How long till SU can redshirt most? | Syracusefan.com

How long till SU can redshirt most?

echosofmanley

Scout Team
Given Grobs uneven recruiting and all the defections, how long till SU can redshirt most of the frosh class?

Not next year, although we will have a veteran team. 2013?

Given Grobs uneven recruiting and all the defections, how long till SU can redshirt most of the frosh class?

I've said it many times before so I may as well say it again. I think GRob recruited pretty well, especially since he couldn't win. He was a good recruiter, he just wasn't HC material nor had the $$$ to bring in top notch assistants. A heck of a lot of GRob recruits have been starters here the past 3 years.

It s this year for this yeast's freshmen,right? I think we have excellent experience next year Ok some won't have a ton of field experience but going through another spring and fall practice has got to help in addition to bowl practice time.:D

I think we're close. So far this year, I believe 6 Frosh have played, Dyshawn Davis, J. Kobena, E. Crume, Cam Lynch, B. Reddish, and R. Desir, two of which though are prep schoolers so they essentially had a redshirt year anyway. Throw Sam Rodgers in there too but he is a long snapper so not as much of an issue - I would expect LS's to play when ready as you usually only recruit them as needed.

I think Lynch and Crume would have been able to play any year as frosh - they are physically ready. Depth had more in play for Reddish and Desir though - if we had adequate DB depth, I think at least one redshirts. So we're close, maybe next year.

I've said it many times before so I may as well say it again. I think GRob recruited pretty well, especially since he couldn't win. He was a good recruiter, he just wasn't HC material nor had the $$$ to bring in top notch assistants. A heck of a lot of GRob recruits have been starters here the past 3 years.

Agreed. His staff could recruit and identify talent. The just collectively couldn't gameday coach or necessarily develop talent consistently.

Agreed. His staff could recruit and identify talent. The just collectively couldn't gameday coach or necessarily develop talent consistently.

Completely agree.

I think we're close. So far this year, I believe 6 Frosh have played, Dyshawn Davis, J. Kobena, E. Crume, Cam Lynch, B. Reddish, and R. Desir, two of which though are prep schoolers so they essentially had a redshirt year anyway. Throw Sam Rodgers in there too but he is a long snapper so not as much of an issue - I would expect LS's to play when ready as you usually only recruit them as needed.

I think Lynch and Crume would have been able to play any year as frosh - they are physically ready. Depth had more in play for Reddish and Desir though - if we had adequate DB depth, I think at least one redshirts. So we're close, maybe next year.

Of the frosh you listed, I think Crume will be a monster and I love Davis. The rest I haven't seen enough of but them and Mungwa I think will be major contributors.

Or make in game corrections to react to what others teams were doing

I'm with Tep in that I think we are real close but there are always going to be several true freshman that play every year - it's different era now with how much football kids play and weight training etc.

Texas played more true freshmen in week 1 than any program in the country.

Wonder if Mack Brown is still trying to recover from the John Mackovic era.

Grob had some recruiting success (skill guys), but his classes were very thin and uneven. Not enough bigs or TEs or LBs of the quality we would like. The mantra that was a good recruiter is built only on the top of his classes (Hogue, Carter, Holmes, and a few others). Conversely, Marrone hasn't yet landed the top skill guys, but his classes are deeper, and more oriented to defense and bigs, and he has used JUCOs like Cruz, Hay and Tiller to fill holes.

As for playing true frosh, I hope 6 or 7 of our recruits are good enough, every year, to earn playing time. It would be a good thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom