How much would a Carrier Dome roof failure hurt Central New York? Here's the numbers (PS) | Syracusefan.com

How much would a Carrier Dome roof failure hurt Central New York? Here's the numbers (PS)

Without probabilites, that story doesn't tell us much. A lot of that falls into the "no " category. Gee whiz I was under the impression they could just move Syracuse basketball games to West Genny's gym!
Yeah - God forbid they should be proactive.

Without probabilites, that story doesn't tell us much. A lot of that falls into the "no " category. Gee whiz I was under the impression they could just move Syracuse basketball games to West Genny's gym!

Why not? People here are already prepared to play football games at Thornden Park while it takes 4 years to re-do the roof.

Men's basketball has more than 24k season ticket holders? that can't possibly be right

Yeah - God forbid they should be proactive.
There is nothing proactive about pointing out that SU basketball at the dome has much higher attendance than any existing alternative in the area

They're trying to do some sort of risk analysis without probabilities.

the trivial part is figuring out potential costs, the important part is figuring out the odds of incurring them

There is nothing proactive about pointing out that SU basketball at the dome has much higher attendance than any existing alternative in the area

They're trying to do some sort of risk analysis without probabilities.

the trivial part is figuring out potential costs, the important part is figuring out the odds of incurring them

But they do have to replace the roof soon-ish, don't they? Regardless of the probability of it collapsing this winter?

I have a piece of the old one on my wall, and it's from 15 years ago. Gotta put a new lid on the ol' place soon, right?

But they do have to replace the roof soon-ish, don't they? Regardless of the probability of it collapsing this winter?

I have a piece of the old one on my wall, and it's from 15 years ago. Gotta put a new lid on the ol' place soon, right?
well if it's a foregone conclusion that they'll move after the next roof goes on and before the next roof needs to be replaced, all those numbers in the article are irrelevant, just put the new roof on

From the Chancellor's memo:

"The current roof will likely need to be replaced in 7-10 years and the cost at that time to replace it with a similar roof and likely improvements to the lighting and audio system would approach $25 million."

well if it's a foregone conclusion that they'll move after the next roof goes on and before the next roof needs to be replaced, all those numbers in the article are irrelevant, just put the new roof on

It seems to be heading that way, not that I know anything. But the new Chancellor seems to be suggesting that the plan is to renovate and stay for a while.

Men's basketball has more than 24k season ticket holders? that can't possibly be right

They said that was the number this season. It's higher than recent seasons by a wide margin; we'll see where it falls in a few months.

What if there is a climate change driven snowmeggedon ? Although , on second thought , that is every winter in CNY.

They said that was the number this season. It's higher than recent seasons by a wide margin; we'll see where it falls in a few months.

I don't see that happening especially since we are in the ACC which is part of the reason that the season ticket holders number is so high.

Not concerned, HCSS and team will have a season that blows the roof off the dome way before it's expected to fail. :)

It's not about the roof...it's about the type of roof. In all other stadiums using the same technology (air supported fabric) , there have been major roof failures. Only a matter of time here. The head of the dome admits it could happen at any time.
“It’s our worst nightmare,” Sala said of the Metrodome’s collapse under 2 feet of snow early Sunday morning. “Those guys are going through hell right now.”
Sala said what happened in Minnesota could just as easily happen in Syracuse. “I’ve been telling everybody at the university,” said Sala, “you’re as vulnerable as the next big snowstorm.” A major snowstorm walloped the Central New York region just last week, dumping roughly 4 feet of snow on Syracuse over the course of four days. “I didn’t sleep from Sunday night to Thursday,” Sala said. “You get so stressed out, it’s just incredible. It’s a nightmare.”

“They did everything they should have done,” Sala said of the Metrodome officials.

It's not about the roof...it's about the type of roof. In all other stadiums using the same technology (air supported fabric) , there have been major roof failures. Only a matter of time here. The head of the dome admits it could happen at any time.
If they decide to upgrade and renovate the Carrier Dome, I hope to God they put a hard roof on it.