How will Covid affect individual player development? | Syracusefan.com

How will Covid affect individual player development?

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
The posts about Rothstein, Quincy, as well as Buddy and JG3's workouts, along with what I see my rising HS senior doing, have got me thinking. Many players have had tremendous improvements to their game from one season to the next due to offseason training, playing for international/junior teams.

I keep wondering what kind of impact we may see this year. I think you'll see players who are more physically fit/stronger this year due to offseason workouts really being the only easily available activity. Maybe we see players who had nagging injuries get beyond those injuries as well.

I'm hoping we don't see it take an extra long time for teams to gel as a group due to not being able to play together.

But most of all, I'm hoping we see basketball in 2020/2021, from start to finish. Most especially on the high school level in Vermont.

What is happening with the recent spikes is going to be tough on having a season. What is likely keeping things from being shuttered already is the lower mortality rates ( younger ppl being the spike) and the political atmosphere. That said the moment we play a game and someone tests positive from playing in that game it's lights out.

The posts about Rothstein, Quincy, as well as Buddy and JG3's workouts, along with what I see my rising HS senior doing, have got me thinking. Many players have had tremendous improvements to their game from one season to the next due to offseason training, playing for international/junior teams.

I keep wondering what kind of impact we may see this year. I think you'll see players who are more physically fit/stronger this year due to offseason workouts really being the only easily available activity. Maybe we see players who had nagging injuries get beyond those injuries as well.

I'm hoping we don't see it take an extra long time for teams to gel as a group due to not being able to play together.

But most of all, I'm hoping we see basketball in 2020/2021, from start to finish. Most especially on the high school level in Vermont.
It seems like this has some possible upside for the truly self-motivated players, especially if they have had access to a court and/or a good workout facility.

I don’t think there’s going to be a season. Scientists don’t have a handle on this , leaving govt trying to figure out measures. It appears the virus is now airborne although CDC and WHO can’t even agree on that. NCAA will probably mandate individual skill development instead of team workouts to limit exposure. Nothing makes sense and no one in science or govt has definitive answers

I don’t think there’s going to be a season. Scientists don’t have a handle on this , leaving govt trying to figure out measures. It appears the virus is now airborne although CDC and WHO can’t even agree on that. NCAA will probably mandate individual skill development instead of team workouts to limit exposure. Nothing makes sense and no one in science or govt has definitive answers

This might be the first post you make that I don’t want to give a like, but not because you’re wrong unfortunately.

Don’t see how there is a season. Too many people are afraid to go outside. Yes, the virus is very contagious. However, the fatality rate is very low. Common cold and flu symptoms will create even more paranoia this winter. Crazy time to be alive

Don’t see how there is a season. Too many people are afraid to go outside. Yes, the virus is very contagious. However, the fatality rate is very low. Common cold and flu symptoms will create even more paranoia this winter. Crazy time to be alive

I'm also in the camp that the season won't happen, which I believe is the right thing to do - you have to conservatively act in the best interest of the broader community. It's incredibly infectious and the case-fatality rate in the US (4.4%) is well above that of the spanish flu, smallpox, measles and polio.

Is there any circumstance where getting COVID helps player development?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom