How important is this season? | Syracusefan.com

How important is this season?

Cuseology

Walk On
We think of Cuse as being one of the name schools in college hoops. A significant part of that was SU's place as a leader in the best college basketball conference in America. With the move to the ACC, what happens if we finish as a mid-pack team? For that matter, if we finish below the top 3 or 4?

I know one year does not a reputation make, but does this upcoming season feel more important than most? Does the team need to set a tone in the new conference? Defend the Dome and make sure the reputation carries forward of how tough it is to play there?

It seems that this year could be one of those really important ones regarding building, or continuing, the national reputation.

It's going to be different for sure. The team has not seen most of the ACC courts before. It's not going to be like going to a Big East court that at least some of the players are familiar with. These are going to be more like OOC games where the comfort zone is not quite the same. We'll see some losses that weren't expected. Of course the same is true for the ACC teams coming to the Dome which Cuseology rightly says must be strongly defended.

I've given this a lot of thought. I honestly think that the sudden influx of big east teams (SU, pitt, ND, ville) will be harder on the acc teams than those teams making the transition into the acc. Syracuse and crew are used to the big east where every year there are multiple top teams in conference whether it be Syracuse, ville, georgetown, pitt, uconn, marquette, etc.

Outside of a fluke Miami team this year, the ACC has been a two horse race for the past few years. Immediately, the big east influx will knock some acc teams down in the pecking order. Also, it will make the road for the usual unc and duke number 1 seed much more difficult.

Also, the new big east teams have seen every style of play possible. I am not sure how the acc is going to react to slow, drag it out teams like pitt and notre dame, or physical teams like Louisville.

Maybe not so much in the larger picture, but after finishing outside the top-four in the last Big East year and racking up double-digit losses, it'd be nice to return to the pace of the previous three seasons.

And it's also important to strike while the iron is hot as far as taking advantage of a group of teams unfamiliar with our style of play. They'll figure us out eventually (see: Pitino, Dixon, Buzz, even Young John), so we might as well go 17-1 this year while they're still baffled by the zone (and, hopefully, our up-tempo offense).

I think the tempo and less physical style will help us as will the unfamiliarity with our defense by the PLAYERS. We may not be as good defensively this year as last (likely the case) but the ACC may make it look like we are better. I envision a lot of shots with plenty of time left on the clock because they are used to a slightly faster tempo. Our guys will not need to play excellent D as long and it will be against players not as prepared to attack the zone. That said I also expect few boarderline calls to go our way on the road in ACC play the first season. Its a good year to be so deep (other than PG) because the refs will not be overly kind to us in our inaguaral vitits to ACC arenas.
Some good some bad and much will have to do with how good Ennis is and how well our perimeter guys shoot. DC2 being an offensive force would also be huge and he showed signs but we need to see it regularly against big time competition and he needs to pick it up on D if he is to get any minutes.

I think most rational ACC fans, particularly Duke and UNC fans since they're the only teams worth a damn, recognize SU (and Louisville) as a perennial national powerhouse that will be in contention for winning the league each year. I think the ACC-elitists ( some Duke and UNC fans) would love to see SU finish 5th or something behind Virginia in the first year, but honestly, how would that be possible?

From a recruiting standpoint, if SU can compete with and beat arguably the two most prestigious programs in the country regularly, that is huge. Duke and UNC have more to lose than SU, in my opinion. Most people already think SU is below Duke and UNC so if we finish below them in the league or lose head-to-head, nothing is lost. If we beat them or win the league, it will turn a lot of heads and SU will get the recognition it deserves. SU has to totally crap the bed to lose any ground on the national stage.

Maybe not so much in the larger picture, but after finishing outside the top-four in the last Big East year and racking up double-digit losses, it'd be nice to return to the pace of the previous three seasons.
quote]
Man, you make it sound like SU had an unsuccessful season! Double diget loses? Well yeah 10 is double diget but take into account that 2 of those loses were in the Finals of the BET and in the FINAL FOUR! Hardly difficult loses to sustain. With those double diget loses came 30 victories. And making the FF was something those 3 previous SU teams did not do. As for ACC teams figuring out SU, the one thing those coaches you mentioned had that many of the ACC teams don't is talent and lastly, it's not like that those coaches figured out SU overnight. It did take a while. To me the biggest question on entering the ACC is how the games will be called. This will effect SU less than Pitt/ND and later UL, but it will still be a big factor.

I think most rational ACC fans, particularly Duke and UNC fans since they're the only teams worth a damn, recognize SU (and Louisville) as a perennial national powerhouse that will be in contention for winning the league each year. I think the ACC-elitists ( some Duke and UNC fans) would love to see SU finish 5th or something behind Virginia in the first year, but honestly, how would that be possible?

From a recruiting standpoint, if SU can compete with and beat arguably the two most prestigious programs in the country regularly, that is huge. Duke and UNC have more to lose than SU, in my opinion. Most people already think SU is below Duke and UNC so if we finish below them in the league or lose head-to-head, nothing is lost. If we beat them or win the league, it will turn a lot of heads and SU will get the recognition it deserves. SU has to totally crap the bed to lose any ground on the national stage.

I agree, the bar is set higher for Duke and UNC, as blue bloods, to defend their conference. There would be no shame in Syracuse finishing 3rd behind both this year, but there would be some shame for Duke or UNC if they finished outside the top 2 or 3. But I wouldn't sleep on Virginia, though. Right now, on paper, I'd argue Syracuse, UNC and Virginia are all at about the same level. I'm giving the edge to Syracuse because of our depth, because it gives us SO many opportunities to see players come in and make a big jump or come in better than expected. But right now, it looks like UVa has Joe Harris, Justin Anderson, Akil Mitchell, and Anthony Gill who are all in that CJ-Grant range talent wise, plus about 3 other guys who are solid role players. If UVa gets good production from one of their 2 freshmen PG's, Syracuse and UNC will have to bring its A games to beat them. Should be a tough 4 way race in the ACC and an exciting year to join the new conference.

I agree, the bar is set higher for Duke and UNC, as blue bloods, to defend their conference. There would be no shame in Syracuse finishing 3rd behind both this year, but there would be some shame for Duke or UNC if they finished outside the top 2 or 3. But I wouldn't sleep on Virginia, though. Right now, on paper, I'd argue Syracuse, UNC and Virginia are all at about the same level. I'm giving the edge to Syracuse because of our depth, because it gives us SO many opportunities to see players come in and make a big jump or come in better than expected. But right now, it looks like UVa has Joe Harris, Justin Anderson, Akil Mitchell, and Anthony Gill who are all in that CJ-Grant range talent wise, plus about 3 other guys who are solid role players. If UVa gets good production from one of their 2 freshmen PG's, Syracuse and UNC will have to bring its A games to beat them. Should be a tough 4 way race in the ACC and an exciting year to join the new conference.
Virginia is no where near our level.

Virginia is no where near our level.

I hope you're right. Would love to see Syracuse clearly separate itself from everyone else. Right now I see Duke as being the team to beat with Syracuse, UNC and UVA down a notch from them, with Syracuse having the best chance of the 3 to challenge Duke. All we need is for a few things to break our way. And if Duke never gets its questions in the low post figured out, we could definitely take the regular season title. But looking at it right now, on paper, it's gonna be a tough four-team battle for the title.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom