How you feeling today?

• Disappointed

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • I'm Okay

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Happy it's over

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
Duke didn't make mistakes? They didn't throw the ball in to the back court on a key position? It was a tough game and the better team won. Could we have won? Yes. But our guys competed against a better team and held their own.

I saw them throw the ball out of bounds 3 times too. We just made more.

There is this huge feeling of emptiness today. The 4 games left this weekend don't mean nearly as much as they would have--will probably turn them on, but not gonna plan my whole weekend around them. Also, I agree with Cuse10 above about being frustrated -- that game was ours for the taking. Things like the missed dunks -- ugh.

When I went to bed last night the biggest positive realization that hit me all of a sudden (was even tempted to turn the laptop back on to comment) was that we played 4 games in the NCAA Tourney this year. 4 ! Two weeks ago, many of us would never have dreamed of 4. Truth be told, I didn't even think we were going to Dance this year, so was shocked on Selection Sunday (which sure made my Vegas trip so much more fun).

By the way, on the poll above, who was the person that voted "happy it's over" ? Are you nuts?

I'm not that guy but I do get tired of caring so deeply about the outcomes of games for the six months of the SU football/basketball seasons. I'm ready for six months of enjoying athletic events where I don't care so much who wins, (or, in the case of baseball, individual games are not that vital).

I was fully novocained for this one by the "house money" perspective. I didn't expect to be in the tournament and yet we won three games and came close to winning a fourth, the last two against teams that had been ranked in or near the Top 5 all year. We held the four NCAA teams to an average of 25 points under their scoring average. We played our best basketball when the whole nation was watching. And, yeah we could be great next year.

But, man we coulda shoulda won this one. the turnovers, missed dunk, miss free throws... :mad:

Old fans never die.

I concur with the majority -bit disappointed since it was within our reach but very proud of this years team. One article I read from a real scum bag at USAToday - ??? Gleason said we did ok but still did not belong in the NCAA. Really ticked me off. Looking forward to the decisions some of our players have in front of them, hope Chukwu get his fourth year of eligibility and anxiously await next season. Take care folks, see you in the Fall.

I'm good. Proud of this team and that we were very close to coming all the way back to beat one of two best teams in the tournament.

I was honestly expecting a W last night. Just seemed like a team of destiny, against all odds, our run had a Rudy movie type magic going on or so it felt... any other team but Duke, and you just knew we would be playing Sunday, I fully believe that.

About the game- Yes, we turned it over... yes we missed dunks, and ya some free throws too. That didn't faze me as JB seemed locked in, which is usually the barometer for me, as to how locked in our team is in big games. The non foul calls in the first half on duke ,and the non calls on the traveling even more so, were critical. It was really that close. If Trent misses that foul shout with 7 seconds to go, I have no doubt we win on a 3 at the buzzer. It's always disappointing to lose especially with some correctable mistakes, and in the sweet 16 to a conference rival.

On a positive note- we made it to spring still playing bball, and looked like we belonged. As disappointing and empty losing feels to us, it probably feels more painful to the players and coaches, who really put in the work to ride what ended up being a pretty good wave of play to close the year-- and made us all proud. Proud to be a fan of the effort, proud to be a fan of the great coaching job put in by JB, and hopeful that this experience and the desire to win a National Championship next year keeps this tight-nit group together one more year.

We just witnessed one of JB's best coaching jobs...ever. I'm not sure what was more impressive during the NCAAT run - how well the defense played or the ability to generate enough offense from that challenged group to come within a possession or 2 of beating Duke with all that NBA talent.

I'm not that guy but I do get tired of caring so deeply about the outcomes of games for the six months of the SU football/basketball seasons. I'm ready for six months of enjoying athletic events where I don't care so much who wins, (or, in the case of baseball, individual games are not that vital).

I was fully novocained for this one by the "house money" perspective. I didn't expect to be in the tournament and yet we won three games and came close to winning a fourth, the last two against teams that had been ranked in or near the Top 5 all year. We held the four NCAA teams to an average of 25 points under their scoring average. We played our best basketball when the whole nation was watching. And, yeah we could be great next year.

But, man we coulda shoulda won this one. the turnovers, missed dunk, miss free throws... :mad:

Old fans never die.
What about Lacrosse? You don't follow Field Hockey? We are really good at Field Hockey.

On the OP question. Extremely proud of this team and JB. With such limited pre-season expectations ... and the youth ... and the desertions ... and the injuries ... and the resulting lack of depth ... and the Selection Sunday drama of being the last in after last year's 1st out ... and the sweet bitchin' of the Gottliebs over us making it ... and the out of the (Orange and) blue Sweet 16 run . .. and the gutsy near upset of Duke ... and the brilliance of JB ... and the growth of the team throughout the season? It is one of the most satisfying seasons actually. Can't wait for next year. The D will be on the same level (certainly by March) and the O gets an automatic 15-20 pt boost (at least?) from Baz and Jalen (and Buddy?).

I think this particular team well exceeded expectations. No one expected them to be a tournament team, nonetheless win three games in it. I’m cautiously optimistic for next season. I think the goal for next year should be final four or bust. It will have been 16 years since we won a title next March. I’m itching for another one. The Final Four runs have been nice, but it’s time to seal the deal before JB retires. I’d really like to see him get title number 2 and maybe even more.
I am not cautiously optimistic, I am wildly optimistic about our team next year. I feel that another national championship is within Boeheim’s grasp! I greatly look forward to next season, but I want it to come in its due time, since a lot of life needs to be lived between now and then. I feel like the Buddha sitting in the lotus position with a tiny smile on my lips, picturing our future team, nodding my head so very slightly in acknowledgement of a potential reality that is boundless.

Well, the OP asked how I felt!

I think the consensus is that this team played with their hearts and gave it their all. How you feeling today?

We beat TCU and Michigan State. This is a successful season based on the two wins alone.

I am so happy with this team and how the season ended. Yes, we came close to beating Dook, but we made mistakes. The other team usually has something to do with that, and that was a highly ranked team with one of the few peer coaches that are still active.

I had little expectation that we would even be in the tournament. Getting to the sweet 16 again just helps cement SU as a top tier hoops program. JB again proved why is one of the best ever and in the HOF.

Next year has tremendous potential, especially if TB stays (which unfortunately I actually don't expect to happen). sorry we have to wait so long for next season to start.

I am not cautiously optimistic, I am wildly optimistic about our team next year. I feel that another national championship is within Boeheim’s grasp! I greatly look forward to next season, but I want it to come in its due time, since a lot of life needs to be lived between now and then. I feel like the Buddha sitting in the lotus position with a tiny smile on my lips, picturing our future team, nodding my head so very slightly in acknowledgement of a potential reality that is boundless.

Well, the OP asked how I felt!
bballbuddha

A little down...really want the season to continue.
A team that might have been NIT caliber jelled late and stepped up to make a run.
Great effort all around. Much appreciated!

In all honesty, I'm as high on the program as I have been all season this morning, and certainly an amazing amount more than just two weeks ago. Pfister1 made a few great points, but I'll expand with a few of my own.

The returners can and will improve.

- Dolezaj will get more strength and confidence, and we'll see tournament Dolezaj all the time next year.

- Brissett will get more consistent with his shot with a summer full of repetition.

- Sidibe will get healthy. November Sidibe showed as much potential for a Freshmen big man as I can remember. That guy will be back.

- If Battle returns, you get an All American scorer, one with the ability to hit shots at the highest level. I’m probably as high on Tyus as anyone here, as I think the only think he needs to improve is his efficiency, which will naturally come with better talent and depth.

Throw in the improvement from Howard, Chukwu, Washington, and Moyer that will come with hard work and without a recruiting class, I’d be confident this would be 5 games better easily.

Then, add in the recruiting class and Hughes, and you’ve now got genuine competition at spots, as well as the opportunity to match the lineup to the needs of the game. The defining feature that came with this team was inflexibility in Boeheim’s ability to coach. He couldn’t run many plays out of his playbook because there were only 5 true offensive players. That’s no more. In the Non-Conference season, the press created offense, but that was lost as an option because of depth. Next year, you can keep the same great defense and then throw the press in. Plus, you there close to matchup proof. They'll have guys that can get to the basket, pure shooters, and hopefully some low post moves with Sidibe.

I honestly think if Battle and Brissett do in fact come back, this is a top 5 quality team. If Battle doesn’t, as long as Hughes or Carey can fill that gap somewhat, it’s still a ranked team. I’m pumped.

Old fans never die.

No baseball?

I’d recommend it. It’s a leisurely sport that’s excellent for giving our perspective

I’m always sad when the season ends. On the other hand, I’m so thankful that we got in the tournament. The players got such a great experience and showed a lot of heart. The coaching staff gained experience scouting and preparing for four tournament games. In the postgame interviews, the players were positive and proud of each other. Huge building blocks for next year with reinforcements coming.

No baseball?

I’d recommend it. It’s a leisurely sport that’s excellent for giving our perspective

I feel good about our basketball program today and the recruits we have coming in.

I wasn't very positive about giving this team much of a season at the beginning of it all. I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome - especially the end. The team improved as the season progressed, getting better at the end and defeating two very good teams and losing to an excellent one only by 4 points in the Dance making it almost into the elite 8.

As far as this years team I feel:

Young players got more experience being in the tournament.

Young players awakened to the fact they didn't need to be afraid of any team and that they could play and defeat anyone and they almost accomplished what I thought was impossible.

Young players defeating during the season good teams like Toledo, Maryland, V Tech, Wake, Miami,Clemson, AZ State TCU Michigan State and losing to Duke by 4 only because they fouled and wouldn't let us shoot to win the game.

that JB's coaching of this team was exceptional for what he described as literally not his best team but one that never gave up and gave everything in mostly every game.

The season had it's frustrating moments, ups and downs with IMHO more downs and very close games lost to good teams. This was a team that jelled and played with their heart especially after players went down and we had no bench with three players going 40 minutes a game.

That we won't be ranked as a top ten team even with those we have coming back and in because the media does it's best not to like us.

That we'll win 25-27 games next year and startle many people. GOSU! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In all honesty, I'm as high on the program as I have been all season this morning, and certainly an amazing amount more than just two weeks ago. Pfister1 made a few great points, but I'll expand with a few of my own.

The returners can and will improve.

- Dolezaj will get more strength and confidence, and we'll see tournament Dolezaj all the time next year.

- Brissett will get more consistent with his shot with a summer full of repetition.

- Sidibe will get healthy. November Sidibe showed as much potential for a Freshmen big man as I can remember. That guy will be back.

- If Battle returns, you get an All American scorer, one with the ability to hit shots at the highest level. I’m probably as high on Tyus as anyone here, as I think the only think he needs to improve is his efficiency, which will naturally come with better talent and depth.

Throw in the improvement from Howard, Chukwu, Washington, and Moyer that will come with hard work and without a recruiting class, I’d be confident this would be 5 games better easily.

Then, add in the recruiting class and Hughes, and you’ve now got genuine competition at spots, as well as the opportunity to match the lineup to the needs of the game. The defining feature that came with this team was inflexibility in Boeheim’s ability to coach. He couldn’t run many plays out of his playbook because there were only 5 true offensive players. That’s no more. In the Non-Conference season, the press created offense, but that was lost as an option because of depth. Next year, you can keep the same great defense and then throw the press in. Plus, you there close to matchup proof. They'll have guys that can get to the basket, pure shooters, and hopefully some low post moves with Sidibe.

I honestly think if Battle and Brissett do in fact come back, this is a top 5 quality team. If Battle doesn’t, as long as Hughes or Carey can fill that gap somewhat, it’s still a ranked team. I’m pumped.
^^^^^^^^
This. Thanks for articulating. I love it!

Pretty Darn Proud of this team
All season just when it looked the worst, they beat L-ville, beat Miami, etc.
They could have folded and they came through
And then the tremendous defense once in the tourney
They really showed improvement
Its gonna be cool watching father and son next year
I am usually very happy w the sweet 16, especially so this year
Of course you have to throw in an occasional FF and would love to see JB get NC #2

Also thanks to all on this board for all the opinions and input

Now its on to the Orioles

OO44

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors