howard/carey | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

howard/carey

And he shot 33.3% when you include the ACCT and NCAAT. Sorry but those #s are kinda hideous for a major D-1 guard. One of the major reasons why SU finished ranked in the 300s in terms of 3pFG shooting as a team.

I'm not sure you realize how myopic is your argument. Have you actually looked at the numbers? Last year, overall Frank put up 497 shots and hit 187 for 37.6%. He put up 205 threes and hit 67 for 32.6 percent. I figure you'd be a happy camper if he was at 40% on both counts. Overall he'd need to make 11 more shots over the course of 37 games last year to get there. That runs out to about one more shot every third game. On the three's he made 67 or 205 for 32.6%. To get to 40% he'd have to make 15 more for the season, or one more every 2.5 games. So you're making Custer's last stand on 1 more made shot every third game and one more three every other game?

I figure it's who's on the floor at winning time that counts.

So, you're not. That's cool. Most of the pro-Trump crowd, like yourself, have run for the hills.

If you don't hate frank then I'm guessing there must be at least one post somewhere out there of yours with praise of Frank with absolutely no qualifiers in it. But that's probably a terrible guess.

I rake Chukwu through the coals with regularity. But even I've found a couple moments this year to praise the positives.

I've probably posted in less than five threads about Frank this year and the season is nearly eight weeks old. I'm far from fanatical about it so slow your roll there, fella.

Btw this is a sports board as far as I can tell and I get far more enjoyment talking about sports than I do about politics. Why you would choose to ridicule that is very strange to me.

Cool story I bet frank gets back playing well soon. Also, boeheim said frank was playing best he has this summer. We can talk in a month about this.

Thank god .. that great play in summer time is really coming up large when it counts ..

I'm not sure you realize how myopic is your argument. Have you actually looked at the numbers? Last year, overall Frank put up 497 shots and hit 187 for 37.6%. He put up 205 threes and hit 67 for 32.6 percent. I figure you'd be a happy camper if he was at 40% on both counts. Overall he'd need to make 11 more shots over the course of 37 games last year to get there. That runs out to about one more shot every third game. On the three's he made 67 or 205 for 32.6%. To get to 40% he'd have to make 15 more for the season, or one more every 2.5 games. So you're making Custer's last stand on 1 more made shot every third game and one more three every other game?

That's a creative argument. If you're going to tell me that shooting 37.6% and 32.6% is impressive then I don't know what to tell ya. But when a team finishes ranked in the 300s for three point shooting I know that is not very good. You could go through every major D-1 school in the country last year and find anywhere from 5-7 guys that shot better than 32.6% from three and were reasonably high volume shooters.

And if mike Stanton just got two more hits a week , he’d be batting champ ..

Thank god .. that great play in summer time is really coming up large when it counts ..

Why do you discount the 2 1/2 months of no basketball or mock the recovery he’s had to go through from surgery?

The midrange game is kind of a lost art all the way around in this era. Most of the focus is on the three but in this day and age you're up against it if you can't make threes. Last year's NCAAT performance made everybody forget how poorly this team played prior to March. And their three point shooting was at the top of the list as to why they played so poorly.
I look at every 3 from Frank as a bonus, but if could hit hit 38% it would make us a much better team. He has a better chance of doing so than Jalen. But as of right now, I would like to see more Jalen until Frank heals.

That's a creative argument. If you're going to tell me that shooting 37.6% and 32.6% is impressive then I don't know what to tell ya. But when a team finishes ranked in the 300s for three point shooting I know that is not very good. You could go through every major D-1 school in the country last year and find anywhere from 5-7 guys that shot better than 32.6% from three and were reasonably high volume shooters.

You miss the point. I'm not talking about percentages, you are. I'm not comparing to any other school. I am saying that this percentage or that percentage doesn't mean jack shite when a couple of bounces here and there changes those numbers pretty darn quick. Both Frank and Battle made big plays at the end of games last year. I'm saying that's what matters. Who cares if Frank is 2-10 but hits two down the stretch to win the game? Against ND, Frank hit one to open the 2nd half to get us the lead back. And he hit a 3 that closed the game out. Winning the game is the point, isn't it?

And if mike Stanton just got two more hits a week , he’d be batting champ ..
I'll take a .240 hitter who gets a knock at the end of the game to win it than a .300 hitter who can't deliver in the clutch anyday.

I'll take a .240 hitter who gets a knock at the end of the game to win it than a .300 hitter who can't deliver in the clutch anyday.

in fairness, i don't think i would.

i just think people are not considering the extent of frank's injury.

You miss the point. I'm not talking about percentages, you are. I'm not comparing to any other school. I am saying that this percentage or that percentage doesn't mean jack shite when a couple of bounces here and there changes those numbers pretty darn quick. Both Frank and Battle made big plays at the end of games last year. I'm saying that's what matters. Who cares if Frank is 2-10 but hits two down the stretch to win the game? Against ND, Frank hit one to open the 2nd half to get us the lead back. And he hit a 3 that closed the game out. Winning the game is the point, isn't it?

I can't really get on board with this point. In this scenario, go 4-10 earlier in the game and there's no need for last minute heroics.

You'd have to go back and see how the discussion started. I know there is more to the game than three point shooting. The discussion was a narrow one as I was responding to a comment about Frank's three point shooting.

So would I. How does Frank Howard work his way into that thesis?

I refer you to crash Davis. The fact is Frank didn't make those extra shots, so he is the shooter his % say he is.
Being on the floor at winning time is only meaningful if, in ,fact, you win. Otherwise, you are actually on the floor at losing time.

I think everyone is getting too attached to 3pt shooting pct. when defining a persons ability to shoot.

Frank has never been a strong 3pt shooter, probably never will be, but the staff was certainly expecting him to shoot a higher pct from 3 this year based on his work over the summer.

However, what I believe they miss more is his mid range game. He was a very solid option down the stretch last year in that 10-15 foot range.

He hit occasional 3s mostly uncontested shots.

He has had almost no success in that mid range game this year, and only the past couple of games has he hit meaningful 3s.

3pt shooting pcts don’t always tell the story. It’s a nice stat for fans to throw around, but college staffs chart shooting ability in a much more meaningful way.
the easiest and laziest way to tell who is or isn't a good shooter is to look at the FT line (not perfect but eliminates offensive problems with contested bad shots). howard is pretty good there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom