How many college FB players here? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How many college FB players here?

Played Rugby at Oswego St (78-80). My only claim to fame: Since I was 6'4" I jumped on the lineouts to tap the ball to small quick guys. Broke my nose against Syracuse. Had no clue what the rules were but enjoyed the parties and trips to places like Boston and Buffalo. Played B and C teams mostly as a 2nd Row Position...I basically sucked because I wasn't too dedicated. I played only in the Spring since the Fall interfered with Syracuse Football.

Lineout

I don't post unless I need info on cuse tv options in foreign lands or rarely if I have been drinking. This falls into the later. I have an important fact that should be known. My little pub has been the largest on premise (bar/restaurant) utica club account since we opened 5 years ago. Every damn year. So suck it coors/bud bars...

As a Whitesboro native/resident, let me just say that Nail Creek is not only the best bar on Varick, but also the best bar in the Mohawk Valley. Give Varick's best bartender Jill a raise, she deserves it!!

As a member of the "Go Ham" football squad, my team went undefeated during intramural flag football during the '11 campaign. Led by a senior Qb, we had strong experience at each position, including myself flanked at wideout on O and middle linebacker on D.

Many gym shorts were accidently ripped that season due to aggressive flag grabbing.

Trash was talked, hangovers ran rampant, blood was drawn, but no one, and I mean NO ONE could stop us from winning that title.

Since you ask...normally try to avoid this here...anyway was a gangly 6'1" 195 out of WGHS. But was second team all state, 1st team All County, local player of the year along with none other than Tim Green (which remains my claim to fame getting the better of him one on one...of course he was a jr. and me a sr. but lets not let that get in the way of a good story:))

Those things got me noticed some with partial scholly offers from Bucknell and Holy Cross. Was recruited but never offered by SU, Pitt, PSU, NCSt., Maryland and offered by all those to walk on. A ton of Div. III schools came knocking and for some reason I loved the everything about Hamilton College. This though I always loved the Cuse I really at the time didn't think I was good enough not knowing how things would turn out athletically being called the div. 1 kid playing div. 3. But what I did know it was a fantastic academic school and I could start all 4 years, be close to home, catch some Cuse games at the end of our season and it seemed a no brainer given the circumstances and my mindset then.

It was cheap back then too so with the aid/scholarship package they came up with it was the same at the end of the day than if I went to the partial scholly schools. Anyway as the program grew so did I physically to 6'2" 235, OLB/DE, 4.7 forty. 4.45 short shuttle time (those from my pro day tryout which as it turned out were div. 1 caliber numbers but who knew early on this would be the case, certainly not me). I wore #99 to answer your question as the sack thing was my thing, and who better to emulate then other than the sackmaster himself Mark Gastenau.

Anyway we sucked big time my first 3 years something like 3-26, but evolved to a championship program by my senior year ending up 7-1-1 beating the #2 nationally ranked team in the end. That got our program notice and (braggadacious alert continuing now) we we're the div. 3 team of the year, I got Conference player of the year, All-Conference, All-East and finally All-American, broke all the defensive records for my position which I believe is still the case today (this in 3 years as for some reasons on Hamiltons records page they omit one of my years, thus the numbers would actually be higher the conceited bastid says...).

That got pro notice and a tryout but strength was issue as in HS in my era, or at my school at least, there was no formal weight lifting program. Same too for the first couple years at Hamilton believe it or not and I didn't find a weight room regularly until my junior year. Some of the schmucks then found roids but I wouldn't get near them.

That was a huge detriment during the tryout as clearly I was behind the 8 ball strength wise vs. most of the rest except athletically. I was encouraged to hit the weights hard for a year and come on back but by them the Hamilton post grad pipeline had hooked me up with a good job and career stuff took over. Thankfully in retrospect with the amount of post traumatic orthopedic injuries I now deal with I can't imagine how I'd feel today if I went the div 1 route and did pro time.

Stayed connected for years with the program, did some recruiting in the process, made a large amount of coaching contact connections from this experience with a lot of past teammates coaching at all levels so it kind of keeps one in the loop right up to today.

Anyway that was probably more than you were asking for....so you see "Stella, I coulda been a contenda......"

Thanks for asking, havent thought about all that for a long while and considering the shape I'm in now it seems like someone else lived that experience! See you at a tailgate soon Shenexon.

I don't post unless I need info on cuse tv options in foreign lands or rarely if I have been drinking. This falls into the later. I have an important fact that should be known. My little pub has been the largest on premise (bar/restaurant) utica club account since we opened 5 years ago. Every damn year. So suck it coors/bud bars...

As former Utican, I am ashamed to say I am terribly ignorant of the Varick street pub scene. But a trip there is planned, and we will be sure to try out the Nail Creek Pub -- after the brewery tour. :)

Division 2 Kutztown University, for all you Bills fans you know this is where Andre Reed went, I played TE, starting my last two years. I had the pleasure of playing with John Mobley (2 Superbowls with the Broncos) for two of my years, the guy did it all MLB, short yardage back, KR, and PR. One of my best memories of playing was the 95 season Jim Brown (he manly came to visit and talk with Mobley about the NFL) came and spoke to the team, it's amazing how intense his stare is as he was talking to us and looking at us. I played semi pro football for 5 years after college, but the league at to many hacks and injuries where becoming more and more of a risk.

Actually, that's exactly what I was looking for. Great story. Thanks for sharing. I always thought you were a star tailgater only to find you we're special as a player too. See you soon.
thanks for the nice comments. One of my favorite recruiting stories involved SU on my visit up there. I was up there on a visit hanging with then asst. George Oleary when they got a surprise visit from one of their top recruits (not sure if there was a star system back then but if so he was likely a 4 star guy). He was a local kid from Henniger named Jerome Hall. Once he popped in I had to entertain myself for quite a while.

I was a bit introverted and had my best HS friend with me (an extrovert sales type now millionare) and while I wasn't pissed he was. Dont think the kid (Hall) did much in college so to this day he still says jokingly on occassion, "see they should have paid attention to us instead of showing us to the broom closet when he showed up".

Actually was a pretty cool experience as shortly after they took the whole crew of us to Danzers and it was cool to hang with that crew of coaches and some of the kids up there. I sometimes kick myself wondering what could have been being obviously a lover of all things SU (playing in the dome, donning the Cuse uni, playing alongside Green, etc.), but you know what they say about hindsight...great thread dude.

I sometimes kick myself wondering what could have been being obviously a lover of all things SU (playing in the dome, donning the Cuse uni, playing alongside Green, etc.), but you know what they say about hindsight...
One of the things I love about this board is that there are many bright, talented, and successful people here. Some of those folks also are or used to be good and/or great athletes. Once in a while it's good to honor those athletes in our midst who know just how difficult these sports are and how cool it is to be able to participate at the collegiate level. I have my own hindsight issues so don't know what to tell you other than you have a great story the way it is.

Phil McConkey - you've heard of me?

I fought you in high school and got 6 hours of jug (detention) as a result. You were a real punk.

Played D2 ball at Gannon University in Erie, PA from '93-'97. Fortunate enough to get a full ride and started at OT for 3 years. Played against Hank Fraley at Robert Morris and went head to head against London Fletcher at John Carroll during our respective senior seasons. He was a beast! Family has had season tix since the Archbold days and we all bleed Orange!

Whenever it is cool and damp my knees and back remind me of my D3 college football days. HamTech, '96-'00. Recruited as a linebacker, wound up at TE/FB. My last three years we were awful (3-21). Would do it again in a heartbeat. Little bro is a lurker and played line at SLU. From that we got to hear coach Mac give a fiery speech at a banquet. To this day I have no idea what he was talking about but was still fired up in the drumlins banquet room in the middle of February.

Had some interest from E. Michigan, joined the ARMY and played intramural ball, TB and LB, when I got out, I played Semi-Pro for the Syracuse Express, same positions.

Played D2 ball at Gannon University in Erie, PA from '93-'97. Fortunate enough to get a full ride and started at OT for 3 years. Played against Hank Fraley at Robert Morris and went head to head against London Fletcher at John Carroll during our respective senior seasons. He was a beast! Family has had season tix since the Archbold days and we all bleed Orange!
Hey Gannon, dont forget about your stellar Syracuse Metro Flag Football League career as well, where you anchored a line that won pretty much every championship from 2001-2007 (and many yrs before us) and the BII dominated teams such as JRs, Manhattans, & Cats!! Ahhh, those were the days.

Since you ask...normally try to avoid this here...anyway was a gangly 6'1" 195 out of WGHS. But was second team all state, 1st team All County, local player of the year along with none other than Tim Green (which remains my claim to fame getting the better of him one on one...of course he was a jr. and me a sr. but lets not let that get in the way of a good story:))

Those things got me noticed some with partial scholly offers from Bucknell and Holy Cross. Was recruited but never offered by SU, Pitt, PSU, NCSt., Maryland and offered by all those to walk on. A ton of Div. III schools came knocking and for some reason I loved the everything about Hamilton College. This though I always loved the Cuse I really at the time didn't think I was good enough not knowing how things would turn out athletically being called the div. 1 kid playing div. 3. But what I did know it was a fantastic academic school and I could start all 4 years, be close to home, catch some Cuse games at the end of our season and it seemed a no brainer given the circumstances and my mindset then.

It was cheap back then too so with the aid/scholarship package they came up with it was the same at the end of the day than if I went to the partial scholly schools. Anyway as the program grew so did I physically to 6'2" 235, OLB/DE, 4.7 forty. 4.45 short shuttle time (those from my pro day tryout which as it turned out were div. 1 caliber numbers but who knew early on this would be the case, certainly not me). I wore #99 to answer your question as the sack thing was my thing, and who better to emulate then other than the sackmaster himself Mark Gastenau.

Anyway we sucked big time my first 3 years something like 3-26, but evolved to a championship program by my senior year ending up 7-1-1 beating the #2 nationally ranked team in the end. That got our program notice and (braggadacious alert continuing now) we we're the div. 3 team of the year, I got Conference player of the year, All-Conference, All-East and finally All-American, broke all the defensive records for my position which I believe is still the case today (this in 3 years as for some reasons on Hamiltons records page they omit one of my years, thus the numbers would actually be higher the conceited bastid says...).

That got pro notice and a tryout but strength was issue as in HS in my era, or at my school at least, there was no formal weight lifting program. Same too for the first couple years at Hamilton believe it or not and I didn't find a weight room regularly until my junior year. Some of the schmucks then found roids but I wouldn't get near them.

That was a huge detriment during the tryout as clearly I was behind the 8 ball strength wise vs. most of the rest except athletically. I was encouraged to hit the weights hard for a year and come on back but by them the Hamilton post grad pipeline had hooked me up with a good job and career stuff took over. Thankfully in retrospect with the amount of post traumatic orthopedic injuries I now deal with I can't imagine how I'd feel today if I went the div 1 route and did pro time.

Stayed connected for years with the program, did some recruiting in the process, made a large amount of coaching contact connections from this experience with a lot of past teammates coaching at all levels so it kind of keeps one in the loop right up to today.

Anyway that was probably more than you were asking for....so you see "Stella, I coulda been a contenda......"

Thanks for asking, havent thought about all that for a long while and considering the shape I'm in now it seems like someone else lived that experience! See you at a tailgate soon Shenexon.

This is all true, your records still stand. You also forgot the the part where you were invited to speak to the '01 team prior to our homecoming game. I was so inspired that I had an interception, forced fumble, and numerous tackles. We lost by 30.

This is all true, your records still stand. You also forgot the the part where you were invited to speak to the '01 team prior to our homecoming game. I was so inspired that I had an interception, forced fumble, and numerous tackles. We lost by 30.
I've given some 8 or so pregame huzzah speaches so far to the team over the years. I think I have a perfect record.......a perfect 0-8. I blame the administration for no longer letting dumb bastids like me in and only smart guys like you :)

Glad I so inspired you though...I'd say you owe me a beer for that inspiration...