How much time did Syracuse football QB Tommy DeVito have vs. Clemson? (what we learned) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How much time did Syracuse football QB Tommy DeVito have vs. Clemson? (what we learned)

Jesus, this crap has to stop
You’re a little crabby lately. What crap? It’s a message board where people go to discuss SU football. I never said DeVito isn’t good or won’t get better. The post was on topic. Sorry everything isn’t butterflies and rainbows. That story about Dohn wasn’t made up. If you can’t come here and discuss on field play what is the point of the board?

Last edited:
As for any comparison to ED who I thought did a wonderful job at the helm for SU...He struggled as a 3 year starter vs Middle Tennessee St with blitzes and that too was at home as well. Clemson has a plethora of draft picks on their D, MTS...not so much. It happens even to those who can scramble and there was then, and there is now, plenty of blame to go around.

The staff and players have plenty of film to go over all the mistakes and successes they have had and I don't want to hear about Heckle being hurt because if 1 linemen is down, I don't even want to know what would happen if another gets hurt.

Everybody do their jobs...and this includes the staff...and right this ship on Saturday.

This years roster is not last years and not fair to compare with even one different piece
But these are discussions and what if’s
Not facts . Fact last years roster of a surrounding cast was better at this time for the Qb . How quickly people forget that ED struggled in many games and TD saved the 2 of the 3 key games ( NC STATE the 3rd key game ) ED played lights out ! The ND game the line play was poor we all know that . Now it’s my turn to un fairly guess maybe ED who isn’t as quick in the pocket gets sacked 12 times vs Clemson
Yes ED is elusive for his size but you need quicks back there . I’m sure ED makes a few plays vs Clemson as well but maybe throws more picks ? In 3 years I’ve never seen that pressure we faced vs Clemson. Bottom line is these are discussions and that’s ok but when people think there facts it’s laughable

Jesus, this crap has to stop

What crap has to stop? There isn’t anything he said that was out of line. You seem to think you’re some authority figure here lately.

This years roster is not last years and not fair to compare with even one different piece
Not facts . Fact last years roster of a surrounding cast was better at this time for the Qb . How quickly people forget that ED struggled in many games and TD saved the 2 of the 3 key games ( NC STATE the 3rd key game ) ED played lights out ! The ND game the line play was poor we all know that . Now it’s my turn to un fairly guess maybe ED who isn’t as quick in the pocket gets sacked 12 times vs Clemson
Yes ED is elusive for his size but you need quicks back there . I’m sure ED makes a few plays vs Clemson as well but maybe throws more picks ? In 3 years I’ve never seen that pressure we faced vs Clemson. Bottom line is these are discussions and that’s ok but when people think there facts it’s laughable

Absolutely. And if Tommy has a safety valve like Custis or Amba things would be different too.

As for any comparison to ED who I thought did a wonderful job at the helm for SU...He struggled as a 3 year starter vs Middle Tennessee St with blitzes and that too was at home as well. Clemson has a plethora of draft picks on their D, MTS...not so much. It happens even to those who can scramble and there was then, and there is now, plenty of blame to go around.

The staff and players have plenty of film to go over all the mistakes and successes they have had and I don't want to hear about Heckle being hurt because if 1 linemen is down, I don't even want to know what would happen if another gets hurt.

Everybody do their jobs...and this includes the staff...and right this ship on Saturday.
Could not agree more!

I truly hope that what you typed, stating the cast surrounding Dungey was better than what Tommy has, is not what you meant. Perhaps you meant to say that they were more experienced. Everyone on the offense is struggling right now. Everyone needs more experience to get better.

The offensive line is one of those things that people don’t think about until it’s a problem.

last year's offense wasn't good per play but must've had decent success rates - i don't know where to find stats about tackles for loss given up

Dungey had roughly the same per pass numbers against clemson - he only ran for 11 yards. better than -42 (goofy college stats)

a lot of the nfl analytics nerds pin sacks on qbs because even when the line is terrible, some of them can the ball out.

dungey probably turned a bunch of sacks into 1 yard runs and it probably helped them with their success rates. that, turnovers, and the kicking game is the explanation for how a team that was average per play was way above average in scoring. (Last year wasn't a big 4th down extra play keeping drives going year)

clemson got so much pressure and is so good, what difference does it make whether you lose 5 or throw incomplete, either way, you're not going to succeed in those downs and distances

but going forward, get players back where they ought to be, communicate a little better, get a little better at throwing it away, throw more screens. I am more convinced by the posts and the paper that miscommunication is as much or more of a problem than the tackles just being hopeless

I truly hope that what you typed, stating the cast surrounding Dungey was better than what Tommy has, is not what you meant. Perhaps you meant to say that they were more experienced. Everyone on the offense is struggling right now. Everyone needs more experience to get better.
I said at this time which means they can get better

I actually agree and understand Care Takers point. I think this group has a higher ceiling, but last year, at game 3 the supporting cast was more experienced.

Yeah I think people are mistakenly projecting our success in the second half of last year onto the first half of last year.

Defense got smoked by WMU and PITT

Offense was stifled by Pitt where Eric was poor, & our offense was not good against WMU but Eric’s legs saved us.

Also we sucked offensively against UNC and a hapless FSU until Tommy came in

Now, the second half of the year we were lights out on both sides of the ball (except ND) and that seems to be all people are remembering

I actually agree and understand Care Takers point. I think this group has a higher ceiling, but last year, at game 3 the supporting cast was more experienced.
I was just clarifying that with more experience this offense can compete, hopefully, at the same level as last years offense.

Going forward (only direction that matters) we need easier opponents. And a bye week. Need to get better on offense — better running to get in easier down/distance situations, better in dealing with pressures. Then we will see what this team can do in October. Maybe we are a tad disappointed, but it was always WMU and the conference games in October - November that will determine the success of the season.

Yeah I think people are mistakenly projecting our success in the second half of last year onto the first half of last year.

Defense got smoked by WMU and PITT

Offense was stifled by Pitt where Eric was poor, & our offense was not good against WMU but Eric’s legs saved us.

Also we sucked offensively against UNC and a hapless FSU until Tommy came in

Now, the second half of the year we were lights out on both sides of the ball (except ND) and that seems to be all people are remembering
I think that Babers has stated multiple times that the 2019 team is not the 2018 team. It's anew season with new personnel. It's just some fans believed that this team would just pick back up where last years team left off.

I think that Babers has stated multiple times that the 2019 team is not the 2018 team. It's anew season with new personnel. It's just some fans believed that this team would just pick back up where last years team left off.
My point is people are forgetting that the first half of last year wasn’t rainbows and unicorns and it took a lot of growing/improvement to get to where we ended up

This years team has that same chance to grow and improve and finish better than they started. Heck they have a chance to be even better (or worse)

Recency bias is a hell of a drug

I can't believe I'm going to say this but ...
Where is the bubble screen? It's a good way to soften defensive fronts and beat the blitz. Plus TD can get the ball out there in a hurry.

the season essentially starts this saturday gents, game on!
I call bullpuckey. The season is 25% over and Sat is must win for the perception of this team. Just starting? We are in danger of losing the season altogether this Sat.

No excuses this week. If the guys play error free we win. We have to score first.
If we have to play a perfect game to beat WMU at home then we're in rougher shape than I thought.

I can't believe I'm going to say this but ...
Where is the bubble screen? It's a good way to soften defensive fronts and beat the blitz. Plus TD can get the ball out there in a hurry.
Vs clemason they played press taking that away