How ND influenced the ACC to play this season (according to sources) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

How ND influenced the ACC to play this season (according to sources)

I feel like you're giving ND too much credit, and too little to Clemson and FSU. They really were close to leaving at one point, and adding UConn would've been like, well, like the Big East adding Villanova football!

BTW, before you give too much credit to that lawsuit, keep in mind that several current members of the ACC were also parties to the same lawsuit as UConn, if I'm not mistaken.
Yes. Woad is a good poster, but his post doesn't make much sense.

When some Big East schools sued the ACC during that time, two of the schools that were involved in the suit were Virginia Tech and Pitt. I don’t doubt that UConn’s psycho ex-girlfriend behavior hurts their chances but the lawsuit was not a major factor in UConn getting shunned. So Woad, sorry, I am not buying what you are saying.

Last edited:
ND and UofL have absolutely nothing in common except that border. ND wouldn’t pee on UofL’s face if their teeth were on fire.
ND HAD NOTHING to do with Louisville being selected.
In 2011 when the ACC expanded to 14 they wanted Syracuse and then Duke/UNC wanted UConn for the northeast and another basketball program.

BC led by DeFlippio said keep UConn out we want to protect our turf.
Florida State and Clemson didn’t want UConn another northeast school for them to have to travel to yearly and threatened to go to the Big XII. They didn’t want to leave the ACC for the Big XII but used it as a leverage.

The ACC with the former Big East schools backing Florida State and Clemson got Florida State and Virginia Tech’s old metro conference partner Louisville into the ACC over UConn.

The lawsuit hurt UConn because they individually named Fr. Leahy, Gene DeFlippio, Donna Shalala and John Swofford so they had to be co-defendants and deal with depositions etc.

The damage UConn and Richard Blumenthal did was he nuked relationships with those people.

Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, West Virginia were co-plaintiffs with UConn. Syracuse was the only Big East football school that refused to be part of that lawsuit and that decision was noted by the ACC leadership. We took our invitation lost due to Marc Warner intervention with dignity and the ACC didn’t forget which is why we were 13.

Virginia Tech had to withdraw from the UCOnn led lawsuit as they were invited. The Big East eventually settled the lawsuit for a couple million dollars and the ACC giving those 5 Big East teams a home/home series with a different ACC team.

Blumenthal nuked UConn’s relationship with several ACC schools and when Duke and UNC wanted them as 14 the others said no.

Wake is the covert agent in the ACC according to the other NC Mafia
Georgia Tech ACC board jokingly call Wake the absolute power of the conference.
I am on that Ga Tech board regularly under another (and pretty obvious) screen name. I am fully aware and fully acknowledge that Wake drives the ACC bus and the rest of us are just passengers on it.
Wake giveth and Wake taketh away. Blessed be the name of Wake.

Wake where the away fans outdraw the home fans and no one has the courage to challenge

Cuz WF is the Sigma Male who runs the league

The lawsuit hurt UConn because they individually named Fr. Leahy, Gene DeFlippio, Donna Shalala and John Swofford so they had to be co-defendants and deal with depositions etc.

The damage UConn and Richard Blumenthal did was he nuked relationships with those people.

Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, West Virginia were co-plaintiffs with UConn. Syracuse was the only Big East football school that refused to be part of that lawsuit and that decision was noted by the ACC leadership. We took our invitation lost due to Marc Warner intervention with dignity and the ACC didn’t forget which is why we were 13.

Virginia Tech had to withdraw from the UCOnn led lawsuit as they were invited. The Big East eventually settled the lawsuit for a couple million dollars and the ACC giving those 5 Big East teams a home/home series with a different ACC team.

Blumenthal nuked UConn’s relationship with several ACC schools and when Duke and UNC wanted them as 14 the others said no.
Didn’t we score a game (or maybe series) vs FSU in the early ‘00’s from the lawsuit? I remember a game or two vs FSU in ‘04 or ‘05. I remember it being a reasonably close loss, and I think it may have been a one-off in Syracuse, but I wouldn’t swear on it.

Didn’t we score a game (or maybe series) vs FSU in the early ‘00’s from the lawsuit? I remember a game or two vs FSU in ‘04 or ‘05. I remember it being a reasonably close loss, and I think it may have been a one-off in Syracuse, but I wouldn’t swear on it.
No.
Bobby Bowden did Syracuse a favor because Miami was a nonconference opponent for Florida State they had openings in 2004 and 2005.
We should have beaten Florida State in 2004. Our QB play was brutal and then Leon Washington took over a late drive to give FSU the win.

Bowden was really a good guy and agreed to slot Syracuse into the Miami spot for those 2 seasons.

Syracuse wasn’t a party to the Big East lawsuit led by UConn and didn’t receive anything.

The Settlement home/homes
Were
UConn-Virginia
Rutgers-North Carolina
West Virginia-Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh-NC State

No.
Bobby Bowden did Syracuse a favor because Miami was a nonconference opponent for Florida State they had openings in 2004 and 2005.
We should have beaten Florida State in 2004. Our QB play was brutal and then Leon Washington took over a late drive to give FSU the win.

Bowden was really a good guy and agreed to slot Syracuse into the Miami spot for those 2 seasons.

Syracuse wasn’t a party to the Big East lawsuit led by UConn and didn’t receive anything.
Bowden always said he will play anyone, anywhere at any time...and he did just that for us when we were in another scheduling bind.

he also was coaching, albeit as an assistant, when we won the ‘59 NC and then spent 10 years as either the OC or HC at WV playing us.

that was a no brainer for him, he knew the value of playing Syracuse.

the game wasn’t tv buried either, wasn’t it at 7 on ESPN??

ND and UofL have absolutely nothing in common except that border. ND wouldn’t pee on UofL’s face if their teeth were on fire.

Louisville owns a reasonably big city similar to Syracuse. That city borders Indiana. Their fan base is impressive considering all the UK and IU fans who literally live right there. Imagine us if Bonnies and Cornell had fan bases like UK and IU keep that in context when you judge Lville

That’s basketball tho I’m sure some of those 3 teams fans like ND football.

It’s their back yard.

Louisville owns a reasonably big city similar to Syracuse. That city borders Indiana. Their fan base is impressive considering all the UK and IU fans who literally live right there. Imagine us if Bonnies and Cornell had fan bases like UK and IU keep that in context when you judge Lville

That’s basketball tho I’m sure some of those 3 teams fans like ND football.

It’s their back yard.
No. UL owns a campus in a city roughly the size of Syracuse. The argument that any school “owns“ a media market is deeply flawed, and, at best, too simplistic. But regardless, I think you’re making the wrong argument. Northwestern Kentucky is weirdly Catholic.* I’m not sure if ND emphasizes the area, but it’s an opportunity. ND could and should recruit students and fans there, like they do other Catholic areas, such as Boston, NYC, Texas, California, Chicago, and so on.

I believe the counter point is that the schools have a very limited history of competing in football, and UL was far from ND’s rival in other sports while in the Big East. Also, the two schools are on very different historic and academic levels. And, even from a fan perspective, UL has close to zero buzz in virtually all of the cities that ND emphasizes.

*Theres nothing weird about being Catholic. I just associate Kentucky with being in the south (see UK’s SEC membership), and I do not associate the South with being particularity Catholic - with the exception of Miami and New Orleans, which are obvious historic outliers. Although, in all fairness, I think Louisville itself is more midwestern than southern, but again, I argue that their culture is not the norm in the overall state. And, the area is far more religious than the Midwest (compare WI alcohol laws to KY laws to see the difference), so the religious atmosphere of NW KY would be an outlier in the Midwest, too.