Howard Washington played very well | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington played very well

Glad to see him get some extended minutes today. I've been hoping for this for a bit, and while he looked good today, he has not lived up to expectations earlier in the year.

But, he's so active on defense, and he truly runs the team like a PG should. Finding guys at the right time in positions to score. Makes it easy on his teammates.

His only real mistake he was being too unselfish.

he’s confident with the ball which is more than our guards can say

Kind of pissed with JB's statement in his presser where he said it was easy for Howard to get the assists when the other guys make shots. Kind of the whole point JB - when the guys get the ball at the right time, they have an easier time making those shots.

Kind of pissed with JB's statement in his presser where he said it was easy for Howard to get the assists when the other guys make shots. Kind of the whole point JB - when the guys get the ball at the right time, they have an easier time making those shots.
It’s so devoid of basketball nuance that I can’t believe a HC would ever say that.

There’s a difference between getting shooters the ball in rhythm and getting them the ball half a beat early/late or hitting them with an inaccurate pass.

guys have been getting wide open shots since the Virg game. just dont go in most of the time
Yeah, in some cases that's true. There's a difference though in waiting for the pass, tensing your body, and having to wait compared to getting the pass in your natural motion, and just shooting in rhythm.

shooting is so much easier not trying to stay in a game or come from 10 down..
And when those first few go through the hoop as well. No doubt about it.

It's petulant, dickish stuff like this that Boeheim says about players all too often that I'm just tired of.

If you want to talk that way about the refs, about the crowd, that's fine. But not your own players.
He has literally destroyed more players in recent years than the number he has improved.

It's petulant, dickish stuff like this that Boeheim says about players all too often that I'm just tired of.

If you want to talk that way about the refs, about the crowd, that's fine. But not your own players.
He has literally destroyed more players in recent years than the number he has improved.
And completely unnecessary. I have no idea what he could hope to gain from these types of comments.

He seems to have jumped ahead of Brycen Goodine in the PT pecking order.

He's playing better than Brycen. Howard deserves more minutes after that last game.
Boeheim was all over Girard about those travels on that shuffle move, but he doesn't want to start Howard. He wants Girard to start.
I thought, at least for one game, the offense moved much better with Howard than with Girard, just as it moved better with Girard in past games than it did with Carey or Goodine.

Man, he must have crushed the guys that didn't start hitting shots until Hughes put us up 20!

It’s so devoid of basketball nuance that I can’t believe a HC would ever say that.

There’s a difference between getting shooters the ball in rhythm and getting them the ball half a beat early/late or hitting them with an inaccurate pass.

Boeheim did nothing but complement Howard, in fact more than any other player. The answer to Mike’s question is being completely misconstrued. It sounded anything but disparaging towards Howard. It was more of testament to the fact that he passes well and the opportunity for assists are there. It just requires the receiver to make the shot. Pretty simple. Not some outrageous comment.

I like Howard at PG and if he continues to play well should get 10-30 minutes a game. Like how he swings the ball to his teammates and doesn't wait to have his shot stopped first before he passes the ball. That is a big part of the offensive flow problem...the PG tries to drive/shoot can't and is forced to pass thus taking away a lot of the flow of the offense and the shooters scramble to get open instead of already being open.

I didn't listen to the Boeheim interview but I find it interesting on how people react to it like they hear 2 completely different things.

Glad to see him get some extended minutes today. I've been hoping for this for a bit, and while he looked good today, he has not lived up to expectations earlier in the year.

But, he's so active on defense, and he truly runs the team like a PG should. Finding guys at the right time in positions to score. Makes it easy on his teammates.

I won't get into JB's presser b/c I tend to read those differently than most of the board, but the defensive activity jumped out to me. I actually think JGIII does the same type of thing but he's green and gets out of position a bit too much. Regardless I actually think those two at the PG spot should be the rotation and Brycen can get a few minutes when we can find them. The fact that Girard, Washington, Marek and to a slightly lesser extent Hughes share the ball well is easily the brightest spot of the season and I think our activity defensively from the guards has been good as well.

The problem, of course, is we have a bunch of other holes that are hurting us. Hope we can improve in other areas and see a bit more of Washington going forward. Not sure that gets us where we want to be ultimately but we're at least making progress.

I'm a big Washington fan, I think he and Girard were the 2 best PGs we had this year. I wish they would've played the position more in Italy and beyond.
I'm rooting for the kid. He seems to have a good work ethic and a good attitude, and is coming back from not only a stroke but also a torn ACL. Having once torn an ACL myself, I know it takes a long time to recover from that. It's got to be especially tough to recover to the point of effectiveness as a D1 athlete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom