competitor but always under control, builds players and their confidence up, has learned to let them play through mistakes rather than pull them immediately, corrects players one on on and doesn’t publicly tear them apart during games or shame them on the court much less in post game press conferences. Kids WANT to play for a coach like that. Playing style has been criticized as boring, too slow and methodical but from what I hear he has sped things up compared to the past. Lots of movement and screening on offense. No players standing around watching other players go one on one/two/three or playing hero ball. Team basketball looking for the best shot even if it takes five passes. But biggest focus is on defense. Coach Bennett says defense travels. Offense may be up or down but kids can always play defense because its all heart determination communication and teamwork. Play tough man to man with pride and don’t worry about other team’s offensive. Scout opponents players tendencies and defend to take their strengths away or at least make going to those strengths more difficult

Why would any top 20 recruit want to come to Syracuse after the Buddy/Jimmy debacle years? It was slowdown slow motion one on one basketball. Kids want to get out and run and shoot. Like a poster said we haven't been a top 25 team for almost a decade. If I'm a recruit watching a game or on TV viewing a dour coach constantly berating his players during the game and throwing them under the bus after the game press conferences - I'd turn my attention to a more positive program. JB loves coaching and that just might be the issue. He loves it so much that he doesn't ever want to leave it at our cost. Couple that with his stubborn attitude with the zone, playing only 5-6 players - among other areas and we are stuck with him. He could go unchecked coaching another 5 years and here we are. It's amazing what he did for a long time. But for ten years running not so much. If we're pinning our hopes that someone once in awhile might carry us deep into the tourney like Buddy did that one year - keep the masses happy - well that may not happen again...

Idk how did we rebuild so quickly between 1970-2015 every year?

We recruited well, we had competent assistants, we had talent, we had energy in the program, we had a head coach that wasn’t getting out coached by mid majors, we played an up and down style of basketball, we had a great defense.

None of which we have anymore lol
All of this can be fixed, problem is Boeheim needs to retire. He’s over stayed his welcome, he’s overstayed it for years now. The game has passed him by. Syracuse is still a REALLY solid job. Obviously not as lucrative as a few years back. But you still have the facilities, tradition, alumni base, decent recruiting area. Coaches will want the job, Wildhack needs to go outside the family.

Last thing I will say. Assuming Boeheim is politely forced out after this season. I think we have enough freshman talent, and with the the transfer portal and hoping Mintz comes back next year, you’ll only have one proven player back (possibly Benny, Bell and Hima) that talented players in the portal would want to come here with a new coach. It should be a very quick rebuild

Idk how did we rebuild so quickly between 1970-2015 every year?

We recruited well, we had competent assistants, we had talent, we had energy in the program, we had a head coach that wasn’t getting out coached by mid majors, we played an up and down style of basketball, we had a great defense.

None of which we have anymore lol
All of this can be fixed, problem is Boeheim needs to retire. He’s over stayed his welcome, he’s overstayed it for years now. The game has passed him by. Syracuse is still a REALLY solid job. Obviously not as lucrative as a few years back. But you still have the facilities, tradition, alumni base, decent recruiting area. Coaches will want the job, Wildhack needs to go outside the family.

Last thing I will say. Assuming Boeheim is politely forced out after this season. I think we have enough freshman talent, and with the the transfer portal and hoping Mintz comes back next year, you’ll only have one proven player back (possibly Benny, Bell and Hima) that talented players in the portal would want to come here with a new coach. It should be a very quick rebuild
I would say it could be a quick rebuild. There's no guarantee the next guy will get it right. It's possible for us to get worse. Regardless, the bandaid has to be ripped off at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom