How good are Morris and MacFarlane really? | Syracusefan.com

How good are Morris and MacFarlane really?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Last year I think we were all pleasantly surprised by how well Smith and Gulley worked out as a tandem, and AAM had some nice moments too.

That said, I've believed all along that our best talent in the backfield was the youngest, and have high hopes for both Morris and MacFarlane. After the spring practices, it sounds like Morris will be hard to keep off the field, and MacFarlane has been more productive and exciting than others expected.

I'm really interested to see how the playing time shakes out. Normally I'd say Morris and MacFarlane are both a year away since the upper classmen ahead of them are so well established, but... this is a new staff on the offensive side of the ball. The same attachments might not be there anymore, and I have a hunch Morris is going to see a good chunk of carries and MacFarlane will catch a lot of passes.

Jerome is a nice running back, but I believe last year's success on the ground was more a product of our best OL in years than of our skill at the RB position. From what I saw at the spring game, Morris is our most talented RB already. McFarlane looked really good too.

Morris will be impossible to keep off the field, and it will be a test of our new OC's creativity to see if he can get a good amount of reps for McFarlane and Broyld also. As a side note, now that we are using the fullback again, why don't we move AMM there? Maybe he's not a good enough blocker?

Jerome is a nice running back, but I believe last year's success on the ground was more a product of our best OL in years than of our skill at the RB position. From what I saw at the spring game, Morris is our most talented RB already. McFarlane looked really good too.

Morris will be impossible to keep off the field, and it will be a test of our new OC's creativity to see if he can get a good amount of reps for McFarlane and Broyld also. As a side note, now that we are using the fullback again, why don't we move AMM there? Maybe he's not a good enough blocker?

Yeah, we were probably a little spoiled last year with that OL. That's not to say this year's won't be good, but last year's was special once Pugh was back and Trudo was established at RG.

Sounds like Morris won't be able to stay off the field. His biggest hurdles to overcome, as is always the case with the younger guys, will be holding onto the football and picking up his blocking assignments. Look forward to seeing him run though. Normally when a guy runs for over 200 yards in a bowl game and he's returning, that's all you can talk about. A good "problem" to have.

I'm not saying the young RB's are going to be special but I've heard Adrian Peterson watches film on George Morris and Devante MacFarlane to try and improve his game and Bo Jackson wishes he could use them instead of himself in Tecmo :noidea:

As a side note, now that we are using the fullback again, why don't we move AMM there? Maybe he's not a good enough blocker?
Are we really using a full back, or are we just putting two halfbacks in the backfield?

Smith will remain #1 and get his carries. After that, it's anyones guess.

Sent using my Commodore 64

All I know is that it is nice to be able to have this discussion. "How are we going to get all these talented guys on the field?" Just awesome.

Absolutely a great thing. Having options, good options, is a coaches dream.

Sent using my Commodore 64

All I know is that it is nice to be able to have this discussion. "How are we going to get all these talented guys on the field?" Just awesome.
I think they all represent real options too. It's not like when we say "how are we going to get all these guys on the field?" and we're only asking the question because we have a bunch of guys on scholarship at one position that aren't distinguishing themselves.

I think we'll run a quick enough tempo that we'll see RB's get 50+ touches per game and a QB only throwing to WR/TE's maybe 20. Rome will get around 20 carries, and the rest can split the other 30+ whether it be carries or screen passes. Smith 20 carries/PTG15 (some as catches)/Morris 10/ MacFarlane 5-10 (some as catches)/ AAM 0-5 carries but alot of PT as fullback. Broyld can plug in at RB/QB(wild otto)/slot wr and te to get a fair amount of playing time.

I think we'll run a quick enough tempo that we'll see RB's get 50+ touches per game and a QB only throwing to WR/TE's maybe 20. Rome will get around 20 carries, and the rest can split the other 30+ whether it be carries or screen passes. Smith 20 carries/PTG15 (some as catches)/Morris 10/ MacFarlane 5-10 (some as catches)/ AAM 0-5 carries but alot of PT as fullback. Broyld can plug in at RB/QB(wild otto)/slot wr and te to get a fair amount of playing time.
Just so this doesn't get lost ImperialOrange just dubbed the offensive set with Broyld at QB the "Wild Otto."

And to that I say "Dance, round man! Dance!"

Just so this doesn't get lost ImperialOrange just dubbed the offensive set with Broyld at QB the "Wild Otto."

And to that I say "Dance, round man! Dance!"

Do we even have a name for it? I know we called it the stallion when Dougie Fresh took over but thought that term had since been lost.

I don't get why we'd run the "wild otto" when we have a running QB as our current starter...

We do. It's called the "Wild Otto."

Fair enough. I've found photo evidence of what it will do to opposing defenses as well
images

I don't get why we'd run the "wild otto" when we have a running QB as our current starter...

Perhaps to keep our starting QB from getting destroyed if we run it? Nice change up to have as well. Broyld comes in, other team expects run, chuck it deep.

Not sure if we'll run it or not. Just trying to find ways to get our weapons on the field.

Because why the Hell not, bnoro?

I am digging the Wild Otto reference.

War Damn Wild Otto!

Its good to have to many options but if you want to know who falls where on the depth chart you need to look at pass blocking. Smith and PTG will be the starters because they know where and who to block. I'm not saying Morris and Mcfarlane don't know how to passblock but a missed pass rusher could get your QB hurt and I'm sure coachs will always pick a more experianced guy because of that.

Its good to have to many options but if you want to know who falls where on the depth chart you need to look at pass blocking. Smith and PTG will be the starters because they know where and who to block. I'm not saying Morris and Mcfarlane don't know how to passblock but a missed pass rusher could get your QB hurt and I'm sure coachs will always pick a more experianced guy because of that.
Eh. Talented young running backs play all the time. Let's put them on the field.

because our starter is not going to be Hunt.
who's it going to be, a kid that's not on campus yet that doesn't know our playbook and has never started a college game? Looks like it might be pretty even right now...

If we can run the offense and get 75-80+ plays a game there will be no problem spreading the ball around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom