How many Syracuse fans are there? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How many Syracuse fans are there?

Okay. It isn't for everyone. I know I am in a different situation than most. But I bet there are a lot of people out there that would donate if they were asked. They aren't being asked. That is my main point. I give to St Jude's first and foremost. And to Syracuse veterans fund (for my late father) but I will donate $100 to a collective if I was asked.

Correct, everyone’s situation is different. I might feel differently when I’m done dropping $3k a month on daycare in a couple years.

St Jude’s is a great cause. I’m admittedly not the best with charitable giving, but I typically give a few bucks to the V Foundation every year.

I give $50 - $100 bucks to meaningful causes quite often. I would do the same for SU, but then, how would that change one's donation to SU? I give money to schools I attended and didn't even graduate from, just because they ask. I'll give to GoFundMes in my neighborhood, or back home, if there is some tragedy or whatnot.

It would be interesting to direct the money to a sport of personal interest, maybe men's and women's lacrosse. I wouldn't even expect a parking spot in return.

All they have to do is ask.

But, the thing is, it doesn't feel as meaningful as a gofundme or donating to the college itself.

There's the hard core that doesn't like the pay-for-play concept that has evolved with NIL
and will never support it. Then there's a "band wagon" portion that will support a winner after the fact (not exactly where SU has been recently). Then there's the group that will
support the concept regardless of results, and continue to hope for the best.

I would without a doubt give money to a collective that was targeting men's basketball and football. I would want to know how the $ is being used, how we are trying to keep or obtain talent. If there are more specifics, more targeted marketing then there would be more donations. Right now it appears there is a website link but little else

Cuse

You can donate to the collective and choose the sport you want it to go to.

How many that would be willing to give $100 to a collective? Have to be over 100k
wouldn't you think? The university has to be more proactive on this.
There's almost 800,000 people in Onondaga, Cayuga, Oswego, and Madison Counties combined. Layer in fans from other areas that don't have a major college team nearby (Rochester, Buffalo, Albany). Then layer in alumni from all over the country/world and you're looking at a sizeable potential donor pool.

Obviously not everyone is willing/able to give money to this type of thing, but I think with more effort the collectives could generate a sizeable amount of donations in the $5 - $100 range. They should also go after the big fish for the large donations.

I don't know what kind of marketing the collectives are doing, but the only time I've personally heard/seen an advertisement is Jim Boeheim's radio ad that ran on ESPN radio - Syracuse. I doubt that's reaching too many people. I personally listen to ESPN radio like 1 time a month.

Somebody needs to find a loophole in ticket sales where a % automatically gets "donated" to the collective. In the smallest of small print, "X% of all ticket revenue will be donated to blah blah blah". Of course, that means tickets prices go up X% too.

Obviously, it would be some SEC school or WVU that does this and avoids getting busted.

Okay. It isn't for everyone. I know I am in a different situation than most. But I bet there are a lot of people out there that would donate if they were asked. They aren't being asked. That is my main point. I give to St Jude's first and foremost. And to Syracuse veterans fund (for my late father) but I will donate $100 to a collective if I was asked.

But how do you want them to “ask” you? I currently give to 3 charities, including St Jude like you, and I’ve never been asked by any of them. You, like most others, are aware of the collectives. Wildhack has done several articles or interviews about them. Syracuse.com has done articles on them. The collectives themselves have done interviews. John has met with numerous businesses and individuals. Etc. Even this site has posted their websites a dozen times and even pinned one post with their website. Their names are out there. I donated to 315, not because they asked but because I am fully aware of them and the purpose. Maybe I will but I don’t ever expect to hear from them personally. I don’t even think SU would be allowed to give them every STH address, e-mail or phone number because of privacy at a minimum.

How many people give $5 to a the red pots at xmas over the years?

I think $20 donations you could get a decent amount of people to buy in but how do you locate them?

$100 donations no nearly as many. We cant even get people to buy all the $100 fball seats.

Just speaking for myself. Can’t say that I’d spend $100 on NIL. I have two young children who already take enough out of my bank account. Not about to spend money helping pay a random 20 year old to play basketball.
As long as a good chunk of our money goes off to UNH, I’m not sending money to entice a kid to play hoops at SU.

But how do you want them to “ask” you? I currently give to 3 charities, including St Jude like you, and I’ve never been asked by any of them. You, like most others, are aware of the collectives. Wildhack has done several articles or interviews about them. Syracuse.com has done articles on them. The collectives themselves have done interviews. John has met with numerous businesses and individuals. Etc. Even this site has posted their websites a dozen times and even pinned one post with their website. Their names are out there. I donated to 315, not because they asked but because I am fully aware of them and the purpose. Maybe I will but I don’t every expect to hear from them personally. I don’t even think SU would be allowed to give them every STH address, e-mail or phone number because of privacy at a minimum.
They can purchase this data. I've done it for companies I worked for.

I'd probably donate somewhere between 2-5K per year. Would probably lead me to donate less to the university though.
Back in January the NY Times Magazine ran a good article on the impact of NIL's on college sports (Well, it was good except for the fact that the focus UNC and Bacot).

One aspect it pointed out was the angle of boosters donating to NIL collectives and not the Athletic Department, as you mention.
When a lot of ans do that, the impact mounts.
Amond the problems that can cause is keeping non-revenue producing sports afloat.

From the data I see, there's roughly 1.7-1.8 million people that call themselves SU sports fans. Needless to say, not all of them are diehards.

There's no chance on Earth of getting ~6% of them to donate $100 for NIL. I mean most of those people don't even attend games.

They can purchase this data. I've done it for companies I worked for.

Oh I know businesses buy and sell personal info. That’s why I get so many emails. Lol. But would SU do that?

From the data I see, there's roughly 1.7-1.8 million people that call themselves SU sports fans. Needless to say, not all of them are diehards.

There's no chance on Earth of getting ~6% of them to donate $100 for NIL. I mean most of those people don't even attend games.
If you get 3%(50,000) to donate just 5 dollars a month you can get 3 million a year. Just being conservative.

I know the solution to all of this. Put CuseTroop in charge of the whole thing. He will get everyone to chip in in some form or fashion. And we‘ll all have a blast doing it.

Last edited:
Can they offer roundups to go towards collectives?

Like acorns with cards

You can donate to the collective and choose the sport you want it to go to.

Thanks. I see I can designate basketball but not sure where that $ goes. Can it go to a specific player (Syracuse fan organizes a direct effort to keep someone)? can it go to a recruiting/transfer fund?

I think it would benefit the fund and increase donations if there was some further explanation. Not even sure what is legal to ay or do

Yeah most of us aren't. I donated some after making money off UConns win. Would never expect everyone to do so but there are plenty of us that would
That UConn money is dirty. Get rid of it ASAP. :)

If you get 3%(50,000) to donate just 5 dollars a month you can get 3 million a year. Just being conservative.
Sure, that's the math, but we're not getting 50K to donate $60 a year.

How many people donated to SU athletics at all last year? I think you can add that to our season ticket base for football and hoops (unduplicated) and not get close to 50K.

Thanks. I see I can designate basketball but not sure where that $ goes. Can it go to a specific player (Syracuse fan organizes a direct effort to keep someone)? can it go to a recruiting/transfer fund?

I think it would benefit the fund and increase donations if there was some further explanation. Not even sure what is legal to ay or do

I think you can put a players name in the notes box.

Didnt some consultant report say like 2M US fans or something wild?

Can they offer roundups to go towards collectives?

Like acorns with cards
Make it national thing, select your team's collective and round up purchases. Then you skim a bit off the top of everything and give it to Syracuse!

But how do you want them to “ask” you? I currently give to 3 charities, including St Jude like you, and I’ve never been asked by any of them. You, like most others, are aware of the collectives. Wildhack has done several articles or interviews about them. Syracuse.com has done articles on them. The collectives themselves have done interviews. John has met with numerous businesses and individuals. Etc. Even this site has posted their websites a dozen times and even pinned one post with their website. Their names are out there. I donated to 315, not because they asked but because I am fully aware of them and the purpose. Maybe I will but I don’t ever expect to hear from them personally. I don’t even think SU would be allowed to give them every STH address, e-mail or phone number because of privacy at a minimum.
The University of Iowa has had a whole thing with one of their collectives because they refuse to give them the season ticket holder list because their policy is not to give that information to third parties. Not sure if it's been resolved or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom