How Elmore fits | Syracusefan.com

How Elmore fits

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
So one thing that I think is getting lost a little after the win last night is that we ran the ball so effectively without having Elmore in there.

That seems like a pretty big deal.

Hopefully it also means that we get a bit stronger/better running the ball with Elmore on the field. I have to imagine he plays pretty prominently into our red zone packages.

But one thing that I suspect is that a lot of what has been designed for Shrader is Elmore dependent. There's a good chance the reason why we didn't see more Shrader out there is because Elmore was a no go. I have no inside info, it just would make sense - Rhino is a big part of our running game, Shrader is our running QB, ergo if Rhino can't play it's not putting Shrader into a position to be the most successful, therefore we see a lot more of the more broadly experienced guy in DeVito.

Just my hunch.

Tommy played pretty well yesterday. He did miss on some stuff. It happens. I think we need Shrader to stay positive and ready though.

So one thing that I think is getting lost a little after the win last night is that we ran the ball so effectively without having Elmore in there.

Hopefully it also means that we get a bit stronger/better running the ball with Elmore on the field. I have to imagine he plays pretty prominently into our red zone packages.

But one thing that I suspect is that a lot of what has been designed for Shrader is Elmore dependent. There's a good chance the reason why we didn't see more Shrader out there is because Elmore was a no go. I have no inside info, it just would make sense - Rhino is a big part of our running game, Shrader is our running QB, ergo if Rhino can't play it's not putting Shrader into a position to be the most successful, therefore we see a lot more of the more broadly experienced guy in DeVito.

Just my hunch.

Tommy played pretty well yesterday. He did miss on some stuff. It happens. I think we need Shrader to stay positive and ready though.
I think he’s an asset for both QBs and Dino and Gilbert absolutely have plans to play Shrader. The lack of possessions, the dominance of our RB/OL and Tommy’s ability to run mitigated the need to play him. I don’t think that will be true in most games going fwd.*

* Only caveat is if TD settles in to a kind of trust with the OL where he really starts slinging it and approaches his ceiling. Unlikely, but higher % after game 1.

Just my hunch.

We only had 7 possessions on O.

THAT is why Shredder didn’t get more series - there weren’t any more to give him.

BOTH teams ran the ball a lot, and well, so the clock seldom stopped.

Also - Max Mang did an outstanding job in Rhino’s absence. His seal block on Tucker’s TD was a thing of beauty, and he had many other great blocks too.

I have no doubt we’ll see more of Garrett in future games - as early as next weekend.
Whether Rhino plays or not - but we’d certainly prefer him playing!!

THAT is why Shredder didn’t get more series - there weren’t any more to give him.

Also - Max Mang did an outstanding job in Rhino’s absence. His seal block on Tucker’s TD was a thing of beauty, and he had many other great blocks too.

I have no doubt we’ll see more of Garrett in future games - as early as next weekend.
Certainly the limited number of possessions played a part.

Just my hunch.

We have a blocking tight end in Mang, did you watch, he has what seems to be quick feet. He gets out to the defender, before they can react. That's why on Tommy's TD, he sealed 2 defenders by himself. Would like money to watch the film on him, seems to enjoy himself.

We have a blocking tight end in Mang, did you watch, he has what seems to be quick feet. He gets out to the defender, before they can react. That's why on Tommy's TD, he sealed 2 defenders by himself. Would like money to watch the film on him, seems to enjoy himself.
Yeah, Mang made a big difference.

But Mang isn't used in exactly the same ways Elmore is.

Yeah, Mang made a big difference.

But Mang isn't used in exactly the same ways Elmore is.
Actually that is who Mang filled in for most of the time. He was definitely in the h-back role. There were some traditional two te sets, how many were for him anyways, how many would have seen Elmore in-line is impossible to say from here.

one thing is when they really want to go power, sub Mang in for Benson

I believe that Mang is a more versitile weapon than Rhino. Hes 6 7 and moves much better than Rhino his ability to slip past the line in the redzone is something that opposing coaches will have to take into account. This opens up a ton of possible plays that we dont have with Rhino

I am trying to figure out why Rhino was out? Can’t be Covid since he traveled and was all around the team. Unless he broke team rules after they arrived in Ohio it can’t be disciplinary because he wouldn’t have traveled. Get him and Davis back and this offense could start to cook

Heard a rumor that Rhino is out for year? He was practicing this week as far as we know, hopefully was just dinged up but not sure why he would travel if hurt?

I believe that Mang is a more versitile weapon than Rhino. Hes 6 7 and moves much better than Rhino his ability to slip past the line in the redzone is something that opposing coaches will have to take into account. This opens up a ton of possible plays that we dont have with Rhino
Haven’t seen slimmed down Rhino yet, but either way 2 guys like that are better than none

I agree. Good points

Mang is the next Elmore. He did a solid job filling in. We are gonna need him to step up now that Elmore is going to be out another few games. I imagine Mang is the better catcher. Maybe they design some stuff for him.
Well, let's see what happens when the big German gets the rock.

Just my hunch.

Good post. That's an interesting point.

It isn't that he didn't get more series it is that he got zero series outside of garbage time. If you are planning on playing 2 QBs and the gameplan is to feed Tucker, what is the risk in putting Shrader in the 3rd drive of each half? That is typically how coaches will integrate the 2nd QB. The kid played against SEC teams I am sure he could have handled playing vs Ohio up 9-3 in the 2nd Q and 15-6 in the 3rd Q.

If you are only planning on playing one QB (which I have no problem with), then it makes sense. But if you plan on using both why would you not want to get both prepped for future games?

It isn't that he didn't get more series it is that he got zero series outside of garbage time. If you are planning on playing 2 QBs and the gameplan is to feed Tucker, what is the risk in putting Shrader in the 3rd drive of each half? That is typically how coaches will integrate the 2nd QB. The kid played against SEC teams I am sure he could have handled playing vs Ohio up 9-3 in the 2nd Q and 15-6 in the 3rd Q.

If you are only planning on playing one QB (which I have no problem with), then it makes sense. But if you plan on using both why would you not want to get both prepped for future games?
Dino says a lot of things, he doesn't mean. I'll believe he will play Schrader when he actually does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom