How many NBA All Stars has JB coached | Syracusefan.com

How many NBA All Stars has JB coached

RandygoCuse

All Conference
I know of Carmelo and Coleman, but I'm fairly ignorant of the players he coached in the 70's and 80's...Who am I missing?

Believe that's it.. it speaks to his greatness that very very few of his players go on to do much at the next level. He is working with limited talent.

at least 30 or 40, but he destroys them with his dino ball and prevents them from ever reaching their true potential. give me the talent that the Dome has drawn to the Hill and I would have produced at least 7 titles, several dozen NBA all stars, and half a dozen NBA MVPs

;)

Are we counting his work with the Olympic team? ;)

Believe that's it.. it speaks to his greatness that very very few of his players go on to do much at the next level. He is working with limited talent.

Is this supposed to be ironic?

Is this supposed to be ironic?

I think it's meant to be sardonic.
The 'irony' is that we've had so many talented high schoolers come in, but few have translated that early talent into NBA success.

Has anyone compiled the data for other coaches of similar repute? Is he an outlier or is there no real correlation?

Coleman was hardly an all star...

1 game and 2 points.

Coleman was hardly an all star...

1 game and 2 points.
DC: The biggest disappointment.
His career numbers aren't bad.
But he never came close to achieving his potential.
Had the tools to be the best power forward EVER.

Don't discount the heart problems.

Literally and figuratively..

That might be true in terms of how his career unfolded.

But by my way of thinking, I couldn't be prouder of Derrick Coleman for the adult he's matured into, some of the professional things he's involved with now, and how he conducts himself as a representative of both the University and the basketball program [as both former player and unabashed fan].

I got a chance to see that up close in Boston. DC is awesome.

DC is pretty candid about how he acted in the NBA. He doesn't hide the fact that he was immature, ate too much and didn't keep his body and mind right during his time in the Association. He got by because he was so gifted.

Has anyone compiled the data for other coaches of similar repute? Is he an outlier or is there no real correlation?
I think Thompson had 4 (Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo, Iverson) and Calhoun had 4 (Reggie Lewis, Cliff Robinson, Ray Allen and Rip Hamilton). I'm not sure Coach Cal has any other than Derrick Rose and Pitino had Mashburn and Antoine Walker. I'm not sure about Coach K, Dean Smith or Lute Olson.

And of course this was ALL JB'b fault. His 4 years of training DC instilled such poor habits and basketball knowledge that 15 years in the NBA couldn't change. And lets forget that he was 1991 rookie of the year.

the all-star teams since the late-90's have had a lot of guys who either came in straight out of high school and foreign guys, which limits the number of slots available to college players.

http://www.allstarnba.es/rosters/

over the same period as 'Cuse's 2 all-stars, using players that entered the NBA since 1990, i only found about a dozen schools with more than 2 all-stars. it's also worth noting that the all-star games through most of the 1990's were littered with veterans who played college ball in the early-mid 80's (Jordan, Ewing, Olajuwon, Barkley, D.Robinson, Malone, Stockton, Pippen, Mullin, etc)

Duke: G. Hill, Laettner, Brand, Boozer, Deng
UNC: V. Carter, Stackhouse, R.Wallace, Jamison
UConn: Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, C. Butler, C. Robinson
Georgetown: Mouring, Mutombo, Iverson, Hibbert
Alabama: G. Wallace, Mo Williams, Sprewell, McDyess
Michigan: Webber, Ju.Howard, G. Rice
Wake Forest: Duncan, C.Paul, Josh Howard
Kentucky: J.Mashburn, A.Walker, Rondo
UCLA: K.Love, R. Westbrook, Baron Davis
Arizona: Arenas, Iguodala, S.Elliott
Ga. Tech: Bosh, Marbury, K. Anderson

in the same group with us with 2 all-stars:

Michigan St.: Z.Randolph, S.Smith
UNLV: Marion, L. Johnson
Texas: Durant, Aldridge
Memphis: D.Rose, A.Hardaway
Florida: Horford, D.Lee
Cal: J.Kidd, Abdur-Rahim
Wisc: D. Harris, M. Finley
St. Johns: Artest, Jayson Williams
Cinci: K. Martin, Van Exel
Purdue: B. Miller, G. Robinson
UTEP: A.Davis, T. Hardaway
C.Michigan: D. Majerle, C. Kamam

notably absent is Kansas, who's only All-Star has been Paul Pierce, although Danny Manning entered the NBA one year before my admittedly arbitrary cut-off.

HS: LeBron, D. Howard, Bynum, Kobe, Amare, KG, R. Lewis, D. Granger, J.O'Neal, McGrady
foreign: Dirk, M.Gasol, Parker, P.Gasol, Yao, Ginobili, Okur, Ilgauskas, Kirlenko, Peja, Smits, Schrempf

But by my way of thinking, I couldn't be prouder of Derrick Coleman for the adult he's matured into, some of the professional things he's involved with now, and how he conducts himself as a representative of both the University and the basketball program [as both former player and unabashed fan].

Exactly. How many other SU athletes are as visibly behind the program as DC? None.

I know McNabb does a bunch as well, but not _visibly_. I never understood this. You would think the SU pro athlete club would be small enough that these guys would have stronger bonds.

44cuse

the all-star teams since the late-90's have had a lot of guys who either came in straight out of high school and foreign guys, which limits the number of slots available to college players.

http://www.allstarnba.es/rosters/

over the same period as 'Cuse's 2 all-stars, using players that entered the NBA since 1990, i only found about a dozen schools with more than 2 all-stars. it's also worth noting that the all-star games through most of the 1990's were littered with veterans who played college ball in the early-mid 80's (Jordan, Ewing, Olajuwon, Barkley, D.Robinson, Malone, Stockton, Pippen, Mullin, etc)

Duke: G. Hill, Laettner, Brand, Boozer, Deng
UNC: V. Carter, Stackhouse, R.Wallace, Jamison
UConn: Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, C. Butler, C. Robinson
Georgetown: Mouring, Mutombo, Iverson, Hibbert
Alabama: G. Wallace, Mo Williams, Sprewell, McDyess
Michigan: Webber, Ju.Howard, G. Rice
Wake Forest: Duncan, C.Paul, Josh Howard
Kentucky: J.Mashburn, A.Walker, Rondo
UCLA: K.Love, R. Westbrook, Baron Davis
Arizona: Arenas, Iguodala, S.Elliott
Ga. Tech: Bosh, Marbury, K. Anderson

in the same group with us with 2 all-stars:

Michigan St.: Z.Randolph, S.Smith
UNLV: Marion, L. Johnson
Texas: Durant, Aldridge
Memphis: D.Rose, A.Hardaway
Florida: Horford, D.Lee
Cal: J.Kidd, Abdur-Rahim
Wisc: D. Harris, M. Finley
St. Johns: Artest, Jayson Williams
Cinci: K. Martin, Van Exel
Purdue: B. Miller, G. Robinson
UTEP: A.Davis, T. Hardaway
C.Michigan: D. Majerle, C. Kamam

notably absent is Kansas, who's only All-Star has been Paul Pierce, although Danny Manning entered the NBA one year before my admittedly arbitrary cut-off.

HS: LeBron, D. Howard, Bynum, Kobe, Amare, KG, R. Lewis, D. Granger, J.O'Neal, McGrady
foreign: Dirk, M.Gasol, Parker, P.Gasol, Yao, Ginobili, Okur, Ilgauskas, Kirlenko, Peja, Smits, Schrempf
Thansk for putting that together - I forgot about Caron Butler...It's also worth noting that a lot of those schools had multiple coaches. Didn't Granger go to New Mexico or New Mexico State?

Thansk for putting that together - I forgot about Caron Butler...It's also worth noting that a lot of those schools had multiple coaches. Didn't Granger go to New Mexico or New Mexico State?

Yes, Granger actually played 4 years in college (2 at Bradley, 2 at N. Mex). No idea why I always thought he entered the NBA at a young age. I had honestly never heard of him until he was drafted in 2005, which led to this memorable Draft Diary with Bill Simmons drooling over him as team after team passed over him only to see the Pacers snag him at #17 while Simmons' Celtics were picking 18th.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050629&num=0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom