howard/carey | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

howard/carey

There are very few stats that have the potential to be more misleading in hoops than plus/minus. A player can be on the floor and have the good fortune of witnessing a teammate(s) nail several threes in a sequence or watch the opponent go ice cold on the other end or vice versa the other way. These developments may be very loosely correlated to an individual's play.

Frank played well in the second half. If you guys can’t see that you’re letting your bias get in the way. He set Hughes up on kick outs numerous times.

Frank played well in the second half. If you guys can’t see that you’re letting your bias get in the way. He set Hughes up on kick outs numerous times.

I didn't mention anything about Frank Howard though I'll be the first to admit he doesn't impress me. Frank was fine today, made a few nice plays and hit a couple of threes. Nothing to get overly excited about but he certainly contributed to the win. .

I'm just telling you plus/minus stats can be very misleading. That's all.

And overall for the game you were wrong. We were plus 11 with Frank in the game and -2 with Carey.
+\- is just awful but frank’s second half was definitely solid and not sure why carey sat so much in the first

I didn't mention anything about Frank Howard though I'll be the first to admit he doesn't impress me. Frank was fine today, made a few nice plays and hit a couple of threes. Nothing to get overly excited about but he certainly contributed to the win. .

I'm just telling you plus/minus stats can be very misleading. That's all.

Why’d you respond to my post then?

I like Carey and we are going to need him, but he can’t shoot and he’s out of control at times and I think that’s why JB doesn’t play him as much as the fans want.

I like Carey and we are going to need him, but he can’t shoot and he’s out of control at times and I think that’s why JB doesn’t play him as much as the fans want.

I was commenting on you using plus/minus when that stat can be completely meaningless. You criticize Carey's shooting - you impressed with Howard's shooting?

100%. I think he should be playing a little more though. I wouldn’t give him the keys though as soon seen to want

Thought Carey was great in his early minutes in the 1st half. I probably would have stuck with him longer there. Also probably would have given him another run in that half.

But I don’t think he played well at all in the 2nd.

Frank played well in the 2nd -nothing overwhelming - but he seemed more in tune and hit a couple threes.

I was commenting on you using plus/minus when that stat can be completely meaningless. You criticize Carey's shooting - you impressed with Howard's shooting?

No, but I’m thinking macro here, not micro.

Frank shot 37% in ACC play last year. We are going to need him to continue to progress if we are going to be successful.

Carey is very athletic, but skill wise he needs a ton of Refinement and he’s out of control at times. JB isn’t going to put up with that much this year.

+\- is just awful but frank’s second half was definitely solid and not sure why carey sat so much in the first

It means more than people want to admit IMo. Steph Curry has lead the NBA in plus/minus for like 6 years in a row. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

It means more than people want to admit IMo. Steph Curry has lead the NBA in plus/minus for like 6 years in a row. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.
I mean... the best team the last 6 years?

No, but I’m thinking macro here, not micro.

Frank shot 37% in ACC play last year. We are going to need him to continue to progress if we are going to be successful.

Carey is very athletic, but skill wise he needs a ton of Refinement and he’s out of control at times. JB isn’t going to put up with that much this year.

I think Carey has much more upside than Howard this year but that's just my opinion. I love how folks cherry pick that one season of ACC shooting and ignore all of the other overwhelming evidence that Frank is just not a very good shooter. If we're relying on Frank to be the guy to deliver the goods from downtown then we're in deep doo-doo. He's a 29% career three point shooter. We've got better options in terms of outside shooting.

I think Carey has much more upside than Howard this year but that's just my opinion. I love how folks cherry pick that one season of ACC shooting and ignore all of the other overwhelming evidence that Frank is just not a very good shooter. If we're relying on Frank to be the guy to deliver the goods from downtown then we're in deep doo-doo. He's a 29% career three point shooter. We've got better options in terms of outside shooting.

Yeah cause players are the same as freshman than they are juniors. You’re smarter than that.

Yeah cause players are the same as freshman than they are juniors. You’re smarter than that.
He's really not.

No understanding of what progression actually means.

Wait a minute...are you saying Carey is a better shooter than Frank? I love Carey’s potential but Frank’s jumper is better by a lot. I don’t care what percentages you throw at me.

He's really not.

No understanding of what progression actually means.

Progression. lol

Even if I grant that Howard got off to a slow start in the 2017/2018 season during the OOC portion of the schedule then let's just include the ACC regular season, ACCT and the NCAAT. When you include just these three from last year then FH shot a blazing 33.3% from beyond the arc. Yeah I guess that's progression from his career 3FG% of 29%. He went from woeful to not even mediocre.

When I read folks talking about FH's three point shooting capabilities here I want to throw up in my mouth. Do you guys watch any college hoops? A guard from a major D-1 school with FH's 3FG% is firmly entrenched in the bottom quartile. This is not even debatable.

Wait a minute...are you saying Carey is a better shooter than Frank? I love Carey’s potential but Frank’s jumper is better by a lot. I don’t care what percentages you throw at me.

Better options would include Hughes, Brissett and Battle.

Progression. lol

Even if I grant that Howard got off to a slow start in the 2017/2018 season during the OOC portion of the schedule then let's just include the ACC regular season, ACCT and the NCAAT. When you include just these three from last year then FH shot a blazing 33.3% from beyond the arc. Yeah I guess that's progression from his career 3FG% of 29%. He went from woeful to not even mediocre.

When I read folks talking about FH's three point shooting capabilities here I want to throw up in my mouth. Do you guys watch any college hoops? A guard from a major D-1 school with FH's 3FG% is firmly entrenched in the bottom quartile. This is not even debatable.

Yeah I watch a lot of hoops and he got off to a horrendous start in the OOC last year and was our best shooter in conference play which holds a lot more weight than performances against a bunch of cupcakes.

You and a couple others have been banging the anti-Frank Schtick for years and it’s hard to take you guys seriously. For the record people here thought Malachi was a great shooter and he shot the same as Frank last year.

Better options would include Hughes, Brissett and Battle.

Fair to note that Battle shot 32% from 3 last year and is at 33% this year?

Yeah I watch a lot of hoops and he got off to a horrendous start in the OOC last year and was our best shooter in conference play which holds a lot more weight than performances against a bunch of cupcakes.

You and a couple others have been banging the anti-Frank Schtick for years and it’s hard to take you guys seriously. For the record people here thought Malachi was a great shooter and he shot the same as Frank last year.

Even when I exclude the OOC portion of last year I've just shown you that FH shot 33.3% from three and yet you won't acknowledge how poorly that percentage is. BTW SU ranked somewhere in the 300s last year for three point shooting.

Fair to note that Battle shot 32% from 3 last year and is at 33% this year?

Def fair. He can't shoot from three either and I'd say he's very marginally better than Frank. They both suck from three. That doesn't make Frank's #s look any better.

Even when I exclude the OOC portion of last year I've just shown you that FH shot 33.3% from three and yet you won't acknowledge how poorly that percentage is. BTW SU ranked somewhere in the 300s last year for three point shooting.

I’m not sure where you’re getting your stats from. Making up facts like the rest of society?

He’s shot 33 percent from his entire career in conference which includes his freshman and sophomore year where people agree he wasn’t good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom